Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blocking Rad

cadfile

Hi just gone from a Prius to the CT 200h with the Prius I used to cover some of the top rad in the winter to improve warming up and lower fuel consumption does anyone know if the ICE rad is at the top or the bottom, with the Prius Gen 3 it was at the bottom but the Gen 2 was at the top.

Hi just gone from a Prius to the CT 200h with the Prius I used to cover some of the top rad in the winter to improve warming up and lower fuel consumption does anyone know if the ICE rad is at the top or the bottom, with the Prius Gen 2 it was at the bottom but the Gen 3 was at the top.

ICE internal combustion engine. Our Gen 2 prius has the top grille blocked in the winter while our CT along with the gen 3 has the bottom grille blocked in the winter since its the engine radiator which I wish to blind rather than the inverter and transaxle radiator.

• 4 weeks later...

It does make a small difference. Since this modification doesn't cost me anything to accomplish apart form a few minutes of time spent, its an easy option. Would I sooner my fuel consumption wasn't as affected by the cooler weather or not ? It makes about the same difference as always keeping the tyres at the upper limit of their pressure range rather than not bothering to check them at all.( I noticed on a previous vehicle that tyre pressures really do vary with ambient temperature in keeping with school boy gas law physics universal gas law P/T= constant provided that volume is constant. In other words, if the temperature goes down the pressure in the tyre will drop too; if the temperature goes up. the pressure in the tyre increases.) Improving a few MPG for very little effort or expenditure is a worthwhile exercise. I expect to cover about 8000 miles this winter so saving 5% or thereabouts on my fuel costs means I travel 400 miles of those 8000 for free.

Hi, I used pipe insulation foam bought from B and Q. Bought a 1metre length and cut in half - it then fits easily into the lower slots below the number plate, held in place with tie wraps. Only negative its colour - grey

I used a piece of 2mm thick white plastic sheeting cut to the size of the lower grille aperture. I hold the blind on with white tie wraps. I splashed out on a Lexus insignia from a shop at the seaside just to make the piece of sheeting look like it belongs where it is. My car is white and the sheeting matches it well enough to get away with it.

Yes, I do but don't know/ cant be bothered to faff about finding out how to post them on this site. I would suggest you go on fuelly website and look at 2011 CT200s . There's one called Lilya's. The picture shown there shows the blind in position on our car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I copied Geof. used thin clear plastic and ties. I also fitted some clear plastic tube around the edges to prevent any scratching of the paintwork. I think that I could have cut it a little larger to fit better, or fit a larger piece of tube around the plastic.

Does it work ? not sure yet, it has been pretty cold here -2/12°c for a couple of weeks will give it a little longer, engine start up time does seem to be about the same as normal though.

Michael.

post-47562-0-75954100-1387137835_thumb.j

post-47562-0-83555600-1387137841_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links