Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is The Satnav Update Worth It?

I have a 98 GS300 with Satnav and it has the original 98 CD.

Is it worth the £155 required to get the update? As far as roads go, I think there's been about two occasions when a bypass/new roundabout hasn't been in the system, but other than that are there advantages?

Specifically, does the newer CD have:

Postcode entry?

Street number entry?

Shortest/Quickest route calculation?

Any other benefit?

I have a 98 GS300 with Satnav and it has the original 98 CD.

Is it worth the £155 required to get the update? As far as roads go, I think there's been about two occasions when a bypass/new roundabout hasn't been in the system, but other than that are there advantages?

Postcode entry? - nope

Street number entry? - yep

Shortest/Quickest route calculation? - nope

Any other benefit? - updated map

My Disc shifted from 1999 to 2003 when i updated...

I couldn't find certian addressed on my old map, especially all those newly built areas and new bypass etc..........

I guess it's good to keep updated.

Do shop around for your disc though, perhaps Gold membership to the LOC will get you more discounts for later puchases on other stuff too... I paid a little less then the price you stated.

Agreed - postcode entry would be far more useful than say phone number entry (which incidentally I have never managed to get working). Guess the problem is that a postcode could cover a large-ish area, e.g. all the houses down one side of a road?

• 1 year later...
My Disc shifted from 1999 to 2003 when i updated...

I couldn't find certian addressed on my old map, especially all those newly built areas and new bypass etc..........

I guess it's good to keep updated.

Do shop around for your disc though, perhaps Gold membership to the LOC will get you more discounts for later puchases on other stuff too... I paid a little less then the price you stated.

Hello, i'm after an updated CDROM for me sat nav. I'm on 2.1 (1998).

You mentioned that you got yours cheaper? May I ask where from?

:tsktsk: removed illegal content :tsktsk:

Edited by ColinBarber

Did you get the update DipStick?

Ive just ordered one from mr Shipley with Gold Discount .

I wouldnt want to put a backup navdisc in my unit and find out a few months down the line that the laser has broken because it wasnt designed to read cdr's.

Did you get the update DipStick?

Ive just ordered one from mr Shipley with Gold Discount .

I wouldnt want to put a backup navdisc in my unit and find out a few months down the line that the laser has broken because it wasnt designed to read cdr's.

have there been cases where the laser has been damaged by reading backup versions? I have just bitten the bullet and shelled out 155 quid less 15% LOC goldmembers discount for the 2004/05 disc. I was thinking of keeping the original as a 'master' and using a backup in the car for everyday use?

I have seen many cases of Lasers been damaged using cdr's not the Satnav units but just all kinds of lasers in general

Playstations and ps2's are a good point in question, a brand new game console can be reduced to useless in a few months as the laser tries to correct its self to focus onto a cd which is only 30% as reflective as a pressed CD.

with the price of a new satnav cd unit I wouldnt want to risk it

My uncle on his new GS430 Sport has Sat Nav and that has post code search, and not only that, telephone number search. Now thats impressive!! He simply puts the number in the system and it finds the location.

:driving: away he goes!!

• 4 months later...

I have a 1998 LS400 with the CD based Sat Nav system.

It has the original CD disc with it.

I use the car mostly in Ireland and France though.

Culd anyone please tell me where I can get the latest version for Europe or even a disc for France and a disc for Ireland?

I have tried and tried and am even contemplating buying a Toyota DVD Unit (wihich has the same part number as the Lexus unit and using that with a Toyota DVD Disc, although I am not sure that it will display correctly on the CD based display.

Thanks & Regards,

Irina

you should be able to get any of the discs you require from your lexus dealer, just give them your cars VIN number and they can get you the discs,Ive even heard of some dealers loaning out the discs for europe travel!!

as for the toyota DVD idea, I dont think it would work, the connectors will most likley be different and the one time I did hear of someone getting a DVD based satnav to work on the old CD based satnav screen they said some of the picture was chopped off and not visible, i guess the touch screen would not line up either. :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links