Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Was Thinking Of Changing To Rx Or Gs

As per title I have been considering changing up to something like the RX as this I'm told is a quieter, more luxurious lexus model and it might be more useful in say bad weather.

Anyway, I took one out recently, a 2007 plate hybrid.

First impressions, slightly more torquey engine, made the vehicle feel light under acceleration which I'm not sure felt stable.

The seats were slightly more comfortable than the 'is' and there was much better space for rear passengers. Obviously the RX is wider although this would mostly benefit a third passenger in the back.

It had the illuminated scuff plates in the rear as well as the front which was nice touch.

However, overall I was quite disappointed.

Firstly I expected it to be quieter, it wasn't. I'd say it felt noisier, the road noise was no better than my is250, the wind noise seemed worse and the engine had a slightly more gruff note to it which sounded not unlike my diesel. The engine noise was definitely more noticeable when pulling off compared to my is250.

It wallowed around corners and the brakes were not as sharp.

I got back I to my is250 SE-L after and it really seemed a much quieter, smoother car all round.

I shall be trying out a GS at some point to see how that fairs but I'd imagine this should be an improvement.

Wondered if any other is250 drivers tried these cars and felt under whelmed.

Carl

Not really, owned an RX, second generation and currently on the third generation and driven a GS. Both are MUCH quieter and luxurious than the previous gen IS which has now become VERY VERY good indeed.

Things like the tyres need to be put into perspective, as well as the road that it is being driven on. Even a slight opening in the window could have lead to an increase in the wind noise. For example, if your car is running on a tyre which is rated at 65db, an RX riding on tyres with a 72db rating is going to make a huge difference.

Personally, I dont think there is a car on the road which is as smooth as the Lexus hybrids not including the CT.

Not really, owned an RX, second generation and currently on the third generation and driven a GS. Both are MUCH quieter and luxurious than the previous gen IS which has now become VERY VERY good indeed.

Things like the tyres need to be put into perspective, as well as the road that it is being driven on. Even a slight opening in the window could have lead to an increase in the wind noise. For example, if your car is running on a tyre which is rated at 65db, an RX riding on tyres with a 72db rating is going to make a huge difference.

Personally, I dont think there is a car on the road which is as smooth as the Lexus hybrids not including the CT.

I have heard that tyres can make a huge difference but I still find it ridiculous that so much emphasis should be on tyres when better sound proofing could have been more consistent,

Maybe I drove a ropey one but to be honest it also felt cheaper and more plasticky and it had this strange device called a key which apparently I had to insert and turn, just crazy.

I'm going to wait until I can afford the latest shape.

Carl

I have heard that tyres can make a huge difference but I still find it ridiculous that so much emphasis should be on tyres when better sound proofing could have been more consistent,

Maybe I drove a ropey one but to be honest it also felt cheaper and more plasticky and it had this strange device called a key which apparently I had to insert and turn, just crazy.

I'm going to wait until I can afford the latest shape.

Carl

To be fair, that model has been around since 2003 so it isnt exactly new. Hence the key. The new ones are much better, I assure you

it may depend on the tyres fitted to the RX. Certainly I have always found the series II to have high road noise, much more than the RX.

The RX450h is more refined compared to the RX400h. Either of them handle like a saloon car, they are 4x4s with a high centre of gravity and are heavy.

The GS would be more what you are used to, I personally would only look at the current shape ones though if handling is of importance.

The GS is a fantastic car just let down by the rattles on the 05 to 07 plates. I drove from London to Switzerland (10hrs) and only topped for 20min to refuel. Very comfortable and eats the mileage.

I drove an RX in 2006, on a Lexus Open Road event, and I thought it was far quieter and superior to the IS220d I had. Everyone looks for something different, though it did suffer from pitch and yaw too much for my liking, and the RX350, showing 16mpg after the test drive was worse than the IS220d!!

I had a drive of an RX450h a while back while my car was at Milton Keynes having a service. To me there was very little difference in the quality of the interior and not as much extra space as I had expected. I was more than happy to stick with my IS220d given the massive hole in my wallet an RX would have left.

Had two new GS300's, then a LS400 I got in 2001 and kept for 11 years!

A years spell with Mercedes has sent me running back to Lexus. But was in a dilema as to which model to get on a fairly limited budget.

Tried the 450H and was very tempted but slightly put off by the small boot and difficulty in finding the right one, didnt like the GS300 I tried (think it was a 2007) the reason that the speaker housing on the top of dash reflected in the windscreen and also felt it not near as smooth and comfortable as the old versions I used to own. Considered a RX but most around seemed very high mileage or very pricey, and I dont have any kids that need to be taken to school. Ended up with an IS 250 which I took delivery of two days ago, and slightly regretting it. Will see how I go with the IS250 but I suspect its days are already numbered in favour of a 450H :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links