Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Are You Listening To On Your Lexus Sound System?

eekamaouse

Hello,

Music is a big part of my life. I am also new to the Lexus brand of car.

Combining the astonishingly silent interior of my LS430 (newly acquired), and the amazing audiophile quality of the Levinson sound system, listening to music has never been better....whilst driving.

I like a wide range of music, but mainly the jazz, blues, rock, and classical genres.

So, what am I listening to? In my cd stack, I currently have:

Charlie Parker (Bird On 52nd Street)

Paul Weller (BBC Recordings)

Howlin Wolf (Smokestack Lightning)

Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here)

LED Zepplin (Mothership)

Borodin (Polovtsian Dances)

What are you listening to?

I like the 6 Cd changer in my LS400. It means that the old box of CDs in the garage comes out regularly and I can update my car with some great music. At the moment, it's a Dire Straits album, some John Taverner, Sting's Mercury Rising, Brahms' second symphony and a weird album of jazz standards 'conducted' by Simon Rattle. And something else that I can't remember!

220d six disc multichanger:

Foo Fighters- Greatest Hits

The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds- The Murder Ballads

Primus- Brown Album

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zero's- Up From Below (it's got the tune "Home" from the Citroen advert)

The Polyphonic Spree- Yes! It's True

1. Hamilton Loomis "Kickin it" Terrific contemporary blues from Texas.

2. King King "Take my hand" Hard driving rocking blues from Scotland.

3. Pierre Bensusan "Vividly" The father of DADGAD guitar tuning. French Moroccan. Great European Jazz.

4. Tommy Emmanuel CGP "Only" The guitar nut from Australia. Jazz, Blues Folk and self penned tunes.

5. John & Bucky Pizzarelli "Generations" Father & Son smooth guitar Jazz, from Paterson New Jersey USA.

6. Martin Taylor & The Spirit of Django "Last Train to Hauteville" From Harlow the UKs own internationaly renowned Jazz Guitarist.

The sound system in the MK4 is brilliant and its difficult to see where it could be improved. That warm bass is perfect for my genre of music.

• Like 1

hey Eek,

nah, not been to a gig in many moons. I love really heavy bass and \les Claypool from Primus is one of, if not the best if heard including JPJ, Herbie Flowers et al. The bloke is amazing. Once watched a video of him playing a custom built twelve string bass. the sound was indescribable. Just wonderful. I try to keep my finger on the pulse due to the fact I am an aging hippy and have no desire ever to act my age (51). Only got into ed sharpe after the citroen ad for the c3, i think, anyhoo I tracked down a couple of their albums and was hooked. Very friendly, harmless and good tunes. I like! Never seen the foo's either, just not that big a fan, in your honor is my fave though. still think dave grohl wrote it for \kurt cobain, mibbee?

i think bluesman was talking about a guy called django reinhardt, try to find some of his stuff, especially some early stuff he did with yehudi menuhin on violin, sublime stuff.

bluesman correct me if i'm wrong! Iam old and old age does not come on its own.

Best of compilations by Pretenders, Roy Orbison, Hot Chocolate, Cher, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Elvis Presley, plus 50s rock'n'roll mix, Back to black by Amy Winehouse and Freewheeling by Bob Dylan.

That lot have been in the car for months.........I just pick six of them before any long trip.

I've been listening to a lot of my music for forty or fifty years now......never tire of it though.

• Like 1

The six discs currently in mine are

1. Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

2. KISS - Creatures of the Night

3. Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

4. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

5. Metal Church - The Dark

6. Addicted to Bass Winter 2010 - various artists

Hey Frankiethebear,

To one aging hippie (albeit a bald one) to another.....I just turned 51 today!

I think Martin Taylor & the Spirit of Django is giving homage to Django Reinhardt, I guess, Bluesman?

Bang on. Martin has toured with a band he put together many years ago named Spirit of Jango. He dosen't do so much these days because as a solo artist he can earn more money, doesn't have to split it with the band. If you like Django genre try Gary Potter. He hails from Liverpool, completely self taught and always late for gigs, but he is a great guy and very talented. There is a program I think the BBC made on him years ago mainly in his bedroom about how he started, great documentary.

hey Eek,

nah, not been to a gig in many moons. I love really heavy bass and \les Claypool from Primus is one of, if not the best if heard including JPJ, Herbie Flowers et al. The bloke is amazing. Once watched a video of him playing a custom built twelve string bass. the sound was indescribable. Just wonderful. I try to keep my finger on the pulse due to the fact I am an aging hippy and have no desire ever to act my age (51). Only got into ed sharpe after the citroen ad for the c3, i think, anyhoo I tracked down a couple of their albums and was hooked. Very friendly, harmless and good tunes. I like! Never seen the foo's either, just not that big a fan, in your honor is my fave though. still think dave grohl wrote it for \kurt cobain, mibbee?

i think bluesman was talking about a guy called django reinhardt, try to find some of his stuff, especially some early stuff he did with Yehudi Menuhin on violin, sublime stuff.

bluesman correct me if i'm wrong! Iam old and old age does not come on its own.

Hi Frankie, There is only one small piece of Django known to exist which you can see on Youtube.

I'm just as old as I feel, some days though I am older than others.

I think you might be confused with Yehudi Menuhin, I saw him try and play Gypsy Jazz music but as a classically trained musician he it difficult to play in front or behind the beat. Martin played for years with Stephane Grappelli the band also featured another UK guitarist John Etheridge. Together they could really make it swing.

To get yourself completely submerged into Gypsy Jazz give these guys a listen, they will blow your socks off. http://www.therosenbergtrio.com/spip.php?page=videos

sorry bluesman, you're right, it was stephane grappelli. I bow to your greater wisdom. it was very good though. i was never able to get to grips with jazz, but i do like a bit of blues. especially the songs about his woman done left him, stole his shoes, his soap and ate his last bit of pizza, thus rendering him to a sustained period of bi polar disorders eventually leading to chronic alcohol misuse and the inevitable onset of korsakoff's syndrome. You know the kind song I mean...? :) , they always featured heavily in tom and jerry cartoons. The fred quimby ones, not the later chuck jones type......

Come to think of it there was a fair bit of jazz in those toons also. i remember tom making a zoot suit out of a lampshade and jamming with some of the cool alley cats living rough in his area.

You may have your doubts, but i am a responsible adult.

• Like 1

is this the film you mean?

Django Reinhardt - Jazz Hot - Film Short

haven't had the chance to look at your link yet, will do so over the weekend.

there are a band of american/ukrainian gypsy punks called Gogol Bordello that are good for a watch and a listen. i enjoy seeing their energy and the way they attack their music. give them a half hour, it'll grow on you.

is this the film you mean?

Django Reinhardt - Jazz Hot - Film Short

haven't had the chance to look at your link yet, will do so over the weekend.

there are a band of american/ukrainian gypsy punks called Gogol Bordello that are good for a watch and a listen. i enjoy seeing their energy and the way they attack their music. give them a half hour, it'll grow on you.

That's the one, here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u71ITb7_U9Q

Well,

Judging by the above posts, Lexus drivers appear to have quite an ecclectic taste in music. Just a few comments in response to some of the messages:

Megadeath in a 4.3 litre car sounds like a recipe for disaster!! Prog rock - well, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the playlist, since the whole album is usually one track, and Focus are good at that. Gogol Bordello - just listened to "start wearing purple".... tumbleweed moment. Bananarama, well I liked looking at them more than listening.

Thanks for all your contributions, and keep them coming!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links