Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are We Being Overcharged?

When watching Marvel's Agents of SHIELD tonight I noticed they were driving a Lexus SUV. So I was checking out the US Lexus website to see which one it was (it's a GX) when I noticed something else:

New American Lexus cars are a LOT cheaper than new UK ones! The exchange rate is 1.6 dollars to the pound at the moment so...

US LS600h - $134K = £84K, UK LS600H £100K - £16,000 more expensive

US RX450h - $56K = £35K, UK RX450h - £55k - £20,000 more expensive!

US IS250 F Sport RWD - $42K = £26K, UL IS250 F Sport £31K - £5000 more expensive

Note that these are for the same top spec versions and that the US versions seem to have a much wider range of interior and exterior colours available and fewer and cheaper 'accessories' . Not only that but there are a far wider choice of cars in the US, with a huge choice of engines: IS350 F Sport with AWD anyone?

Does anyone have an idea why the UK versions are so much more expensive and with so little choice? Or are we just paying extra because that's what the market will bear?

It's where we live "Rip Off Britain" :)

It's the same with parts they're 50% cheaper in the USA, take type IV Toyota transmission fluid UK £60.00 for 5 litres, USA around £20.00.

• Like 1

So many things to consider when comparing prices. Sales Taxes (are they included in the shown price?)different rates,different States, nowhere near the 20% VAT we pay.I would imagine a plot of land in Texas,big enough for a Lexus dealership could be rented for next to nothing, I dread to think of the rent and rates that Lexus Park Lane pay. Sales volume will play an important part too. Many more vehicles sold in the US which enables each individual car to be sold for less than in the UK. Does it cost less to ship a car to the US than the UK from Japan? Some Lexus models being made in Canada, does this come into the equation. As I said, so many things to consider.

Agree with the above posters though, we are taken to the cleaners with the tax we pay, BUT, if they didn't tax the car owners for billions then they'd have to get it from 'somewhere else' and we all know that 'somewhere else' will include us, so they'll get us one way or another.

I'd love to know how much actually goes to Toyota from the sale of a £100k LS600,

Exchange rates do vary and taking into account the rate at the moment, going on holiday to the US does make purchases very appealing.

• Like 1

So many things to consider when comparing prices. Sales Taxes (are they included in the shown price?)different rates,different States, nowhere near the 20% VAT we pay.I would imagine a plot of land in Texas,big enough for a Lexus dealership could be rented for next to nothing, I dread to think of the rent and rates that Lexus Park Lane pay. Sales volume will play an important part too. Many more vehicles sold in the US which enables each individual car to be sold for less than in the UK. Does it cost less to ship a car to the US than the UK from Japan? Some Lexus models being made in Canada, does this come into the equation. As I said, so many things to consider.

Agree with the above posters though, we are taken to the cleaners with the tax we pay, BUT, if they didn't tax the car owners for billions then they'd have to get it from 'somewhere else' and we all know that 'somewhere else' will include us, so they'll get us one way or another.

I'd love to know how much actually goes to Toyota from the sale of a £100k LS600,

Exchange rates do vary and taking into account the rate at the moment, going on holiday to the US does make purchases very appealing.

I agree with much of what you say but when it comes to taxes as you say if they didnt get it there they would have to get from somewhere else. There is a simple answer to constantly wanting more tax and that is too cut the overheads, this dosent mean cutting services of the most vunerable in our society or many other services, but to cut severely all those so called jobs that are there in local and main government bodies that are there supposidly to implament the various services. Believe you me you would be astonished at the billions that are wasted too a criminal level, but we are now so apathetic too this and many other problems within this countries make up that we just let them get away with it time and time again.

Apathy is the reason that we pay far more for everything here in the UK.

• Like 1

I agree with much of what you say but when it comes to taxes as you say if they didnt get it there they would have to get from somewhere else. There is a simple answer to constantly wanting more tax and that is too cut the overheads, this dosent mean cutting services of the most vunerable in our society or many other services, but to cut severely all those so called jobs that are there in local and main government bodies that are there supposidly to implament the various services. Believe you me you would be astonished at the billions that are wasted too a criminal level, but we are now so apathetic too this and many other problems within this countries make up that we just let them get away with it time and time again.

Absolutely.

Too many parasites trying to run our lives for us.

