Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 New Audio System

Hi

Just taken delivery of my 05 IS200, absolute quality.

The only thing i really want to upgrade is the stereo but i literally dont know where to start. Got no experience with the wiring so i'd rather a pro did it for me. I've had a quick look online but i cant find what systems are compatible with my car, checked Halfords website but in the compatibility tool lexus isnt an option for some reason.

All i need is a unit with a usb connection, only need it for playing music. Wont be making calls or using is it as a sat nav. Not really fussed on improving the sound as the speakers seem tidy enough anyway.

Any idea on where i should start?

why go through the hassle of changing the whole head unit system if you only need it for music? I also believe the premium sound system and speakers in the IS's are way better the after market units and speakers and dont know why people spend more money replacing something that is already there..all one need to do is play around with the Bass, Trebble, and Fade settings and the sounds quality which comes out beats any Alpine speakers and I have had quite a few aftermarket headunits with 1000amp and 800watt subwoofers in my previous cars. Yes i like my music loud..

I currenlty have the Iphone so i upload my music onto that and use one off these old school cassette units and the sound and bass quality both from the iphones equalizer + Lexus premium sound system sounds awesome.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2322e53b3e

or if you dont have a smartphone have you considered getting an ipod mini shuffle? works out cheaper than a brand new head unit and a 2GB can store up to 500 mp3 songs thats more than enough i recon. the ipod shuffle conbined with in car cassette adapter will still work out cheaper than a new haed unut with usb built in and you still get to keep your OE headunit and speakers..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ac0f76218

look for the grom audio system, does what you need, keeps the standard stereo

Exactly this. Even if you only intend to use it for the AUX (3.5mm stereo input using a devices headphone output) it's vastly superior to a cassette adapter, which in comparison sounds like listening to music through a paper bag.

the standard headunit is very capable, and the standard speakers (and amp) are also very good. Granted they aren't as good as today's premium systems, but they still hold their own for the most part. Aftermarket speakers, and amps, will sound better, provided you choose the right stuff rather than what's on offer or what's cheap.

But for the hassle of it all, and if you only want to change WHAT it is you listen to rather than HOW you listen to it, I'd simply plug in a Grom unit (and it is just as simple as plugging it in) and you're done. iPod/iPhone or Android integration, including track and playlist control right from the headunit itself, USB flash drive support (again with headunit controls) or AUX analogue in - even Bluetooth if you want. All in one simple package that even a child could install!

Exactly this. Even if you only intend to use it for the AUX (3.5mm stereo input using a devices headphone output) it's vastly superior to a cassette adapter, which in comparison sounds like listening to music through a paper bag.

My cassette player adapter doesnt sound like listening music through a paper bag thank you. at only £5 off eBay it works out cheaper than grome audio kit and like i said the sound quality off my iphones equalizer + Lexus OE headunit system is a crystal clear quality sound with good deep Base to it . by having the Iphone sitting in the cup holder storage makes it easily accesible if i need to change tracks but i hardly do that as I always queue my music list the way i want it played before syncing to the Iphone so ounce its plugged in I enjoy my music and dont touch it untill i reach my destination. in fact i can even pick up phone calls through the cassette adapter too...Yes lots of people dont know this but it works.

• phone call comes in and you can hear it on ring through your Lexus speakers when the cassette adapter is pluged into the phone.
  • Accept call and switch the phone to speaker and the caller can hear you speak and you can hear them speak through the Lexus speakers.
  • finish conversation tap end call and resume back to ipod(music) mode.

All this is done with the phone laying flat with screen facing upwards in the cup holder storage section so you wont get pulled over by Police for holding your phone to the ear whilst driving so if the OP is looking for a cheap simple way the the old school effective cassette adapter cannot be beaten for mp3 music and receiving phone calls through a smartphone but a slightly pricey option will definately be the grom audio for sure. decision is yours to make benfranc76

Thank you for those pearls of wisdom. Yes, I do know you can use the headphone out on an Iphone to make handsfree calls - I've been using it like that for the past 5 years. But no, cassette adapters sound like trash, no matter what you say. It's just the way it is. Cassette Vs CD - huge difference. Cassette vs mp3 - huge difference. MP3 using cassette as transport - sounds worse than cassette does on it's own. Why? Cassette's use a kind of pre-amp to boost the signal (much like phono inputs for record players), so you've got the onboard amp of the mp3 player (in your case an iPhone) running through a pre-amp, then running through a power amp. Result? Trash. I have used cassette adapters before, in many applications. I've also used (and still do) analogue input (normally labeled as AUX) 3.5mm stereo input, and also direct input (for example, the Grom, or other dock connected input). The dock connected input will ALWAYS win. Why? Bypasses the onboard amp of the Iphone, meaing you get a "direct pure" signal, which is then handled by the headunits amp. 1 amp is much better than two in series. Likewise, two is much better than 2 plus a pre-amp.

