Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sliding Centre Storage Box

I am trying to trace an annoying rattle which occurs mainly when the car is cold but can be heard slightly when warm. (I hate any rattles). Passengers think it is coming from the drivers side I think it's coming from the passenger side so the conclution seems to be somewhere in the middle. I have run with the box empty but that made no difference. The box must have a heating duct in it to allow air exit at the rear and as the noise gets less as the car warms up I think it may be coming from there so remove have a look and replace is what I would like to do. .

I can't even find it in the exploded diagram parts list, unless you can find the part number stamped on it.

Looks like a case of careful examination with a torch to look for the mounting points, just wondering if the seats have to come out though.

Seems like a drastic course of action given that you are not sure where the noise is coming from. You may find that the rattle does not come from there, AND that you will have introduced a new one when putting the console back!

Any chance you could get someone else to drive the car while you move around from one seat to another trying to find the definitive source of the noise?

I have an annoying rattle in mine which I thought came from a front speaker, or an air vent. Took me days to work out that it came from the cowling over the rev counter (still not fixed... not sure what to do).

With regards to your comments, it may not have anything to do with the hearing duct, but more with the noise frequency/vibration that changes as the engine warms up.

Have you checked:

- the cup holders compartment (cup holders themselves and the compartment lid). Does it make any difference if the compartment is closed or open?

- the console lid and its open/close switches? Does it make any difference whether the console is closed or open?

- there should be a removable plastic insert within the console. Have you checked that there is nothing wedged underneath it like a coin? Have you tried taking it out (it just pulls out)

- Is the lighting within the console working (I think there is an orange lilght within the console and a blue one within the cup holders). If it is not, maybe one of the little bulbs has worked itself loose

- Have you tried sliding the console back and forth to check that nothing is wedged underneath? Does the rattle increase/decrease depending on the position of the console?

CAn't think of anything else...

• Like 1

It is pretty easy to remove. Move both front seats all the way forward and the console all the way back. Then with a small flat blade screwdriver remove the 2 covers (1 on each side of the box) then you will see 6 x 10mm head bolts. Remove these, the adjustment cable and 1 multi plug connector. 10 minute job.

It can slide! So it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me.

Am sure if you look under the covers and mounts there are bolts that you can unscrew to get it loose. But then there are those airway vents, I reckon it will be an ugly site without the Coolbox in that gap. Why do you want to remove it, just curious?

I am trying to trace an annoying rattle which occurs mainly when the car is cold but can be heard slightly when warm. (I hate any rattles). Passengers think it is coming from the drivers side I think it's coming from the passenger side so the conclution seems to be somewhere in the middle. I have run with the box empty but that made no difference. The box must have a heating duct in it to allow air exit at the rear and as the noise gets less as the car warms up I think it may be coming from there so remove have a look and replace is what I would like to do. .

There you are, the full story. Thanks for all the replies but I think I have traced the rattie to the heater outlet above the driver's footwell. I need to find a way of making it a bit more secure but its in an awkward place and I think that there is an air bag in that vicinity.

I have an annoying rattle from passenger seat....but only happens when wifes in car???? :whistling:

Funny I used to have that issue with my is300 sportcross passange sit drops flat forward to make a little table. Is yours a sportcross?. Told my Mrs sit straight and not slouch either that or sit in the back.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh joy. Rattle has been found and elimiinated. No it was'nt the wife but it was the drop down cover which houses the interior motion sensors which is in front of the interior light/sliding roof switches, a bit of sticky back felt on the rubber stoppers and it is sorted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links