Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Still Possible To Buy A Decent Ls400 Mkiv?

i like the dated Sat Nav. Mine works ok on the few occasions I have needed it. Quite retro in a good way and a good talking point too. Keep it.

I find my sat nav to be excellent. In the nearly 12 months I've owned it it's only let me down once.

Guest macash48

Lexus Coventry said it was a fixed price including fitting for older vehicles.

It doesnt include a waterpump and tensioners. But I was told by their service guy that these (Pump and tensioners) rarely need changing.

Now I am new to Lexus but that doesn't ring true with other makes ?

Lexus Coventry said it was a fixed price including fitting for older vehicles.

It doesnt include a waterpump and tensioners. But I was told by their service guy that these (Pump and tensioners) rarely need changing.

Now I am new to Lexus but that doesn't ring true with other makes ?

I used Lexus Coventry for 10+ years before moving to Lincolnshire at the end of last year. If they give you a price then they will stick to it. Steve Tapp in service is extremely knowledgeable on Lexus and is always happy to try to help and advise.

Guest macash48

Thanks Dave that is very reassuring and I would say to anyone looking for an LS400 if everything else stacks up i.e the condition and service history etc but their is no evidence or as in my case the owner just admitted the cambelt is the one thing that hadnt been done. Use it as a bargaining chip on the price and get it. Provided there is know leaks/ strange sounds from the waterpump its not going to break the bank to get it done. Gonna get mine booked in.

Also get this, they will provide you with a courtesy car (please let it be a new Lexus) or they will come and pick up the car and deliver it back to you !

Careful though as I am sure other repairs are mortgage induceingly scary.

Macash48 I don't want to be rude, but You can ask any mod to move Your topics/questions/querries to any other thread, as I receive emails about replies in this thread and I'm always hoping that I'll find something related to my questions, maybe a new link or info about someone selling LS400. As You may think, the posts I find in my thread are not "buying decent ls400" related.

Is there anyone in Manchester who owns LS400? I can get to You, as I would like to see how well maintained LS400 MKIV should behave so it might be including me in a ride on a passenger seat :)

• Like 1

Thanks Dave that is very reassuring and I would say to anyone looking for an LS400 if everything else stacks up i.e the condition and service history etc but their is no evidence or as in my case the owner just admitted the cambelt is the one thing that hadnt been done. Use it as a bargaining chip on the price and get it. Provided there is know leaks/ strange sounds from the waterpump its not going to break the bank to get it done. Gonna get mine booked in.

Also get this, they will provide you with a courtesy car (please let it be a new Lexus) or they will come and pick up the car and deliver it back to you !

Careful though as I am sure other repairs are mortgage induceingly scary.

If you look at Lexus.co.uk and go to servicing it gives fixed prices for LS series although the LS430 /LS460 are listed not LS400. Price listed for LS430 cambelt is £295 inc. parts/labour/VAT so I would think that most of the other prices in that menu would include the LS400.

Guest macash48

Bart,

Appreciate what you are saying. Not very good at this posting thing yet got a bit carried away.

Can a moderator move stuff to a new thread or do I have to work out how to start one. Anybody help?

and I will move on so to speak. Good luck with your search Bart.

Bart,

Appreciate what you are saying. Not very good at this posting thing yet got a bit carried away.

Can a moderator move stuff to a new thread or do I have to work out how to start one. Anybody help?

and I will move on so to speak. Good luck with your search Bart.

If you go to FORUMS then click on the forum you want there is a box on the right

hand side START NEW TOPIC, click the box and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...

My Best Man bought a lovely LS 400 Mk 4 for his father-in-law who lives abroad. The car is lovely. Full Lexus service history and I personally know the two previous owners. I am trying to convince my chum to convince his-father-in law to sell it to me. If I succeed I'll be selling my lovely almost concours Mk3. Wish me luck and keep watching this space!

