Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Still Possible To Buy A Decent Ls400 Mkiv?

Hey guys

Nice to meet all of the Lexus and especially the LS400 lovers.

Long story short I used to have an PrimeraGT and Subaru Legacy 3.0R, but as I moved to UK I can't bring my car with me (LHD). I was looking at all possible brands and models, as I am really passionate about cars and to be honest I've felt in love with LS400. At the beginning I was thinking about buying myself a nice MKII or MKIII but I do believe, 5th gear, 280bhp and 407 nM make a difference. I'd like to spend around 2 grand, or 2500 at the most, but I know I'd have to keep additional 500 quid in my pocket for extra details, so 2500 must be a really in top condition (which might be hard to achieve, considering that the car is 13 years old). Am I realistic in thinking about a decent MKIV in around 2000 pounds, or should I wait longer and start my search when I'm gonna have like 3500 (Which might be even July 2014)? To be honest, you can even buy a LS400 MK IV at 1200-1500 pounds, but I'm scared of getting a car from a car dealer, even if it says "full service history". The other problem is, that there are not many LS400 on sale, and since I'm searching for one from the beginning of july I don't know if I'm gonna find something really decent. I thought about buying something near Manchester, as I live in the city, but if the price is reasonable and the service record looks fine, then I'm considering going anywhere in UK. So just to recap, for those who hate reading long stories:

Is it possible to buy a decent LS400 MKIV within 1500-2500 budget.

What do You think guys or what are Your experiences with buying a car from a car dealer.

Bart

Welcome to LOC. £2,500 will buy you a really nice MK4 if you're prepared to wait and maybe travel. They do come up, but good ones go fairly quickly. They'll be plenty of advice from members.

Phil

Hi and welcome to the LOC.

There have been a couple of nice Mk4s sold recently both I think under 70,000 miles and with good history around the sort of money you are looking to spend, £2K is getting near top dollar for one of these in good nick with SH.

You are right in thinking they are getting rare especially the Mk4s as they are considered to be the best of the 400s.

Finding one is like anything else lots of searching and that takes time but if you put the effort in you will win.

Keep a regular watch on this part of the forum as members who come across one being sold often put a heads up on it.

Service history is important but it doesn't all have to be Lexus as long as it has service history at the correct times then Independent garages do a good job.

Cam belts are one of the important things to check I cant remember the intervals but there is plenty of info already posted on here.

I have to agree I don't like buying from dealers but that is not to say they have only got rubbish ones there have been some good buys. I prefer private because I can make my own mind up whether the car is a nice straight one or something that has been to the moon and back and that the service history and V5 will be sent to me next week when the old owner has sent it to them.

Its just common sense and there are plenty of great members who have valuable info and only to happy to help you good luck Mike

Welcome fella

You have made the right choice, but as others have said you do need to bide your time and choose carefully and sound out the guys on here with any queries or finds you come accross.

I have had my Mk IV for just over a year and it came up out of the blue really. I paid £2200 for it when they were selling for sub £1500 but it was a good buy for me as it had virtually a full history and all papers to proove it.

Good luck with the search

Wow Nice one. Cheers for warm welcome, and good tips. I've read about the cam belt, that's why I'm not asking questions, which were asked dozen of times. Also I've seen and read the stories of the LCDs, water pump (with cam belt), and even watched Top Gear and Wheeler Dealers about LS400 (though it was about MKII or MKIII). Are there any other websites than autotrader and eBay to look for a car, or I should stick to both of them with my searches? I think autotrader has a really nice feature, which allows You to remotely check HPI and all other stuff when You pay them some money. It's really good to hear (read) that with a budget around 2000 pounds (sorry but my keyboard lacks GBP symbol) I can buy a decent Lexus, but it is hard to believe that I can find a 13-year old car under 100.000 miles. Anyway sounds really promising, as I thought that something around 2000 GBP will have over 140.000 miles. That really sounds Good.

Guest macash48

Hi All,

It is possible they are out there

Well I have just become the proud owner of an LS400 Mk4 with wait for it ...........28,000 yes 28 thousand miles on the clock and a full Lexus service history with black leather interior. Only few minor flies in the ointment, it has never had a cambelt change but have been quoted £295 for this, the wheels need a refurb and it is in dark green metallic but I can live with that. It is awesome !!!!Everything works!!

