Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mmmmmmay Be Time To Leave.... :(

Rory

Think I'd struggle to get a decent phaeton for 5k, but that's probably my favourite if I had a little more cash, always liked them

Think I'd struggle to get a decent phaeton for 5k, but that's probably my favourite if I had a little more cash, always liked them

Apparantely they are better built than Audi's. I recon newer shape VW Passats are more rarer than Audi's and BMW's and if I decide to go German they have the Passat 3.2 V6 or the Stonkin R36 .. but you wont like the insurance and fuel bills on the R36 tho..

My mate had a X type jag diesel said the economy was terible for a diesel. I do like jags but wouldnt like to pay for fixing one when it goes wrong get on to Phil01 on the otherside he is or was a brakedown engineer for Jag i think.

So Rory you got a update?

Yeh Rory.. updates... whats your reason for the change then? is it bordom ? as the old saying goes 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'

Always wanted an is200, long before I knew there was an is300, since i was about 19, didn't start driving til I was 26 so by then I had money to spend, now I've been in a Lex for 6 years, and its getting harder (not impossible yet) to justify the costs, my brother's Audi costs half as much to run so I go down the same track, but only for the right car, the jag seems to fit the bill if I can find a good one

The way I see it is I can be back in a Lex in a heartbeat if I decide to

Had a look at an X type today, it wasnt quite what I wanted, full leather is very shiny, I prefer the leather in the Lex so I only want a half leather interior in a jag, and has to have no chrome on it, watch this space as I patiently wait for a 2.0 or 2.2 diesel sport with half leather, that isn't too far away, with reasonable miles on it.

So is it you cant physically afford the running costs or you just arent prepared to spend your cash on fuel? ive got a is200 and can easily afford petrol which makes me think I might as well get a is300 or even gs430 lol but insurance is still the killer for me. mate just got a s type 2.7 diesel twin turbo, didnt pay much.if I got a jag it would be a x300 xjr SC. Diesels not for me

I'm merely looking at the options, Yeh I can afford it, but if there's nice cars that cost half to fuel and tax its a decent amount to be saved, its just a sensible option I'm exploring that's all, obviously reliability is a major factor, no point saving half the running costs only to pay double to maintain,

• Like 1

will make it easy for you Rory.

Lexus - IS250, GS300 MK3

BMW - 320d/330d/320i/330i

Audi - 2.0TDI/2.5TDI/3.0TDI/1.8T/2.0FSI/3.0V6

Jaguar x type - 2.0d, 2.2d, 2.0 V6, 3.0 V6

Mercedez benz - C200CDI/320CDI/180,200,230 Kompressor/ 320 V6

Mazda 6 - 1.8/2.0/2.3/ 2.3T MPS

Subaru Legacy - 2.0d/2.0/2.5 3.0 H6

In my opinion these are respectable cars so decion will boil down to what you put as a priority when looking at cars. and this is my list in order of importance.

Reliability

Power

not common on roads

badge

MPG

this made it easier for me when i was looking for a replacement for my Ford Cougar V6 and ended up with the IS300 after comaparing it with BMW330i and Audi 3.0 quattro. so although most will recommend a brand including me, the decision is yours to make as you will be driving and running the car with your own money so worht making a list of whats important to you when looking for a car and you can start narrowing it down and then test drive the ones which ticked all the boxes and you can decide from there thats if the final decision is not the Jag yet and i recon that will make it easier for you.

will make it easy for you Rory.

Lexus - IS250, GS300 MK3

BMW - 320d/330d/320i/330i

Audi - 2.0TDI/2.5TDI/3.0TDI/1.8T/2.0FSI/3.0V6

Jaguar x type - 2.0d, 2.2d, 2.0 V6, 3.0 V6

Mercedez benz - C200CDI/320CDI/180,200,230 Kompressor/ 320 V6

Mazda 6 - 1.8/2.0/2.3/ 2.3T MPS

Subaru Legacy - 2.0d/2.0/2.5 3.0 H6

In my opinion these are respectable cars so decion will boil down to what you put as a priority when looking at cars. and this is my list in order of importance.

