Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This Looks Like A Good One For Those Looking For A Mk4

Business seller posing as a private seller."No warranty given or implied" I don't think so.

"I have MY car for sale" obviously owns a lot of cars especially Pajeros.

Very short MOT so wonder why it hasn't been put through for a fresh ticket which would attract higher bids.

No mention of previous owners.

Must admit car looks nice but with only part service history and the short MOT I would be inspecting very closely.

I think the best approach would be if you put it through the MOT I'll pay for the test and see the reaction.

Business seller posing as a private seller."No warranty given or implied" I don't think so.

Very short MOT so wonder why it hasn't been put through for a fresh ticket which would attract higher bids.

Must admit car looks nice but with only part service history and the short MOT I would be inspecting very closely.

I think the best approach would be if you put it through the MOT I'll pay for the test and see the reaction.

I'm sorry but where does the Pajero come into the picture. Warranty statement quite a few people do that including me when I sell a car just to cover yourself. I hadn't seen the MOT age but as you suggest ask him and see what reaction you get. Mike

Mike, is it not common practice for some Motor Dealers (which from looking at his feedback he obviously is and hence the Pajero mention) to pose as a private seller therefore avoiding having to provide the buyer with their legal rights when they buy from a business seller.

If I am not mistaken buying from a business means the Sales of Goods Act applies and therefore the car is covered under the Act, the fact that the seller states "No warranty given or implied" is not a valid disclaimer.

If you buy from a private individual for example I buy your car I have no comeback,from a business you do.

I'm sorry but where does the Pajero come into the picture. Warranty statement quite a few people do that including me when I sell a car just to cover yourself. I hadn't seen the MOT age but as you suggest ask him and see what reaction you get. Mike

Check his feedback Mike, he's flogged a lot of them.

In fairness, he probably should declare himself as a trader, but it is pretty obvious from the advert style, and of course his feedback.

Agreed on the mot and service history, though apart from that, nice looking car.

I wouldn't travel the length of the country to see it, but if it was reasonably close, I wouldn't rule it out either.

I wouldnt have thought of looking through his feedback to see what else he had sold, you learn something new every day.

As for the warranty you can be sued through the County Courts as a private individual if you have falsely described the car and you can have the courts judgement enforced by High Court Sheriffs. Mike

If you buy from someone who purports to be a private seller and the simple facts ( historic profile ) are that the individual is a trader, then the same rules apply as if he IS a Trader, therefore his disclaimer wouldn't hold-up in face of Trading Standards and in any event HMRC would want to know :whistling:

Simply he is obliged under the law and if the vehicle is over £1k to buy, then he IS a Trader and his legal liability is as such.

Malc

If you buy from someone who purports to be a private seller and the simple facts ( historic profile ) are that the individual is a trader, then the same rules apply as if he IS a Trader, therefore his disclaimer wouldn't hold-up in face of Trading Standards and in any event HMRC would want to know :whistling:

Simply he is obliged under the law and if the vehicle is over £1k to buy, then he IS a Trader and his legal liability is as such.

Malc

Thanks for that one Malc.

My personal historic knowledge as an honourable car dealer and trader ......... getting Trading Standards to act tho' might be a bit challenging unless he is a prolific miscreant ............... . they usually have too much other stuff to do

the maxim " buyer beware " is the best way forward ..... as ever !

Malc

My personal historic knowledge as an honourable car dealer and trader ......... getting Trading Standards to act tho' might be a bit challenging unless he is a prolific miscreant ............... . they usually have too much other stuff to do

the maxim " buyer beware " is the best way forward ..... as ever !

Malc

Doesn't stop you from sending him court papers. Court staff are very helpful and don't look down at you if you have never done that sort of thing before. Cost wise not to bad.

Once you have your judgement you can transfer your judgement to the High Court and get the High Court Sheriffs to collect which is £60 and they don't mess around they have a huge amount of clout where the law is concerned much better than leaving it to bailiffs who in law haven't really got any backing law wise what so ever.

Buyer beware, always.

Mike

I must admit, I did look at the sellers feedback when I bought mine on ebay but it seemed OK, but to this day I'm not convinced he isn't a trader. Still, my car seems fine which is good.

I think you are right he is a trader unless of course he has a massive family that's constantly changing theirs? not likely. Mike

There are checks you can make if you were to view the car, a prime give away is the V5C. Chances are it won't show the name and address of the present seller but the previously registered keeper or there will only be the tear off slip available.

Car dealers tend not to register cars offered for sale in their own name as this takes time so may delay a sale and adds another owner to the list. I think cars in this situation are classed as 'In Trade"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links