Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

i had the mark 3 and the mark 4 and bought the LS430 and wished i hadnt

The LS430 certainly has more gadgets but more to go wrong - its noisier and not as smooth

after 3 months of trying to convince myself to stick with i have decided to go back and therfore am looking for a decent LS400

My advise based on my experiece buy an LS400 (mark 4 is the best)

Ive had 2 ls430'and 4 mkiv ls400's, and I dont think I would buy another Ls430 again.Thank god ive sold the ls430. If you want a quiet, smooth and a reliable car, go for the mkiv ls400. The ls430 is not as smooth of a drive as the ls400 and its got too many toys that can go wrong and very expensive to fix.

So my advice is go with a mkiv ls400.

For me aswell I had a mark4 for 5 years of bliss had a 2004 ls430 for 5 weeks & am now back in a mark4. If reliability is your first priority go for the best mark 4 you can lay your mits on & you will be a happy man.

i had the mark 3 and the mark 4 and bought the LS430 and wished i hadnt

The LS430 certainly has more gadgets but more to go wrong - its noisier and not as smooth

after 3 months of trying to convince myself to stick with i have decided to go back and therfore am looking for a decent LS400

My advise based on my experiece buy an LS400 (mark 4 is the best)

Shock your 430 looked a superb genuine car just a couple of scuffs . I know where you are coming from , For me the mark 4 is understated luxury it makes me feel special a bit like a secret club only for those who Know wink wink. The 430 was a bit too fat cat blingy & gave me the sense of impending doom ( or my wallet) As a MDs car I would have one if I didn't have to worry about any future repair costs. As a working man a chance I don.t want to take.

Just to point out I am not slaging off 430s they are wonderfull cars & far better than your mercs or bmws. Many people on here have clocked up mega trouble free miles.

I just feel more at home In a trusty 400 personal choice. ( also I trained a lexus mechanic to drive a hgv & he was of the opinion the mark4 ls 400 was the best car lexus had ever built).

Just to point out I am not slaging off 430s they are wonderfull cars & far better than your mercs or bmws. Many people on here have clocked up mega trouble free miles.

I just feel more at home In a trusty 400 personal choice. ( also I trained a lexus mechanic to drive a hgv & he was of the opinion the mark4 ls 400 was the best car lexus had ever built).

mark you have been there and will understand how i fell - the ls430 is more expensive but i just dont enjoy driving it, so i cant see any reason not to get a Mark 4 - which is cheaper to buy and ofcourse the smile factor is non-compareable

My mechanic (Lexus trained) also says the 400 is the best car Lexus made, though he doesn't seem that bothered about the 430 presenting problems. But for me, Mark's comment 'gave me the sense of impending doom (or my wallet)' sums up how I feel about it. I know where I am with my 400. Front suspension arms aside, I'm not expecting it to need huge amounts of work to keep it running. I'm hoping that by the time I get rid of it (maybe when it's 20 years old?) I'll be able to find a good 430 at a reasonable price. What else is there for us 400 owners to drive?

Scribe, you hit the nail on head with that last comment-what happens when all the LS400's are past it-we 400 lovers will have no option then, I guess then we will all have to gravitate to the 430's available, and reminisce till the cows come home over the extinct LS400's, bit depressing really.....

I know some 430 owners will disagree (sorry), but their argument about toys doesn't really convince me. The 400 has already got more than I need, and I bought one because I wanted its luxury and reliability, not all the gizmos. The good thing about it is that the toys all still work, because it's well made.

I'm a little concerned to read (on here and elsewhere) about 430s that are three or four years younger than my 400 but which need major (expensive) work. I know there are lots of 430 owners who've had no big problems, and I'm sure it's a better built car than the equivalent Merc, Jag or BMW, but I can't imagine having the same confidence in buying an old one as I did with my 400.

