Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im Really Begining To Hate My Ls430

Hi guys

Is it just me or does everyones ls430 make alot of road noise? The ls400 is super quiet when driving. I couldnt hear any road noise in the 400, but this ls430 is something else. So im looking for a later ls400 to do a deal with, but a good one is hard to find.

Im using Michelin Primacy. Thing is even when the road surface is bad, the ls400 is still quiet. But this ls430 is something else. I regret selling my ls400. Okay the 430 has all the toys, but the 400 in my opinion is a proper Lexus

hi

i know where you are coming from

My 430 has lower profile tyres and is noisier than the 400 - part of the reason is in the 400 you hear the engine revs where as in the 430 you dont hear any engine noise - all you hear is the tyre rumble.

But heres the thing - whilst i have come to accept my LS430 to some extent everytime i see a 400 i wish i had one - the 400 just appears so sleek and smooth - the wheels like wings fluttering!

i have come to the decision that if ever a low mileage mint example turns up ( ideally with LPG) i will go for it

Im the same. Whenever i see an Ls400, i wished i had one and wished i hadnt sold mine. Its hard finding a decent 400. But im after a later model 99-2000. I may even swap for a 2000 model in good condition etc etc. But i cant find one.

Hi guys

Is it just me or does everyones ls430 make alot of road noise? The ls400 is super quiet when driving. I couldnt hear any road noise in the 400, but this ls430 is something else. So im looking for a later ls400 to do a deal with, but a good one is hard to find.

Hi Messi - the 430 is a little noisier than the 400. However it is still a pretty smooth motor so don't give up on it yet just get the right tyres. The tyres are 225 55 17 on your 430 if you have an early model like mine and you probably had 225 45 17 on your 400. The lower profiles tyres on the 430 will probably be noisier - check the ratings on your tyres they are all rated for noise these days - other members may offer their advice on quiet tyres but I know cheap ones are not great. My Kumo Ecsta SPTs are great in the wet (Class A) fuel economy E (not great) Noise class 3 (73dB - not very good old limit was 75dB new limit is 71dB).

The road surface is the biggest cause of noise (see below) so all the technical stuff about tyre may be for nothing if we continue to drive on cart tracks :(

I looked at tyres on the net and there is not always a correlation between price and performance - most important/vital for me is stopping in the wet - the difference can be 18m at 50!!!!! Noise and fuel economy are also important - but stopping is top. I will be paying more for my rubber next time that's for sure.

These are a few reports and presentations I looked at:-

This is a great report about tyre myths - a little old now but is worth reading - the bottom line is road surface is the biggest influence on noise and making tyres that perform in the wet should not impact their performance - i.e. fuel economy and noise.

http://www.etrma.org/uploads/Eventsmanager/2010%2010%2026%20ETRMA_CRIA%20-%20661-%20ETRTO%20%282.1%29.pdf - page 18 for noise stuff

http://www.etrma.org/uploads/Eventsmanager/2010%2010%2026%20ETRMA_CRIA%20-%20Tyre%20Labelling%20%282.2%29.pdf

http://www.vti.se/en/publications/pdf/tyreroad-noise--myths-and-realities.pdf

This one is stella - page 87 supports my comment above - substitute 2 for 1 in the URL below for the apendicees

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/projects/report_tyre_road_noise1_en.pdf

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/strategies/2008/doc/2008_11_ser2/tyres_labelling_directive_proposal.pdf

I just read several reports like this and am officially a sad tw1t

10K miles before I need to go shopping.

Cheers

Bren

dont give up on your 430,i have gotton to be able to tell what surface i am driving on simply because my engine is soo quiet and smooth,read about tyres carefully,my car is plated as a limo and every1 that gets in it compliments the car,even over s class act,so stick with it and i would say ypu will grow to love it!!

it would cost me alot to change to irish reg , gov closed that loophole ,for lnstance i got a suberu 20 legacy 2002 , 800 euros to change over , ill get an estemate and get back to you .i was out washing the G Fs car and i flooded the kitchen .

A very sad situation indeed, but don't give up, I had a great 97 plate Ls400 and was very quiet on the road, and the engine noise was a blast, all in all gave me miles of smiles in luxury.

I agree that the Ls430 is more noisier from wheel noise, the tyres you have may not be the best for this model. The noise is also due to not hearing the engine so much and better noise reduction all round, so everything else appears louder.

My current Ls430 is very quiet, several of my work colleagues and friends and family have driven both my old Ls400 and Ls430, they have commented on how much better the 430 is over the 400 in all things, noise included.

I have 3 different makes of tyre on my Ls430, on it when i purchased it, they all have different noise levels, i can barely hear the rears, and they are a cheaper brand as well, Accelera, i have a pirelli P7 and a Dunlop Sport on the front and they are noisy.

I am going back to a LS 400 on Saturday. My LS 430 is going back to the dealer I bought it from. All the toys are fun but the 400 is a better car its more refined , rides better & feels better quality all round . I am really gutted I sold my old one. My mate who is a mechanic is selling me his mint silver mark4 400. So down to the lpg installers its going to go & it will be my car for at least the next 5 years. Cant wait. :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links