As good as a Service Manager is he or is staff should not make statements like " The Water pump and tensioners rarely need changing ". My mark 1 lost its cambelt through a failed water pump 6 thousand miles after the second routine replacement of the cambelt,water pump and tensioners should have been replaced .Testimony to this was a quieter engine when the new items were fitted, fortunatly I had no valve damage as there was clearance on the first engines, not so today, so do not have the cambelt changed in isolation if the car as done over 100k and as not had the water pump replaced.

My Best Man bought a lovely LS 400 Mk 4 for his father-in-law who lives abroad. The car is lovely. Full Lexus service history and I personally know the two previous owners. I am trying to convince my chum to convince his-father-in law to sell it to me. If I succeed I'll be selling my lovely almost concours Mk3. Wish me luck and keep watching this space!

Success! I have just become the owner of a beautiful LS 400 Mk 4. This car will be put through the usual 'Pepe' process in order to make it PERFECT. Right now I'm going through the paperwork as the car is currently on SORN.

As I said, I'm now looking for a good home for my immaculate Mk 3. Interested members please PM me.

This is all for now.

Cheers

Pepe

Thanks for all the replies, one thing though I cannot understand is asking about LPG in a thread about buying a decent LS, but if it helps, be my guest Mike.

It's good to know all the tips and tricks about buying a LS, especially the one about boot. One thing though I'd like to ask is the SatNav, which is next to useless. The question is: "Why". I know that nowadays most (all) smartphones have SatNav, and as I'm working in O2 Market Street Store, and own a 3 smartphones it's not a problem, but the SatNav is taking a lot of space, so would like to know should I keep it, or tear it and place a LCD with DVD or something.

It's a thirteen year old system, so, understandably, is nowhere near as good as even a basic modern system.

However, it's touch screen, and controls climate, music etc.

I agree! satnav gets you there, what else do you need?

As to value? Look at other cars you can get for £2K+......I have......and realise that the Ser 4 is a bargain.

Sure, it costs a bit in maintenance, but it is supreme!

Guest macash48

Ambermarine post. Must admit was a bit surprised the service manager said only do the cambelt and he repeated it several times.

The car has only done 28k and so I have skeptically takken his advice belt replaced last monday £295.00 all in. I guess time will tell (gulp!). However if I do the mileage and it is due to be replaced again it will get the lot, belt,tensioners and waterpump.

Gotta say these cars are amazing, put it in sport mode jab the throttle and it is off like a cruise missile LOVE IT !!

Guest macash48

Next on my to do list is the proverbial detachable towbar. Found a company in Leicester, Bermick Motor

Accessories who will fit a watling detachable towbar and elecs so that good news then its onward and possible lpg !

I've got this notion that replacing the waterpump and tensioners etc probably on the 3rd cambelt change at 180k miles for the series Mks 1 - 3 ................... ( cambelt change at 100k miles on the Mk4 ).

Unless of course there are signs that they need replacing sooner.

Malc

Mascash48

Sorry about the misunderstanding on my behalf did'nt realize you were talking so low a mileage ,yes it did need changing on years as did my mark 4 at 18k and of course nothing else.

Success! I have just become the owner of a beautiful LS 400 Mk 4. This car will be put through the usual 'Pepe' process in order to make it PERFECT. Right now I'm going through the paperwork as the car is currently on SORN.

As I said, I'm now looking for a good home for my immaculate Mk 3. Interested members please PM me.

This is all for now.

Cheers

Pepe

Well done that man! You'll have to go some to make it look as good as your existing one. What colour?

Phil

This is all for now.

Cheers

Pepe

Well done that man! You'll have to go some to make it look as good as your existing one. What colour?

Phil

Thank you, Phil. The colour is the same as my Mk 3 but the upholstery is black. The Mk 4 is also in far better cosmetic condition than my Mk 3 when I bought it. I'm sure it will take LESS work to make it look as good as my existing one. I shall continue to report as events unfold.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links