Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Pads/disc Change Help.

RNUK

I have a 2001 IS200 and need to change the rear discs and pads. After seeing this guide http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/123-is200-is300-rear-brake-pad-disc-change/ I decided to do the job myself and save £80 on labour, however I have fallen at the first hurdle!

The 2 arms at the back of anti rattle clip that fold round are trapped in by a spring clip hooked into the pads then underneath the retaining bar, this clip is not mentioned in the guide. As this is the most ambitious thing I have done to a car outside of filling it with petrol, oil and most recently power steering fluid, I didn't want to force this clip out and risk damaging the clip or worse and end up screwing the whole thing anyway.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

ok this is what I think is going on.

some one has added an extra sort of clip on the pads to stop them rattling which is not suppose to be there.

pull out the rod and retaining anti-rattle clip and ram that clip out lol

you will need to bend the rattle clip a bit so its pressing firmly on the pads to avoid rattling when you finish the job.

hope I have some what helped - :eerrrmm:

Yeah, that spring is a genuine spring for the rears, just seems to be pot luck if they are present or not. My mk2 GS300 didn't have them (hence not there in the tutorial), my GS430 does have them.

470903F.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies. Had another go today only to find the 17mm bolts on the caliper are ceased tighter than... Something that is really, really tight.

At this point I admit defeat and return to the hugely non-mechanical world world of web design from wence I came and will swallow the £87 labour charge at the garage.

On a brighter note, I am now very proficient in the removal and refit of car wheels so if the office thing goes wrong I can look forward to a career in a pit crew or slightly less ambitiously, a criminal...

Thanks again.

hey, at least you tried and had attempt. some people are lazy to even take the wheel off and inspect'

one step at a time I guess

good luck in the future pal, all the best -

I was in the exact same position as you last week. I couldnt for the life of me get the 17mm bolts off the caliper. I didnt give up due to having a very small socket set. Borrowed my Dads bigger set with his rubber mallet and got it off with some bashing hehe. That was only the start of it, getting the disc off was a bitch n all

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links