Town councils, county councils, Welsh parliament, British parliament, and the jewel in the bloody crown, Europe!!

This is where massive savings could be made, not cutting benefits for the GENUINE needy, though of course I'm all in favour of weeding out the spongers.

Absolutely.

Too many parasites trying to run our lives for us.

Town councils, county councils, Welsh parliament, British parliament, and the jewel in the bloody crown, Europe!!

This is where massive savings could be made, not cutting benefits for the GENUINE needy, though of course I'm all in favour of weeding out the spongers.

Weeding out the spongers would save a

pittance compared to what you could save by shutting down all the

bureaucracy this country is laden down by, get rid of 90% of the real

spongers that call themselves politicians and all their mates, all the government

committees, all the quangos, make them do what we want them to do and

not what they want to do, remember they are there to do our bidding

and not just too serve themselves. Remind me how much they upped

their salaries by earlier this year where as a nurse is told at the

very best they can look forward too is 1% as that is all they can afford.

The war on spongers is nothing more

than a diverting exercise to make you believe they are doing a good

job when in truth all they are doing is bullying the poorest and the

weakest in our society and making out they are looking after our

interests, don’t get me wrong I know there are people out there

that will always take advantage but there are far worse in those that

are directing it.

I will stop there, you can see where I

am going.

When watching Marvel's Agents of SHIELD tonight I noticed they were driving a Lexus SUV. So I was checking out the US Lexus website to see which one it was (it's a GX) when I noticed something else:

New American Lexus cars are a LOT cheaper than new UK ones! The exchange rate is 1.6 dollars to the pound at the moment so...

US IS250 F Sport RWD - $42K = £26K, UL IS250 F Sport £31K - £5000 more expensive

Note that these are for the same top spec versions and that the US versions seem to have a much wider range of interior and exterior colours available and fewer and cheaper 'accessories' . Not only that but there are a far wider choice of cars in the US, with a huge choice of engines: IS350 F Sport with AWD anyone?

Does anyone have an idea why the UK versions are so much more expensive and with so little choice? Or are we just paying extra because that's what the market will bear?

The UK has ALWAYS been known by manufactures worldwide as "Treasure island" In the case of cars its because we drive right hand vehicles AND the other reason is they know that the government will not do anything about the over-pricing, other than pay lip-service to the idea of price parity with even European Countries,

The UK has ALWAYS been known by manufactures worldwide as "Treasure island" In the case of cars its because we drive right hand vehicles AND the other reason is they know that the government will not do anything about the over-pricing, other than pay lip-service to the idea of price parity with even European Countries,

Not so sure about the 1st part of your post but agree wholeheartedly with the second part. Mike

That old chestnut,about "rip-off Britain" again! An unfortunate fact of life,choosing,as most on this on this Forum do,to live on this Sceptic Isle, putting up,with what in effect,is daily Highway Robbery,when buying most anything,here in the UK.

I lived in Canada,for most of the Seventies,where,even then,folks there,expected,and received,good service,( woe betide,any Staff,in any Business, who didn't provide it,they'd soon be out of a job) if you,as a Customer complained about shoddy service/ attitude, or some such thing,they would listen, and hasten to reimburse/placate you, I might add,that they never took complaining,as a personal thing,getting offended,and huffy,which,as we all know,is endemic in the British psyche, in short,we put up with too damn much in the UK,right across the board,we are being taken for a ride,and pathetically,we all bend over,and take it,-here endeth my rant.

• Like 1

How on earth do you conclude that car manufacturers class the UK as "Treasure Island" on the basis that we drive on the left?

Because it enables them to claim our cars are "different" During Wilsons time we had the opportunity to change to LH drive and encouraged by manufactures we voted aganst it :whistling: Durig that time a Scandinavian country changed overnight

How on earth do you conclude that car manufacturers class the UK as "Treasure Island" on the basis that we drive on the left?

Because it enables them to claim our cars are "different" During Wilsons time we had the opportunity to change to LH drive and encouraged by manufactures we voted aganst it :whistling: Durig that time a Scandinavian country changed overnight

25% of countries drive on the left as we do, including Japan. Whilst I agree with the 2nd part of your original post, your reasoning that they use the fact that we drive on the left is not sound.

What bearing has a Scandinavian country changing to driving on the right got on the price of cars in the UK?