I did pay probably ott tho at £3K. What do you think?

This is my first post so Hi everybody !

Wow Nice one. Cheers for warm welcome, and good tips. I've read about the cam belt, that's why I'm not asking questions, which were asked dozen of times. Also I've seen and read the stories of the LCDs, water pump (with cam belt), and even watched Top Gear and Wheeler Dealers about LS400 (though it was about MKII or MKIII). Are there any other websites than autotrader and ebay to look for a car, or I should stick to both of them with my searches? I think autotrader has a really nice feature, which allows You to remotely check HPI and all other stuff when You pay them some money. It's really good to hear (read) that with a budget around 2000 pounds (sorry but my keyboard lacks GBP symbol) I can buy a decent Lexus, but it is hard to believe that I can find a 13-year old car under 100.000 miles. Anyway sounds really promising, as I thought that something around 2000 GBP will have over 140.000 miles. That really sounds Good.

Piston Heads always have around 20 + cars for sale. 36 at the moment http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lexus/ls

Happy hunting. Mike

Hi All,

Well I have just become the proud owner of an LS400 Mk4 with wait for it ...........28,000 yes 28 thousand miles on the clock and a full Lexus service history with black leather interior. Only few minor flies in the ointment, it has never had a cambelt change but have been quoted £295 for this, the wheels need a refurb and it is in dark green metallic but I can live with that. It is awesome !!!!Everything works!!

Some might say you payed too much, and going by the book you probably did, but you have a fabulous low mileage car that should waft you around reliably for many years to come.

I defy anybody to show me better value.

You'll put a few quid in the tank, for sure, but negligible depreciation, superb reliability and the sheer driving pleasure, more than make up for that.

Enjoy, I know you will.

Hi All,

Some might say you payed too much, and going by the book you probably did, but you have a fabulous low mileage car that should waft you around reliably for many years to come.

I defy anybody to show me better value.

You'll put a few quid in the tank, for sure, but negligible depreciation, superb reliability and the sheer driving pleasure, more than make up for that.

Enjoy, I know you will.

Hi David and welcome to the LOC. The best kept secret in the motoring world.

Anything you have for sale is only worth what an individual is prepared to pay. I would always expect to pay over the norm for a car like that. Its still almost brand new and to me that would mean a lot as long as all the paper work matches the said history of the car.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought at paying that for that gem of a car.

There is a Lexus meet on the 24th bring your baby and be the star of the show, unless of course there is another one with even less mileage. Here's a link to the meet not far from you. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/82234-east-midlands-meet-english-heritage-motor-museum-aug-24th/

In the meantime can we have some pictures of her?

Mike

Guest macash48

Well I did manage to knock £500 off the original asking price and I know there were a few other potential buyers sniffing about so all things considered I happy. I forgot to mention it is a genuine 1 owner car. Chap that ordered it new was MD of his own small company but he unfortunately passed away before delivery. His wife took over the helm of the company and just kept it for sentimental reasons hardly using it and getting it serviced at Lexus. Its not perfect but as I say it will more than do for me. and yes I know it was over the odds but hey you only live once and I have been looking for ages. The £295 for the cambelt was a quote from Lexus Coventry they said they would obviously check but doubted it would need new tensioners or waterpump does that sound right?

Oh and thanks for the invite I will talk to the missus as its not that far from me thats right.

I shall get my camera out and post some pics later.

Guest macash48

Apologise for hijacking someone else s thread, but Mike is it possible to message you offline somehow as I would like to pick your brains about lpg as I can see from your profile you have it and not wanting to put everybody through this topic again could do with some advice

Apologise for hijacking someone else s thread, but Mike is it possible to message you offline somehow as I would like to pick your brains about lpg as I can see from your profile you have it and not wanting to put everybody through this topic again could do with some advice

Have replied to your PM Mike

Well I did manage to knock £500 off the original asking price and I know there were a few other potential buyers sniffing about so all things considered I happy. I forgot to mention it is a genuine 1 owner car. Chap that ordered it new was MD of his own small company but he unfortunately passed away before delivery. His wife took over the helm of the company and just kept it for sentimental reasons hardly using it and getting it serviced at Lexus. Its not perfect but as I say it will more than do for me. and yes I know it was over the odds but hey you only live once and I have been looking for ages. The £295 for the cambelt was a quote from Lexus Coventry they said they would obviously check but doubted it would need new tensioners or waterpump does that sound right?

