Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres

I'm about to shell out for some winter tyres, going for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine P4s all round as I need to keep using my car throughout the whole year and I don't particularly fancy the current tyres in winter weather.

Has anyone used these before? I'm curious as to any feedback on them. I'm aware that the speed rating will drop but as I don't see myself doing 150+ during the winter months I don't see this as a problem..

Cheers

Jon

How much are they for a set Jon?

Spare set of wheels, or swopping the tires on the normal rims?

Do please keep us informed on how they go.

They are not cheap, costing just over 1k for the tyres. I am going to put them on my existing wheels for now and see how they go over winter. Expensive but worth it to keep me moving with a reasonable degree of safety/certainty of being able to get there. Not something I had to worry about with the landcruiser I had before.

I've got three sets of rims for the Elise, garage looks like kwik fit! Summer, winter and track. The family barge just has winter or summer tyres and we swap them over on the same rims. Not sure on isf, as the Elise winters are one season old so its a large expense to get another set. Or maybe sell the Elise ones...

• Like 1

I'm about to shell out for some winter tyres, going for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine P4s all round as I need to keep using my car throughout the whole year and I don't particularly fancy the current tyres in winter weather.

Has anyone used these before? I'm curious as to any feedback on them. I'm aware that the speed rating will drop but as I don't see myself doing 150+ during the winter months I don't see this as a problem..

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon I use these on my ls 400 Great tyres & not to noisy, Have a look at part worns they normally come from Germany & are checked before export , I got a full set fitted for £120 with 6 to 7mm tread from my local part worn tyre shop.

• 2 weeks later...

having got a puncture which totalled the nearside rear tyre today i shall shop about for some winters this week. Id need two new rears anyway as other is 50% worn and i wont run different wear tyres like that. Ho hum , its only money!

having got a puncture which totalled the nearside rear tyre today i shall shop about for some winters this week. Id need two new rears anyway as other is 50% worn and i wont run different wear tyres like that. Ho hum , its only money!

Keep us informed please?

BTW, where r u from?

just spent / wasted half an hour if not more whizzing around websites and am finding the rears (255/35/19) fairly easy to get but the fronts (225/40/19) harder if you dont fancy the bridgestones and dont want pirelli run flats (as I think they'll make the ride harsh to be honest).

For those who didnt realise I've only three wheels on my wagon at the moment as I had a nearside rear puncture over the weekend which totalled the tyre. So whilst I wasnt going to get winters (as our two other cars have them) I might as well since I've got to buy two new rears anyway. (I wouldnt run a new and an old on the same axle)

Hmmm.

had one last google and found a supplier that says they have the right size michelin P4 (not the P3 which that other site didnt rate), full set not fitted £1089.

Oh I dont know anymore, do I bother?

:>

D

insurance and tax is more or less th tyres... Perhaps i just need to get summer tyres and if the forecast is bad take one of the other cars... Be odd though taking an Elise out in snow and leaving the saloon car at home!

I am still waiting for my rear winter tyres to come in, the fronts are stock items in the UK but the rears have to come from the Michelin factory in France. Two weeks and still waiting - I hope I don't damage one of those when they do turn up and I get them on the car..

my chap is looking into availability and should email me later. He also said they would never need to be imported but made valid point that it is way too warm for them at the moment, down south anyway. Ill let you know what he says.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with Blizzaks from Mytyres - dealer is putting them on and storing the summer ones for £75 so all in it will be just over £900

Was surprised by the wet rating on the Blizzaks, however reading the US forums there are a lot of good things said about them.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links