I know I'm an old fart, but running a 400 has convinced me that most of today's cars are over-styled and/or over-gizmo'd. It's all about showroom appeal and perceived value, not usefulness or long-term reliability. (Example: the colleague of a friend has a Mini Cooper which keeps needing replacement wheels because their funky design, and low-profile tyres, makes them liable to cracking.) I'm sure Lexus has gone down this route to some extent (in the way that Mercedes quality went downhill when they started concentrating on lower build costs, rust protection, electrical suppliers etc.), but the question is: did it start with the 430? Every time I see one I think 'Wow!' I think it looks amazing, especially in silver. And one day I'll have one. But, as I've said on here before, I'm not in a hurry - particularly as the chance of finding a late 400 that's worth getting rid of mine for is zilch.

for me the mark 4 (owned 2 years) was such a pleasure to drive - so smooth, so reliable and driving it was second nature with the feather light steering.

The 430 on the other hand i havent been able to get used to - the tire grumble for me is very uncomfortable, the steering heavier - it just doesnt feel like a lexus - gizmos like fridge, rear massaging seats, blind never got used - its not ugly but it doesnt have the sleek looks of the 400.

I have just had to replace the lower balls joints (ok maybe wear and tear) and just yesterday one of the front parking sensors has gone - so overall not a very positive experience

Im hoping ill be back in 400 next week and hopefully i can start enjoying my motoring again - this 430 has given me sleepless nights ever since i had it

I know some 430 owners will disagree (sorry), but their argument about toys doesn't really convince me. The 400 has already got more than I need, and I bought one because I wanted its luxury and reliability, not all the gizmos. The good thing about it is that the toys all still work, because it's well made.

I'm a little concerned to read (on here and elsewhere) about 430s that are three or four years younger than my 400 but which need major (expensive) work. I know there are lots of 430 owners who've had no big problems, and I'm sure it's a better built car than the equivalent Merc, Jag or BMW, but I can't imagine having the same confidence in buying an old one as I did with my 400.

I know I'm an old fart, but running a 400 has convinced me that most of today's cars are over-styled and/or over-gizmo'd. It's all about showroom appeal and perceived value, not usefulness or long-term reliability. (Example: the colleague of a friend has a Mini Cooper which keeps needing replacement wheels because their funky design, and low-profile tyres, makes them liable to cracking.) I'm sure Lexus has gone down this route to some extent (in the way that Mercedes quality went downhill when they started concentrating on lower build costs, rust protection, electrical suppliers etc.), but the question is: did it start with the 430? Every time I see one I think 'Wow!' I think it looks amazing, especially in silver. And one day I'll have one. But, as I've said on here before, I'm not in a hurry - particularly as the chance of finding a late 400 that's worth getting rid of mine for is zilch.

btw im hoping our avatars will be identical by next week

• Like 1

Although it looks great now I'm having my 98 MK IV done up mechanically to the extent it should last another 20 years

I think that that is a very good road to go down. I had already thought to myself that setting a budget to enable a full body restoration and then thinking further forward another amount for overhauling the mechanicals both over a 10 year period in total would ensure that you still have a very reliable car. Mike

My mechanic (Lexus trained) also says the 400 is the best car Lexus made, though he doesn't seem that bothered about the 430 presenting problems. But for me, Mark's comment 'gave me the sense of impending doom (or my wallet)' sums up how I feel about it. I know where I am with my 400. Front suspension arms aside, I'm not expecting it to need huge amounts of work to keep it running. I'm hoping that by the time I get rid of it (maybe when it's 20 years old?) I'll be able to find a good 430 at a reasonable price. What else is there for us 400 owners to drive?

Can you let me have your mechanics contact details

There have been some really interesting comments on here about the LS400 and LS430. The LS400 seems to hold as special place in peoples hearts. I drove friends LS430 today. What a beautiful car. But for me the LS400 wins, for all the toys the LS430 have. Someone said earlier, what will we do when all the LS400's are gone. Somehow, I think that will be a long way off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links