Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Pas Fluid Leak At The Steering Rack

Hi All, not been on here for ages because the old girl rarely goes wrong and im always busy fixing the Rover 75.

Anyway, I was under the LS (1993and 190k miles ) repairing the Y pipe again when i noticed I have a major leak of fluid, as in dribbling from under a rubber seal at the top just under the knuckle joint, on the off side of the steering rack.

Please tell me there is an easy repair for this and its not going to need the rack removing.

post-26509-0-69728900-1358617557.jpg

Maybe that knuckle can come upwards for space, or loosening a couple of bolts on the rack will give enough room to play with...

You need a proper mechanic with this who can work around places rather than someone who'll follow a book and drop everything down.

In your picture the lower pipe looks corroded? [or is it just dirt] where it attaches to the rack.

If this is the source I would just keep the steering topped up until the summer, then have a closer look!

It's not like you to abandon it!

At the top right corner of the picture is a universal knuckle joint; top half dry bottom half wet; directly under the wet half of the knuckle joint you can see a rubber cap (sitting on top of the cast body that the 2 snaking pipes attach to). Its from under that rubber cap that the fluid is leaking.

What looks like corrosion is a build up of dust and fluid.

I topped up the fluid when SWMBO was going shopping last week because i could hear the PAS pump whining. Ive just checked and its not showing on the dip stick. Or course ive topped it up again but I dont think it will be in there long.

Thanks for that Steve,

Looking at my photo and the exploded diagram on your link it looks like it will be a pig to fix. I dont even know if i will be able to unfasten that knuckle joint so that I stand a chance of replacing the whole unit; the cast part i mean, not the whole rack.

At a cursory glance, the rack looks like a big job to remove.

Has anyone got any details about removing this case part for repair or replacement?

I dont want to see the old girl fade away.

It isnt many cars you buy as a 1 month stop gap and get so attached to that you still have her 5 years later. Listern to me referring to the car as "her"; I must be mad!

The dust cover is part# 45222-50010

With the valve housing removed [2 bolts, this is the top bit.]

There is an O ring for it part# 90301-57003

Below that is the oilseal part# 90311-19006, this seams the likely culprit

Below that is a bearing pt# 90363-19002

There are several rings below this that are probably not anything to do with the leak.

According to the manual, track rod ends have to be released and the ends removed from the rack.

Put matchmarks on the universal joint before slackening the upper bolt and removing the lower bolt

Before starting the steering wheel has to be centered and fixed securely, they say by strapping it up with the seat belt

It must not move when seperating the universal joint, or you have to centre the spiral cable.[steering wheel off!]

When refitting the pipes refit the rotation stopper in the valve holes first

When refitting rod ends the gap between the end of the rod [not the nut] and the start of the threads on the rack is 32mm.

Hope this does't put you off it sounds worse than the job is......I think.....

I forgot, O rings for the pipes are pt# 90430-10008

Royt, you are a star. Where did you get the information from? and are there any diagrams with parts labeled?

Im going to PM Benfur and get in touch with the Lexus dealers to find out if a replacement unit is cost effective or if there is a repair kit for it.

Of no use to you whatsoever, but just to say I'm glad you're still in the land of the Lexus living. Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how it goes.

Phil

How nice of you The-Acre,

Havent been active on teh forum since june 2012 when I changed the rear wishbones and discs because ive been busy doing a Diploma and keeping the Rover 75 on the road. The LS has been faultless since then too.

Re the issue I have now; Ive found a second hand rack on eBay for £60 delivered. I think thats the way to go.

Anyone got a How-To or advice for changing the whole rack???

Big hugs all round.

do you guys not have access to a service manual? we have one for the LS430, dealer level and very comprehensive for absolutely anything.

I seem to recall the manual for the LS is a bit like Lord Lucan. It would be really nice to have a Haynes type manual at least. And at the risk of going a little bit off topic, Sir John of Cumbria, what's the diploma in?

Looks like just follow my previous post for dismantling, plus remove the pipes and then the complete unit.

There is no mention of removing the steering damper, I think once you start it will become self evident what has

to be removed and any short cuts .

I have the three part manual for series two Ls 400, expensive but you soon save the cost in labour charges if

you can do some jobs yourself.

do you guys not have access to a service manual? we have one for the LS430, dealer level and very comprehensive for absolutely anything.

Sam out of intrest where did you get the manual from is it electronic or printed?

And how are you getting on with the AC compressor?

Thanks for all the help guys.

I always do my own mantainance and repairs no matter what it is. Dont have a manual though. I seem to remember there is one on cd or dvd??

The-Acre,

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). You had to be qualified to practice and register with the FSA anyway but the FSA decided that all IFAs had to requalify before Jan 1st 2013. So thats what it was for, Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA).

It cost me 2 to 3 months of study time last year. Just to qualify for a job I was already qualified for.

How low can you get stealing a tutorial from another Lexus Club! :D

http://www.clublexus...cement-diy.html

Up to a few months ago I had a newly reconditioned LS400 rack still in the wrapping in my garage then sold it on Fleabay!

If you do need one I have a known good one off the LS400 I'm breaking.

If you want the manual PM your email and i'll attach the PDF.

I always do my own mantainance and repairs no matter what it is. Dont have a manual though. I seem to remember there is one on cd or dvd??

The-Acre,

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). You had to be qualified to practice and register with the FSA anyway but the FSA decided that all IFAs had to requalify before Jan 1st 2013. So thats what it was for, Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA).

It cost me 2 to 3 months of study time last year. Just to qualify for a job I was already qualified for.

Impressive. That's why you're a sir and I'm just a carpenter!

The-Acre,

Impressive. That's why you're a sir and I'm just a carpenter!

Im just plain old Jonathan. I registered on the forum on 2008 (never been on one before) as Sir Johns Lexus because my LS was first owned by Sir John Harvey Jones. I didnt think Sir John was going to come up on my posts. I just put Sir Johns Lexus because I couldnt think of anything else to put and It used to be his Lexus. Its just coincidence that my name of jonathan.

And your not "just a carpenter" your a carpenter and a bloody good one too ill bet.

How low can you get stealing a tutorial from another Lexus Club! :D

http://www.clublexus...cement-diy.html

Up to a few months ago I had a newly reconditioned LS400 rack still in the wrapping in my garage then sold it on Fleabay!

If you do need one I have a known good one off the LS400 I'm breaking.

If you want the manual PM your email and i'll attach the PDF.

Massive thanks to Steve, Ive put that link into my favourites. reading it it doent sound too bad. Looks like the old girl will make 20 after all. Its her birthday in December.

Sam out of intrest where did you get the manual from is it electronic or printed?

And how are you getting on with the AC compressor?

The weather and family are holding me back to be honest, I only do car work in the warehouse where it's safe and warm and getting there is a pain at the moment!

The manual is electronic and you can download it and it opens in IE.

It's the dealer manual for doing quite literally anything to the LS430.

It's on my main PC, will link it over to you as Toyota Corp had all the download links removed.

Right there is a similar to the ls430 an ls400 repair manual however again Toyota have removed it from all links so it's taking some extra work to find it!! bare with me ..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links