Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I am looking to buy an IS 250 petrol. I had owned an IS200 LE for two years but this was written off last year. I fancy trying the 250 out, have heard theres problems with the 220 -

i have been looking at the 2006 / 2007 IS250 SE-L model with the sat nav etc - anyone have one of these / recomendations / are they as reliable as the old IS models / fuel comsumption etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look out for in the model, problems / extras etc.

Are they as easy to work on as the old IS - the engine bay looks like it has multiple covers but i guess these can be removed quite easy?

Is there a particular make or model of stereo to look out for (i think i have read somewhere that theres a good one linked to the sat nav?)

Hope anyone can help

thanks

I have a 2006 IS250SE-L with al the bells and whistles and the Mark Levinson audio system. It drives like an absolute dream, so quiet and smooth. The power is there too when you need to put your foot down and, it is even more impressive with the ECT Power switch on!

I am off on a 600mile round trip at the weekend and it will be the longest trip I have made since buying the car last September. It will be interesting to see what sort of mpg returns I get on this journey, although for me the comfort and driveability will be more important.

I bought mine from a Lexus dealer with 12 months warranty and a pay monthly service plan.

I had a mk1 200 sport, then a 220d and now a 250 SEL mm auto. The auto is way cheaper on road tax (than the manual 250) so bear that in mind. For me the 250 puts the 200 completely in the shade...it really is that good. Admittedly I have a 2010 model but I'm sure you will get plenty of responses from 06-08 model owners.

Go and test drive as many as you can.

Yes the engine bay has three protective covers that are readily removed.

The 200 was a straight six the 250 is a V6.

The stereo I think you are referring to is the Mark Levinson unit. I find it excellent for my needs. There are accounts of a circuit ribbon failure on early models but there are replacement screens available. Folk n here have done them. If you ever removed the unit on the 200 you will be able to do the same on the 250....it's not too difficult. The ML unit incorporates a reversing camera that is jolly useful. Also plays surround sound (5.1) DVD's. I'll be trying the European sat nav in France in June. Thus far the UK part has been exemplary.

What will you see when you drive one?

The doors are quite different.. The panels are higher and the windows shorter in height.

The rear pillars are quite wide so visibility is a tad restricted.

Front pillars too are quite wide.

Wing mirrors are also quite a lump.

These aren't so much problems... More like things you adapt to. Think once think bike is very apt.

Boot is pretty much the same as the 200.

Engine and auto box are drop dead gorgeous....and I was one who loved my manual box.

Seats are superb...IMHO better than those in the 200.

Mpg I find better too. I get 28/9 around town and 36/40 on a run. 40 is on a longer run.

normski2, you said "Yes the engine bay has three protective covers that are readily removed."

Could you tell us where we can find out more about how to do this?

Argento

Just pop up the little black disc in the centre of the popper catch.

Take the front cover off first, then the two sides.

You'll probably find some missing as they do seem to shake loose.

There's a good US buyers guide out there, but I'd add to it:

See if there's a metal on metal sound when the engine is started (easy to fix, but good for negotiation).

Check for alloy wheels needing refurbishing (same as above).

Check the windscreen moulding.

Look for lights on the dash, and look a the avg mpg. A number below 28 would concern me, unless you're sure that they only do lots of short journeys.

Make sure they have the locking wheel nuts.

Test each parking sensor one at a time with your hand

As for reliability & mpg, I find it very good. Easy to work on, and I get much better than the official MPG.

Thanks for the replies

I have found one i will be taking a look at - 2007 250 SE-L with 70k on the clock and with a full service history - mentions that it has the reversing camera with front and rear assist so am presuming it has the Mark Levinson stereo installed. - Heres hoping its a good one !?

Bought the 250 today - what a difference to the old 200.

All good - just needs rear discs. I haven't looked through the posts yet but are the rear, ...and front discs for that matter, as easy to do as the is200?

Will be cleaning it tomorrow so will post some pics if the rain syays away..

Did you ask about the spark plugs?

The IS250 is a nice easy car to work on for the most part. Changing the disks & pads shouldn't trouble you. Go for the OE low dust pads.

Hi Mouser - Spark plugs were done in the service they put the car through. I saw the old ones but have not actually seen the new in the car. I will get round to getting into the guts of it when the weathers a bit better. I have had a quick look round the discs and the rear ones aren't that bad but the rear pads do need doing.

Pic of new car

IMAG0722-Copy_zps0b9708dc.jpg

IMAG0723-Copy_zps1833690a.jpg

JUST HAD A BIT OF A SNOOP IN THE ENGINE BAY - A BIT MORE DAUNTING THAN THE OLD IS. NOW I HAVE IT ARE THERE THINGS I CAN CHECK OUT - DRIVES AS NEW - 70k ON THE CLOCK. ARE K&N OILED FILTERS AVAILABLE FOR THIS MODEL? REPLACING THIS ON MY OLD IS WAS A SIMPLE MOD AND A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE WAS EXPERIENCED ESPECIALLY IN DRIVE (THIS IS AN AUTO BOX) - THE ONLY JOB THAT NEEDS DOING ARE THE REA PADS. ARE THESE THE SAME AS THE OLDER IS's IN THAT THEY HAVE DRUM BRAKES ON THE INNER REAR DISC?

SO FAR - WITH 400 MILES PUT ON THE CAR SINCE SATURDAY ITS A VERY IMPRESSIVE CAR

Wow, looks an awful lot like my car! Even the same wheel colour, although I kept the chrome logo on them :D

Hope you are enjoying it. The paintwork looks in very good condition which is nice to see.

Picture of mine from the other day after I had the wheels refurbed & painted gunmetal:

Z5BR3bv.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links