Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only One Key

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my is200 with only 1 key which was master key but button function broke. Bought buttons to solder to board but discovered board broke so got a key cut so could open doors when frozen to minimise risk of key snapping. It worked in ignition if next to master key. I filed edges down so it also worked with glove box and boot.

After awhile of unlocking manually and no alarm I got a new master key this Thursday from lexus in Bolton at a cost of £160. They needed me to email copy of log book then they ordered key from lexus then booked me appointment to have programmed and took 10 min.

post-45814-0-90399800-1358583823.jpg cheers for your support and advice guys.

Yep master key :)

As shreksta said a new key will cost u about £160 from Lexus.

If you lose all keys to the car then it's a nightmare. Worst case scenario is you'll need a new ECU, new door locks and new ignition barrel and new keys at a cool price of £2000 from Lexus!

Same for me. I should have asked about keys before going miles to see the car, the seller only had one, but at least it's the master. I phoned Lexus and they said I need to bring the key along with ID and car registration doc etc, (just to prove I'm not trying to nick it) They then order a new key from Germany which takes a week, then they do the technical stuff which they say takes 20 mins, all for around £150. At lot of money but not as much as it would cost if that key was lost.

Same for me. I should have asked about keys before going miles to see the car, the seller only had one, but at least it's the master. I phoned Lexus and they said I need to bring the key along with ID and car registration doc etc, (just to prove I'm not trying to nick it) They then order a new key from Germany which takes a week, then they do the technical stuff which they say takes 20 mins, all for around £150. At lot of money but not as much as it would cost if that key was lost.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. It's cheaper to get the new keys ordered than pay a fortune for new everything. And of course, now that I'm a membr of the Lexus Owners Club, I want to make sure that the vehicle is working correctly with all the proper items it should have.

Stuart

i always though that the master key have 3 button (boot release) correct me if i'm wrong :eerrrmm:

Not always, some did come with 2 button master keys. Basically if it's a black casing it's a master key. We had a huge discussion on here over this a few months back, can't find the thread now. :)

If you lose all keys to the car then it's a nightmare. Worst case scenario is you'll need a new ECU, new door locks and new ignition barrel and new keys at a cool price of £2000 from Lexus!

Please mate, stop posting up stories like this to scare people- it simply isnt true.

You can have have your ECU reprogrammed to accept new keys- when I got my car, the only key I had loked like a master key, but wasnt.

An autolocksmith reprogrammed my ECU to accept the key, and the spare I had as well.

My post from April 2010...

For all those that may have read recently I had some issues coded a 2nd key to my new (to me) purchase last week.

The car was taken to Lexus guildford for coding where I was told that my master key was actually a sub key and that they couldnt code my spare key.

they did however give me the details of an auto locksmith who said that he could copy the key so it would be a spare, but neither would be the master key. The cost of this was £105 plus vat.

I had a look around where I work and found one literally round the corner from where I work in Gatwick and had a chat with him yesterday and booked it in for this morning.

The result??

I now have 2 coded master keys, with the spare also programmed for door unlocking as well.

The cost??

£150 inc.vat.. The imobiliser was removed and reflashed so that it recognised both keys as Master keys. He went through and showed me that the car actually had 5 keys coded for it!!

Anyway, its all sorted, for a relatively small amount- especially if you take into account people and dealers saying you need new keys and an ECU- you dont. you just need a decent auto locksmith who knows what they are doing...

For anyone who wants his details- he's Gatwick based but is mobile (and I guess the price charged would reflect that?)

????: ###### # Forum http://www.**********club.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7713

Anyway:

Gatwick Auto Locksmiths, Kelvin Way, Crawley, RH10 9SE

01293 536377

dave@autolocksmiths.co.uk

Can thoroughly recomend them, they did a superb job- even if I do have to go back tomorrow as I was £10 short..

J

Not trying to scare anybody fella just relaying the information given to me by Lexus Bristol. Call em if you don't believe me. And they even said no other locksmith can do this but I took that with a pinch of salt as they would say that wouldn't they to get the buisness!

And of course there's other ways around it. Get all your bits from a broken is200 for example. Find a decent locksmith as you did.

I assume people on forums are grown adults able to make up their own minds and choose their own course of action, not blindly follow whatever anybody says on a forum. Like I said relaying what the Lexus dealer told me that is all

Before i had new master key made i only had 1 key and wanted a key just incase locks froze up.

If you have a sub key or copy done you will only be able to put them in door lock and ignition but if you look at master key, you will see the endge is angled inwards so I got a metal file and did the same on key from local key maker and it now works in glove box and in boot.

Please mate, stop posting up stories like this to scare people- it simply isnt true.

You can have have your ECU reprogrammed to accept new keys- when I got my car, the only key I had loked like a master key, but wasnt.

An autolocksmith reprogrammed my ECU to accept the key, and the spare I had as well.

My post from April 2010...

For all those that may have read recently I had some issues coded a 2nd key to my new (to me) purchase last week.

The car was taken to Lexus guildford for coding where I was told that my master key was actually a sub key and that they couldnt code my spare key.

they did however give me the details of an auto locksmith who said that he could copy the key so it would be a spare, but neither would be the master key. The cost of this was £105 plus vat.

I had a look around where I work and found one literally round the corner from where I work in Gatwick and had a chat with him yesterday and booked it in for this morning.

The result??

I now have 2 coded master keys, with the spare also programmed for door unlocking as well.

The cost??

£150 inc.vat.. The imobiliser was removed and reflashed so that it recognised both keys as Master keys. He went through and showed me that the car actually had 5 keys coded for it!!

Anyway, its all sorted, for a relatively small amount- especially if you take into account people and dealers saying you need new keys and an ECU- you dont. you just need a decent auto locksmith who knows what they are doing...

For anyone who wants his details- he's Gatwick based but is mobile (and I guess the price charged would reflect that?)

????: ###### # Forum http://www.**********club.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7713

Anyway:

Gatwick Auto Locksmiths, Kelvin Way, Crawley, RH10 9SE

01293 536377

dave@autolocksmiths.co.uk

Can thoroughly recomend them, they did a superb job- even if I do have to go back tomorrow as I was £10 short..

J

Not trying to scare anybody fella just relaying the information given to me by Lexus Bristol. Call em if you don't believe me. And they even said no other locksmith can do this but I took that with a pinch of salt as they would say that wouldn't they to get the buisness!

And of course there's other ways around it. Get all your bits from a broken is200 for example. Find a decent locksmith as you did.

I assume people on forums are grown adults able to make up their own minds and choose their own course of action, not blindly follow whatever anybody says on a forum. Like I said relaying what the Lexus dealer told me that is all

Hey guys, thank you both for your answers. I would've gone to Lexus as a matter of course, but I was surprised at how much they suggested a replacement audio unit would cost.

Thank you Jason. Yes there are other people out there who are who are likely to be as competent and less expensive as Lexus.

Thank you Chris. Yes, if you go to Lexus, they may charge more and maybe replace items that don't necessarily need to be changed. I'm not doubting the quality of the work that they would carry out. I don't view what you said as a scare story.

Stuart.

If that's was me and have a master key and if I want a additional master I would take my to lexus dealer to so it's out, end of the day u actually dealing with car security here!!. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links