Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service Advice For Is200

asharb123

Hi,

I've just discovered that my IS200 may not have been serviced since September 2008. I have my fingers crossed that it was serviced when the timing belt was changed 2011. I'm waiting for the garage to confirm.

The car is not high mileage its a 2000 X reg Auto and only covered 71800 miles. It has only done 25000 miles from the service in 2008 until now.

The obvious service things will be oil, oil filter, air filter, check pollen filter and spark plugs. If the spark plugs need changing what make should I use? Nippon Denso or NGK?

I've got a duplicate service book and the information in there does not relate to the IS200.

What other things should I get checked /changed? Someone mentioned diff oil? Coolant?

Thanks

(Apologies I realised I've posted this in the wrong area, I don't know how to delete this and move it to engines and transmission).

both NGK and Denso can be used and they need to be the iridium types. diff fluid is every 20k or 2years and coolant is either 5 or 10 years depending on the type of coolant used. I think Toyota/Lexus OEM coolants are 10years but worth giving them a ring to check. or just buy the 5 year ones from Halfords or eurocarparts. if you want to give your IS the full overhaul its.

5W-30 engine oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, diff fluid, gearbox fluid, engine coolant, spark plugs and this IS will be running like a smooth operator !!

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling that I will be doing the full service as the garage that did the timing belt can't tell me if they serviced the car. I do have a question about the fuel filter, when I rang Lexus for a price he could not find it. He thought it might be inside the fuel tank?

Would you recommend Lexus parts or other OEM manufacturers as there is a big difference in price in the air and oil filter.

to be honest i havent replaced my fuel filter and car has been fine but i have only had it a year so not sure if Lexus did it at the 60K service. i use top tier fuels like Shell unleaded and Shell V power and stay away from Supermarket fuels (but thats just me) so i know it would have the right fuel additives to clean the fuel filter, fuel tank,and internal engine components during combustion. even if i dont get extra power from this fuel at least i know my engine and components are being cleaned when am driving. Lexus parts are quality and i personally think parts like air and oil filter are not that pricey but saying that I am currenlty not using Toyota air filter or oil filter. am running Apex'i performance panel filter and Blueprint oil filter but if you need oil and are filter see below link from Lexus birminghams eBay store.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LEXUS-AIR-FILTER-IS200-/181014961723?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a25551e3b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Oil-Filter-/170971980051?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ceb96113

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LEXUS-POLLEN-FILTER-IS200-IS300-plus-RX300-1-/170971980647?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ceb96367

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Spark-Plugs-SK20R11-Iridium-/170900441496?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ca75c998

Thanks Noby76, for the links the prices are better than my local dealer. The air filter and oil filter from my local parts shop were half the price of Lexus, but I'm going to buy the original parts from Lexusbrim. I have to be honest, I've not been using quality fuel and been persuaded by pump prices. However, once the car has been serviced I'm then going to have the Terraclean Service on the car, in their words this would "decarbonise the engine, restore mpg, reduce emissions and regain performance". I saw this on Wheeler Dealers and have not read any bad comments about this.

Chris thanks for the advice re the fuel filter. I would have bought this and tried to get this replaced.

I love the IS200, I've had a couple but never needed to worry about them as they've all been fully Lexus serviced by previous owners. This one I bought off my uncle has been a bit of pain. What I thought was a bargain, has not turned out to be not as much of a bargin. However I'm hoping once everything is done, there will be new life in the car and I can keep for the long term.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Always worth having the car serviced properly although not at main dealer prices. There are good ones around if you look. I had a full service with all plugs filters and fluids changed for 350 and more things checked and changed that Lexus do. Also had the Cambelt done with Lexus parts for 280. The guys who service it build Japanese track and fast road cars so know what they are doing and are really helpful and knowledgeable too.

Thanks for the reply Andy. Could you please tell me where you went to get this done as you don't mention the name of the garage. Do they have a website I can take a look at. I have a few more things I need to get looked at. Thanks

Not all main dealers will rip you off. Yes they can be extremely expensive for repairs and diagnostics but I got my 10 year/100k service done at Lexus Bristol for £350 inc VAT.

Ok for spark plugs as well it would've been £430 but I changed the plugs myself. Also dealers will negotiate, don't be scared to haggle a little :)

Hi Ashar, the garage is called performance autoworks in GLoucestershire. Their labour rate is about half what my local Lexus dealer charge plus they do a complete look over of the car to see if anything else needs doing.

Chris thanks for that, I don't have any mechanic skills so I rely on others to look after my car. I am down the road in Swindon, do you know anyone local who could do the proper alignment of the suspension as I know the standard set up is not supposed to be that good and setting it properly is supposed to make a massive difference?

Take a trip to WIM (wheels in motion) in Chesham mate. Yes it's an hour and half drive away from Swindon but worth it. The savings you will make in tyres is worth the trip alone. Give them a call and ask to speak to Tony (the Dr). He will explain everything to you including how the IS200/300 left the factory with the wrong geometry settings. Tony has solved the inner tyre wear problem and has a perfect set up for the car. Mine felt like getting a brand new car back honestly! pretty much the only place to go for geometry in the UK if you own a 1st gen IS :)

Oh and book it in. Don't just turn up. They are pretty much fully booked every day so book with a week a so notice. It's £115 all in

Thanks Chris, I will book it when I get some time off. My inner tyres were almost bald while the rest of the tyre was legal so understand what you are saying. Hopefully with the Eibach upgrades I have it should handle really nicely. Nice looking car by the way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links