So thanks, but no. It sounds like garbage. You'd be amazed to hear your music with a proper set up - by the sounds of it, the difference would blow your head off

(ps, you paid FIVE pounds for a cassette adapter? Wow! Why?)

if the cassette adapters you bought sounds like trash doesnt mean all do. can i hear music loud and clear when using my cassete adapter through the 8 speaker system? absolutely..can i pick up phone calls aswell and hear my caller and vice verca? absolutely..and was ll for 5 pounds and it does the job. decision is for the OP to make.

if the cassette adapters you bought sounds like trash doesnt mean all do. can i hear music loud and clear when using my cassete adapter through the 8 speaker system? absolutely..can i pick up phone calls aswell and hear my caller and vice verca? absolutely..and was ll for 5 pounds and it does the job. decision is for the OP to make.

http://www.thehearingclinic.co.uk

Hi

Just taken delivery of my 05 IS200, absolute quality.

The only thing i really want to upgrade is the stereo but i literally dont know where to start. Got no experience with the wiring so i'd rather a pro did it for me. I've had a quick look online but i cant find what systems are compatible with my car, checked halfords website but in the compatibility tool lexus isnt an option for some reason.

All i need is a unit with a usb connection, only need it for playing music. Wont be making calls or using is it as a sat nav. Not really fussed on improving the sound as the speakers seem tidy enough anyway.

Any idea on where i should start?

Hello Ben,

Wellcome to the site :)

Since you ask for upgrade of the headunit I will go right to the subject of that ... and not how you can keep the original headunit.

You can have a 1DIN unit or a 2DIN unit ... Halfords might tell you the Lexus does not take an aftermarket 2DIN unit , but this incorrect.

In my car I had a 1DIN alpine headunit this is the one I bought the car with and now I have a 2DIN pioneer unit

I quote the model numbers to get an idea for sizes.

1 DIN Alpine iDA x305

2 DIN Pioneer Appradio 2

In both cases there is a fascia kit which can accomodate both 1 DIN and 2 DIN and looks really nice with the car plastics ... you dont know its aftermarket to be honest. Here is a link so you know how it looks like. I did not buy mine as it came with the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS300-IS200-2001-2004-CD-Stereo-Fascia-Panel-/270643336934

You will need to bypass the factory amplifier ... but this will be easy to do by someone who has done a couple of installations before.

This is how my 2DIN Pioneer Unit looks like

IMG_20120719_210035.jpg

And this is how my 1DIN Alpine unit looked like, I know the picture is not the best but if you zoom you will be able to see.

IMG_3485.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The 2 din would be the best solution if money was no option but the grom looks a lot easier and cheaper for probably the same sound quality. Used a cassette adaptor before, wasn't that impressed to be honest.

I wanted a double din originally but have been put of since after looking more into it. I wanted it for BT and reversing camera on top of having easy access to media on demand. But its not worth it and there are other alternatives. the original system is so excellent and a GROM type system works so well, and can be controlled via the head unit of course. Sound quality is very good also, whereas im guessing a OEM system would be worse as you have to bypass the amp in the glovebox. what are the alternatives? Im in the process of setting up a rear view mirror with monitor for reverse camera and parking sensors. Bluetooth can be integrated into the grom system and jobs a goodun

Bluetooth can very easily and simply be integrated into a Grom unit (http://gromaudio.com/store/bt_adapters/in-car_hands_free_bluetooth_extension_splitter.html) and is something I'd like to do myself, but I really can't justify it (even at *only* £50) since I spend such little time in the car, and make/receive calls even less so. However, it does look fabulously simple and easy (no idea on how good it's implemented of course, but if it's anything like the usability of the Grom itself, it'll no doubt be very good)

I've got the Bluetooth extension for Grom and can vouch for it. The call clarity is pretty good, and on several occasions the person on the other end couldn't tell if I was in the car during the call.

Mine is paired to a Nexus 4, and I can also stream audio and switch tracks using the head unit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links