Oh and thanks for the invite I will talk to the missus as its not that far from me thats right.

I shall get my camera out and post some pics later.

Cam belt price is good. Mike

King Bart, don't be at all put off by a very high mileage car. If the servicing and cambelt is up-to-date then you should be ok. The drive train is indestructible on the LS400.

I've had a Mk1 and a Mk2 and now my Mk3 and been driving the LS400s for 10 years now.

Never experienced an issue other than maintenance and minor aggro like a rear light bulb not lasting more than 16 years !

Enjoy your car, good inexpensive one's are around, you've just got to hunt one out !

Malc

Bart,

I paid £2.2K for a Mk4, a tad over the top, but in good condition, and having had a Mk2 before I feel that Mk4 is a better car. (though sat nav is next to useless)

One thing to add is that I find these heavy cars are tough on the front end running gear, so Mk4s are coming up to the time when the front end may be less than best, so make sure you try low speed braking, high speed breaking, and a variety of speeds on your average naff road.

As for mileage mine had 125000 when bought and runs like new, and as others say go for a full service history. I bought from a dealer down in west country, and to be honest was a bit wary having had fingers burnt in past, but must say this chap proved that there are some decent dealers out there.

One other thing, I found many LS400s with leaky boot syndrome, always good for knocking down the price a bit, and a real easy fix - no need to buy new seal, just clean out old one and re-fit.

Mike as requested pics of my (to me) Lexus

Cheers

Davidattachicon.gif3904224.jpgattachicon.gif3904227.jpgattachicon.gif3904228.jpg

Exterior colour same as mine. I wasn't sure about it first as I was after a silver one but my one came along with good history , private sale and everything was saying yes, but since I've owned her now 3 1/2 years I've got to love the colour, I call it Goodwood Green, I know its wrong but I like it. . When she has been cleaned up she looks amazing. I have a beige coloured interior.

Cant wait to see it one day. Happy Lexing. Mike

Hi All,

I would have paid that if I was really happy with the car and all the history was genuine. As I've said before. If its worth it to you, then it's worth it! Well done, nice car and lovely colour.

Phil

i would of thought you could find a decent one for £2.5 although you should'nt discount one just because its cheaper there can be some good buys out there for not too much money,some dealers ask a lot intially, then they drop after a while coz it is a limited market for ls,iv seem alot of top dollar dealer cars that have not been as good as cheaper ones,you just need to see a few of them

Thanks for all the replies, one thing though I cannot understand is asking about LPG in a thread about buying a decent LS, but if it helps, be my guest Mike.

It's good to know all the tips and tricks about buying a LS, especially the one about boot. One thing though I'd like to ask is the SatNav, which is next to useless. The question is: "Why". I know that nowadays most (all) smartphones have SatNav, and as I'm working in O2 Market Street Store, and own a 3 smartphones it's not a problem, but the SatNav is taking a lot of space, so would like to know should I keep it, or tear it and place a LCD with DVD or something.

Thanks for all the replies, one thing though I cannot understand is asking about LPG in a thread about buying a decent LS, but if it helps, be my guest Mike.

It's good to know all the tips and tricks about buying a LS, especially the one about boot. One thing though I'd like to ask is the SatNav, which is next to useless. The question is: "Why". I know that nowadays most (all) smartphones have SatNav, and as I'm working in O2 Market Street Store, and own a 3 smartphones it's not a problem, but the SatNav is taking a lot of space, so would like to know should I keep it, or tear it and place a LCD with DVD or something.

It's a thirteen year old system, so, understandably, is nowhere near as good as even a basic modern system.

However, it's touch screen, and controls climate, music etc.

The Sat Nav isn't to bad as long as the place was built at least 15 or more years ago and you cant use postcodes. I bought a Tom Tom which gets over the problem without too much pain. If you rip out all the screen you will then lose all the controls for heating, A/C, audio etc as they are worked by the touch sensitive screen.

I dont understand about the LPG part of this message, Mike

Hi All,

Who quoted you an LS cambelt change for £295? :msn-oh: Tell us his name there'll be a rush :flowers:

Hi All,

Who quoted you an LS cambelt change for £295? :msn-oh: Tell us his name there'll be a rush :flowers:

Post #10.................Lexus Coventry.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links