25% of countries drive on the left as we do, including Japan. Whilst I agree with the 2nd part of your original post, your reasoning that they use the fact that we drive on the left is not sound.

What bearing has a Scandinavian country changing to driving on the right got on the price of cars in the UK?

I mentioned the other country to show that some did change when the opportunity arose. They do use it as an excuse by claiming it costs more for them to produce a RH drive motor. Firms such as VW have already been heavily fined by the EU for such practices & told to introduce price parity with all of Europe but have as yet failed to do so

Durig that time a Scandinavian country changed overnight

I assume you refer to Sweden who, out of interest, held a referendum in 1955 in which almost 83% voted against changing and did not change the law until 1963. The change was then not implemented until September 1967.

I mentioned the other country to show that some did change when the opportunity arose. They do use it as an excuse by claiming it costs more for them to produce a RH drive motor. Firms such as VW have already been heavily fined by the EU for such practices & told to introduce price parity with all of Europe but have as yet failed to do so

Nothing to do with left or right hand drive. It's to do with successive UK governments pandering to the EU and also the tax imposed by the UK governments. As I said before, 25% of countries drive on the left but they don't all have the same levels of taxation as we do in the UK.

• Like 1

. They do use it as an excuse by claiming it costs more for them to produce a RH drive motor. Firms such as VW have already been heavily fined by the EU for such practices & told to introduce price parity with all of Europe but have as yet failed to do so

I'd be grateful if you could let me know when VW were fined for charging more for RHD cars Jon. As far as I am aware "firms such as VW" have not been fined for this.

That old chestnut,about "rip-off Britain" again! An unfortunate fact of life,choosing,as most on this on this Forum do,to live on this Sceptic Isle, putting up,with what in effect,is daily Highway Robbery,when buying most anything,here in the UK.

I lived in Canada,for most of the Seventies,where,even then,folks there,expected,and received,good service,( woe betide,any Staff,in any Business, who didn't provide it,they'd soon be out of a job) if you,as a Customer complained about shoddy service/ attitude, or some such thing,they would listen, and hasten to reimburse/placate you, I might add,that they never took complaining,as a personal thing,getting offended,and huffy,which,as we all know,is endemic in the British psyche, in short,we put up with too damn much in the UK,right across the board,we are being taken for a ride,and pathetically,we all bend over,and take it,-here endeth my rant.

...and yet you left and have been living here ever since? You're always free to go back... :shifty:

Grahams post (#4) is excellent - the best explanation I have ever heard for our predicament.

'The grass is always greener...' is a very apt saying for those complaining about Blighty - we're not perfect but nowhere is and selfish, incompetent politicians are a universal constant.

Much easier just to not worry about it and...chill... :innocent:

That old chestnut,about "rip-off Britain" again! An unfortunate fact of life,choosing,as most on this on this Forum do,to live on this Sceptic Isle, putting up,with what in effect,is daily Highway Robbery,when buying most anything,here in the UK.I lived in Canada,for most of the Seventies,where,even then,folks there,expected,and received,good service,( woe betide,any Staff,in any Business, who didn't provide it,they'd soon be out of a job) if you,as a Customer complained about shoddy service/ attitude, or some such thing,they would listen, and hasten to reimburse/placate you, I might add,that they never took complaining,as a personal thing,getting offended,and huffy,which,as we all know,is endemic in the British psyche, in short,we put up with too damn much in the UK,right across the board,we are being taken for a ride,and pathetically,we all bend over,and take it,-here endeth my rant.

I left Canada,not through choice,they wouldn't renew my Residence Visa,so,I had to return to my Country of origin,I arrived back in Britain,incidentally,the same day that Thatcher was elected into power,-a wonderful welcome -home present,that was,and In spite of what ******* we are going through,living in the UK,I,for one,have witnessed first-hand,how relatively lucky most of us are,compared to other Countries,so,I don't take anything for granted.

...and yet you left and have been living here ever since? You're always free to go back... :shifty:

Grahams post (#4) is excellent - the best explanation I have ever heard for our predicament.

'The grass is always greener...' is a very apt saying for those complaining about Blighty - we're not perfect but nowhere is and selfish, incompetent politicians are a universal constant.

Much easier just to not worry about it and...chill... :innocent:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links