Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Driving along and when I reached about 30mph a noise and low vibration started which felt like a puncture so stopped,checked ,all ok. Set off again and all's fine. Over the weeks this happened a few times. These days, the thinking cap's not as big as it used to be, but when I stopped and set off again the noise and vibes had gone so it must be the brakes. Next time it happened I felt all the wheels and the O/S/R was warmish/hottish so a brake binding. My regular garage looked at it, found the caliper was fine but the parking brake felt wrong so off came the hub and shoes and the cable was siezed in the housing where it enters the drum. We decided to fit new shoes (Quinton Hazell) which came with all the springs etc but couldn't find a MK2 GS300 brake cable even though they were advertised at £50 (Blueprint etc)....and..yes...It keeps coming up on here....try Lexus first. New cable £60 + vat - LOC 10% discount. Pleasantly surprised.

post-31048-0-50918400-1370454968_thumb.j

post-31048-0-19383000-1370454849_thumb.j

You can see on this pic the belled end of the outer rubber sheath that covered the other side of the cable fixing casting. When I pulled the rubber back the metal fell out in 4 pieces and the cable was siezed in the casting above the spring. Possible causes; water ingress or electrolytic reaction between the different metals. Working fine now with a dollop of grease to water proof it. PS...as well as the adjusters in the drum there's also an adjuster on the foot pedal under the dash.

Just lately I've started using the parking brake every day. I know its not really needed with an auto but I think it must help to keep it moving. Glad you got it sorted (and for surprisingly little!

Phil

The vibes and noise had to be sorted and the brake working ok to pass the MOT in a few weeks time. Shoes and springs were £50 and my regular garage charged £35 labour. Cannot grumble with that.

The vibes and noise had to be sorted and the brake working ok to pass the MOT in a few weeks time. Shoes and springs were £50 and my regular garage charged £35 labour. Cannot grumble with that.

A great result, so good to have a local garage you can trust as well.

Good result :)

And definately worth giving the dealers a call whenever you are looking for parts. They are either a pleasant surprise as in this case, or you get the opportunity to thank your lucky stars that you have saved a huge wedge by not getting the part from them :hehe:

Good result. I use the parking brake fairly regularly as I was told some years ago that they can sieze if never used. Also worth opening/closing sunroof and running aircon weekly throughout the year to help prevent similar issues with these.

Talk about strange noises, my GS 300 ( 2006 ) started to rumble every now and then. No set speed at which this would happen and not on a right or a left corner just random?? The VSC light came on and the TRC came on. The car still runs fine accelerates as normal but this rumble noise just does not go away. I checked wheel balancing and all four came up zero, even changed two tires which were close but still legal. The car has nearly 200K miles on it but always serviced at the Lexus dealer last time it went in they said water pump will need replacing soon and one of the rear brake callipers was seized. Would these cause the random rumble??? Any help would be appreciated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links