Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Problem With Starting After Loosening Battery Terminals

Hope someone can possibly help with problem, I loosened Battery terminals to attache terminals for trickle charger,on trying to start engine it would not start and displayed CHECK VSC OFF on display panel,we removed wires,tightened terminals up and tried engine again,still would not start,it was turning over but sounded like Battery was flat which it was not,it took about 5 mins to finally start engine. .Next day had same starting problem,but after finally starting drove fine. This morning have had exactly same problem but once started ran fine. I phoned Lexus Chester for advice,but they were not at all helpful,suggesting I took car in after next Tuesday. My car is a 1998 LS400,in absolute wonderful condition, has completed 226,000 miles without any problems in the past.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP. This is my first post.

Thanks

rts3contax

Its possible the engine imobiliser kicked in this is usually the problem when Battery as been disconnected it usually requires the dome fuse removing and re-inserting after the terminals have been reconnected and a time delay before trying to start the car .The VSC is a seperate issue and as nothing to do with the start up procedure .Take off the terminals , reconnect, take out the dome fuse, put it back in leave vehicle for ten minutes then try to start it ,the imobiliser should have reset to normal security mode.You will have to reset your clock and your radio ,check if the code is operational on the radio, I hope you have done this earlier before you disconnected the Battery.Any problems ask us again .

Thanks to you all,very reassuring replies, car going to independent garage tomorrow so will show them all your kind replies, will let forum know result and if fixed.

Thank you all again,you are all very kind.

Tommy

My LS 400 Mk 4 was on SORN when I bought it last August. The previous owner always disconnected the Battery to conserve the charge whilst the car was off the road. Before taking delivery of the car he told me that when reconnecting the Battery I should always make sure it was fully charged, and then, once reconnected, to leave the car alone for AT LEAST ONE HOUR before attempting to re-start it. This advice has worked every time.

More recently because of the bad weather I let the Battery run down over a three week period. When I attempted to start the car I got the dreaded CHECK VSC OFF message, and got the clicking sound from the starter motor. I therefore attached the charger leads to the Battery and left the car charging overnight. The following morning when switching on the ignition I again got the CHECK VSC OFF message, but before I could tear my hair out the message disappeared of its own accord and the car started flawlessly.

It is not for the likes of me to probe the reasons for this any further.

Hello Roy,

Thanks for message, about 2 years, but I only do about 3,000 miles a year and nothing over 50 miles,so maybe it needs changing,although there was not the slightest problem until we moved the Battery terminals.

Where are you in Cheshire ?.

Thanks, Tommy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links