Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Where Can I Obtain A Metal Key For My 430 Other Than Main Dealer?

When I bought my LS430 2 or 3 years ago it came without a metal key folded into the plastic access key, incidentally i have 2 of these.

Realising that access to the car is very very difficult when the Battery is flat I went to my local main dealer who told me it would be over £100 to obtain a metal key.

Is there any other way of obtaining a metal key? Confidentiality is assured if you want to send me a PM.

TIA

Thanks for the heads up mark.

I have looked on eBay uk and there are some metal keys on there, however I believe that once I buy one of these blanks it has to be cut.

As I do not already have one to copy for my 430, it would seem that I would still need to go to the main dealer with all my registration details to have a key cut, is that correct?

TIA

If you have no actual metal working key at all, then a blank will be useless as you have nothing to copy.

I had 3 fobs when i got my 430 and they all had a key hidden away in them, it seems very odd that yours are all missing.

They don't fold into the fob on a 430, they slide in and out from behind a little clip, the little clip is at the other end of the fob that goes into the ignition, there is also a little slider button the pushes the key out when you move the holding clip.

Look at this video, it shows you the clip at one end and also you can see the button slider to one side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11oqnQtnRQo

Maybe a good idea would be to get 1 key done at the main dealer, then get yourself some blanks and hop off to a keycutter place for some spares to be done.

I think with car keys you have to take the docs with you to show you are the keeper, correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Thanks again for the help, when I bought the car I was given two plastic access keys, but neither had the metal section tucked inside. I have released the small plastic clip on the end and slid the button on the side, but there is nothing there.

If the only course of action is to go to the main dealer, then I have all the documentation to show that i am the owner of the car, the £100+ may take a little longer. :).

I must confess that modern car electronics terrify me, especially those related to anti-theft immobilisers. I have nightmares of pressing a wrong button somewhere and convincing the car that I'm a thief trying to steal the vehicle. I therefore try to keep things simple in the day-to-day running of my two LS 400s. I simply put away the fancy keys with all the little buttons and instead lock and unlock the car with my 'manual' keys.

I have learned a lot by reading this thread and now need help with the following questions, but first here is a picture of my keys:

post-42486-0-23099300-1387132772_thumb.j

The thick key in the 4 o'clock position is that of my Mk 4 whereas the one in the 10 o'clock position belongs the my Mk 3. I have been looking at several tutorials on youTube and have ascertained that my 'fat' Mk 4 key has a transponder inside. My question is, would my 'thin' Mk 3 key also have a transponder? If the answer is yes, then would I be courting disaster by carrying the two keys in the same key ring?

I should point out that on a few occasions I have absent-mindedly put the wrong key into the wrong car. The steering tilt mechanism is then activated but of course I cannot unlock the ignition and I quickly correct my mistake. So far I have not detected any adverse effects.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Pepe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links