Reliability

Power

not common on roads

badge

MPG

this made it easier for me when i was looking for a replacement for my Ford Cougar V6 and ended up with the IS300 after comaparing it with BMW330i and Audi 3.0 quattro. so although most will recommend a brand including me, the decision is yours to make as you will be driving and running the car with your own money so worht making a list of whats important to you when looking for a car and you can start narrowing it down and then test drive the ones which ticked all the boxes and you can decide from there thats if the final decision is not the Jag yet and i recon that will make it easier for you.

When i was looking for a better car the IS ticked every box and i had alot of boxes! I kept looking at other cars not believing there wasnt something as good to consider but kept going back to the IS. I think its the fact it combines sport and luxury so well plus the fact its reliable. I didnt even realise it was a straight six for awhile and that made my mind up for sure. I wanted a 6 cyl car but couldnt afford the insurance on most but the IS being 2.0L is perfect for me. Every time i saw one i thought i will have one of them one day and now i do never regret it in the slightest, yes the IS300 is much better but for me being 25 the 2,0L is perfect for me right now. and the MPG isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be but its not something i care about anyway

I just bought an '04 C180 Kompressor (2 door thing) for my misses to replace her Celica.

I'm not a Merc lover especially the rusted and rotten 1999-2003 models but this is quite nice.

Good on fuel. Then again anything is better on fuel than the IS :whistling:

Roughly the same size as an IS and they do a 4 door thing as well.

Less common than a 320 although I'd rather had bought her a 3er

RWD

I saw a nearly new S class parked up the other day (the new shape) and it had rust on the boot lid! I know someone with a C200 Kompressor, not as luxury as i thought coming from a merc and had shes had few issues with it.

As for german cars when i was looking, i had a look at the 320's and 323's and audi A4's 2.0L autos, but read to many horror story's for my liking, espec from the audi. The 2.4 was the better car tho but insurance a bit high for me and again they werent as well equipped as i expected

I saw a nearly new S class parked up the other day (the new shape) and it had rust on the boot lid! I know someone with a C200 Kompressor, not as luxury as i thought coming from a merc and had shes had few issues with it.

As for german cars when i was looking, i had a look at the 320's and 323's and audi A4's 2.0L autos, but read to many horror story's for my liking, espec from the audi. The 2.4 was the better car tho but insurance a bit high for me and again they werent as well equipped as i expected

A quote i heard some years ago..

'Always buy German cars on finance where you can take advantage of warranty and always buy Japanese cars second hand'

because once your warranty runs out you wouldnt enjoy driving a German car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

haha like i said, X type is just a dressed up Mondeo and seats are uncomfortable lol. oh well, glad you came round in the end.

As for Saab, i was looking a 93 Turbos instead of a IS, but autos are rare and insurance high for me. Great cars, always had a soft spot for them ever since my friend took me for a spin in his Turbo. Lovely interiors, good drive and good quality cars.

Parts maybe a issue like Stuart said as i dont know if you knew but the company went under last year. The company still has the potential to be bought tho.

I dont know if ive mentioned this, but the Avensis is a great car. Very well equipped. Everything a IS has with diesels ranging from 115bhp to 180. just a bit on the bland side.

Saab have been bought out again by a Chinese electric automotive company, NEVS? The issue I had was that Saab redesigned quite a large number of parts, while they were owned by GM, there maybe a number of parts that would not be compatible. Economy Saab in Bristol said they had enough for the next three years to be able to do all necessary services and changes, but with NEVS about to launch an all electric 9-3 convertible, new parts may also not be compatible. Personally, I'd say go for it. But you may only get a good two years before parts become an issue, at which point, you can come back to Lexus?

I'd be interested in buying your is300 when you come to sell Rory. Now circumstances have changed and can afford to run one.

Very glad to hear your circumstances have changed Ian. :)

I'd be interested in buying your is300 when you come to sell Rory. Now circumstances have changed and can afford to run one.

Very glad to hear your circumstances have changed Ian. :)

Thanks Pete, seems this year is going the right way at last...

• Like 1

thats good to hear Ian, i've had a quick look at the Saab today and I like it a lot, just gonna join one of Saab's forums for some buying tips, i've decided on the model I want, just need to find a good one with the right mileage :D

i've just had a set of standard 11-spoke alloys refurbished in anthracite to go on the IS300 so it'll look nicely standard soon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links