Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi!

I currently drive an audi a3 2.0 tdi 2003, I am in the market for either an a3 2.0tfsi S Line or an IS 250 automatic.

I have about £10k to spend, and I am a little confused about the spec of these lexus'.

I want touchscreen ML stereo, heated/cooled leather, HID's, cruise control, auto wipers etc however I am finding lots of SE's have these as well as SE-L's, SR's and F-Sports.

I want a quiet car that is very comfortable so I decided on the SE-L however I am wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of spec differences between SE and SE-L?

Also is there anything to look out for, and any way of telling if a car has ML other than just Sat Nav?

A lot of trade adverts are saying "13 speaker Mark Levinson" however according to the AA review:

Stereo and ICE (In car entertainment)

Lexus has developed something of a reputation for providing fine
sound systems, aware that buyers in the executive sector tend to be
techno-savvy and demanding. Consequently a 13-speaker sound system with
in-dash six-disc CD autochanger is fitted as standard
with MP3
compatibility. This can be upgraded to a 14-speaker Mark Levinson system
which includes a DVD multichanger, satellite navigation and a reversing
camera, but it's a costly extra that can only be bought as a complete
module.

Thankyou

Hi

Spec does vary depending on age as the standard spec has been improved a couple of times on the lower grades. At launch only the SE-L and sport has HIDs and auto wipers.

The standard stereo across the range is the 13-speaker system. The optional ML is 14-speaker. I believe the stereo has the ML logo on it which is the easiest way to tell.

Here is the initial press release which has some of the spec detail:

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2005/11/introducing-the-new-lexus-is/

ML logo is on bottom of centre console unit on RHS.

SEL is the only one that will have the rear sunblind.

Many cars appear similar by virtue of what was paid for as options at initial purchase.

If you demo any sound system go into the menu and check the settings as they can sound rubbish. I tried an A6 that had the Bose system but the bass setting was at MAX. Sounded bloody awful. Sales people are not always very good at adjusting these menus...the audi chap did not know how to adjust anything or demo the sat nav!!

I did have a play with both a non-ML and an ML and actually found the non-ML sounded better... the only options I found was treble/bass and being able to position the sound, are there more ?

I can't really see the logo on the pictures on the adverts. The best example I have found so far is this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305226898009/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/6000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/transmission/automatic/model/is/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/pl11sg/radius/200/page/3?logcode=p

That surprises me....but each to his own....I would certainly advocate to be guided by your ears. I really like my ML system.

I have options on mine for surround sound and equalizing volume levels of the speakers.

The non ML is certainly a good 'un....had it in my 220d.

Don't know if its on pre-facelift version (09) but I have Hard Disc Sat Nav and also a HDD that you can record loads of CD's onto. There is also phono jack and USB port in the armrest. All ipod info is available on the screen.

May not be of importance to you but thought I would mention it.

Not at all...never been an issue for me.

When you release it...it rises up quite high and your foot goes on to the footrest and stays there.

The brake pedal is only in front of the footrest when it is deployed.

Do have a good listen for rattles from the dash and door pillars. Early cars did suffer from this and had remedial work done. So it give it a go on slightly rougher road surfaces.

Not at all...never been an issue for me.

When you release it...it rises up quite high and your foot goes on to the footrest and stays there.

The brake pedal is only in front of the footrest when it is deployed.

+1

when disengaged it moves up well away from the footrest, no danger of accidentally pressing it.

Bad move, if you don't mind me saying.

Get out and sample some now..so you get a feel of different cars.

Honestly, I would just say bide your time until you see the right one and be prepared for a journey if necessary. I went 160 miles to see the one I settled on. Then went back on the train to collect it. Having said that, I got myself a 2010 car still under warranty for £5 more than Lexus dealers wanted me to part with for a 08 SEL.

But you are quite right not to be rushed into it.

Best of good fortune in finding what you want.

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I currently drive an audi a3 2.0 tdi 2003, I am in the market for either an a3 2.0tfsi S Line or an IS 250 automatic.

I have about £10k to spend, and I am a little confused about the spec of these lexus'.

I want touchscreen ML stereo, heated/cooled leather, HID's, cruise control, auto wipers etc however I am finding lots of SE's have these as well as SE-L's, SR's and F-Sports.

I want a quiet car that is very comfortable so I decided on the SE-L however I am wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of spec differences between SE and SE-L?

Also is there anything to look out for, and any way of telling if a car has ML other than just Sat Nav?

A lot of trade adverts are saying "13 speaker Mark Levinson" however according to the AA review:

Stereo and ICE (In car entertainment)

Lexus has developed something of a reputation for providing fine

sound systems, aware that buyers in the executive sector tend to be

techno-savvy and demanding. Consequently a 13-speaker sound system with

in-dash six-disc CD autochanger is fitted as standard with MP3

compatibility. This can be upgraded to a 14-speaker Mark Levinson system

which includes a DVD multichanger, satellite navigation and a reversing

camera, but it's a costly extra that can only be bought as a complete

module.

Hi, looks like I've got this upgrade to my is220d from 2008 but I have a small hiccups with dvd playng only on parking mode as my kidd its a bit annoyed. When I press the clutch to put on gear the dvd displays switches off automatically / coyld be just a setting or its a safety issues?

Thankyou

Hi

Nice one, cheers

Spec does vary depending on age as the standard spec has been improved a couple of times on the lower grades. At launch only the SE-L and sport has HIDs and auto wipers.

The standard stereo across the range is the 13-speaker system. The optional ML is 14-speaker. I believe the stereo has the ML logo on it which is the easiest way to tell.

Here is the initial press release which has some of the spec detail:

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2005/11/introducing-the-new-lexus-is/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links