Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I lived in southern Germany for 9 years and everyone there used winter tyres, however I am not convinced that they are worth the additional expense in the UK, unless you live in a part of the country that is under snow for long periods... especially when you already drive a AWD vehicle.

Winter tyres are made of a softer compound and have different threads to regular tyres. Together, they make for a cushier and quieter ride and also provide better grip in snow, and to some extent on ice. However above temperatures of 8C, you will find that they wear considerably faster than ordinary tyres. Note also that they often have speed restrictions.

If you decide to go for them, one thing you may want to consider, is to buy another set of wheels, ideally steel rims as opposed to alloys. It will make storage easier, will avoid having your tyres weaken by having them removed from/refitted to your current wheels every so many months, will remove the need to have your wheels rebalanced. It will also mean that your previous alloys will be less exposed to salt etc, You may possibly be able to fit narrower and cheaper tyres for the winter.

I have been running winter tyres all year around for the past three years, no problems at all unless you want to go rallying in Dubai, modern winter rated tyres wear at about the same rate as summer tyres now, the compounds are completely different from even just a few years ago, they get more "normal" with each generation. Mine on the RX are Falken Eurowinters, not bad at all especially for the price, if you want the very best buy Michelin Alpin or Continental Winter Contacts.

My wifes BMW is running Nokian winter tyres year around, I think they are on the 4th year now, and although she does not drive fast I still think thats good going even for summer tyres!

Forget whats said about the addition expense of running them, the only added outlay is a set of after market alloys (or if your prefer steels, but harder to source than alloys nowadays), because while your running the winters for 4 or 5 months your summer tyres are not getting worn.......so you will not be replacing those as often.

Buy the best you can afford because some of the cheaper winter tyres are awful, and you will never know until you enter the ditch!

• Like 1

I'm a complete convert. And to start with I was a total sceptic!! So they must work lol

Last year the Lexus, even through all that bad stuff, was awesome. Uphill, down hill, on Ice, in the wet etc etc. If you haven't tried them, I would say try them - get a cheap 2nd hand set if you're worried about the cost. I bought 2 off eBay with 5-6mm on each for the rears for £80 for the GS, 2 new ones on the front from www.mytyres.co.uk (all same pattern), and they were brilliant. The crisp turn in on cold dry days, in the wet and of-course the slippy stuff. I have Pirelli Sottozero 2's.

EDIT: Now is the best time to buy. They are much cheaper. The tyre fitter also stated that you can run them all year round - especially the Hankook iCepts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

im looking at getting some winter tyres for my RX400h. however its very hard to source a set of 4 Lexus rims.

ill keep looking but its hard to find local in surrey even on fleabay.

some listings and adverts are silly prices. dont know weather to speak to my insurance co and say whats the add on premium for after market allows.

if its only around £50 i may just do that and get some better alloys than lexus once it has at the mo. get the Dunlops taken of and fitted to new alloys.

then have winter tyres put on the lexus rims.

what your thoughts. seems like the lexus rims have a bad reputation and for the sake of a small premium increase i can get better. not a boy racer thing but its a vicious circle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links