Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi peeps,

One of the things that is slightly frustrating with my GS 300 Sport is the ridiculously hard suspension. When hitting grids or slight bumps in the road it's like hitting the bloody kerb - the whole car rattles like hell. On motorway and normal smoot roads all is fine.

Obviously the Sport version is going to have a harder suspension than non-sport but it seems too hard. The pressure on my tyres are 33 all round (low config should be 32 all round and high figure 36 at front and 35 at back).

Can the suspension be tuned to make it slightly softer ?

Should I alter the tyre pressures ? Is there something wrong with the suspension ?

Gary,

Yours suspenssion is fu*ked mate! Seriously you need to get rid. you want the softer ride of the GS300 but the looks of the sport, right!.

Tell you what mate. Seeing as you are a club member and all that. i'd be willing to swap my perfectly good Stock springs for your lower harder ....er... Knackered ones. Cant say fairer than that now can I?

:shifty: :zee: :shifty:

This is the problem with the sport. The lowered/stiffer springs and the lower profile tyres do make for a bumpy ride. The standard GS (pre 2001) doesn't ride bumps all that well in the first place.

I don't know what you can do to make it better. It's taken Lexus a couple of years to come up with a new sport set up as they couldn't get it to ride well. I haven't driven the latest one but if that is better then I guess you could replace your suspension with the new ones (will not be cheap). If you drop your tyre pressures too much you will get poor fuel economy.

I have a set of standard springs that came off my old '98 GS300 you can have but it will increase the height and mess up the looks.

Probably better to change the springs/shocks combination with a coilover such as the Apexi WS or the HKS LS+. I have 18s (235/40/18 + 265/35/18), live in Hong Kong where the roads are bad and still think the car is comfortable enough.

Alex

ive got a mk2 sport and have the same problem when theres a pot hole in the rd it makes a loud bang noise and u think the engines about to fall out (not impressed at all)

your shocks are knackered if they make a loud bang... the internals start to collapse.

Los,

If you want sports springs, get down to Halfords its were I got the uprated ones for the 430 (£175 Eibach)

I did 40k miles in my 1999 Sport and found the ride fine, for a sports model.

If you want comfort sell it and buy a SE.

I would not trade the car for a SE model. I expect only the suspension setup is a little bit different between the sport and the SE, like stiffer springs and expect that even the shocks of the two models are the same.

By trading your car you would make significant losses on your existing car, much more than the cost of getting a set of comfort spec coilovers or just get the normal/standard springs. That should not be too difficult since many GS owners have changed their suspension. Like me :lol:

Alex

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links