Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1992 Ls400 Losing Oil - Help!

Hi All,

I have just bought a LS400 privately a couple of weeks ago. It has 92k miles on the clock and in all looks in great condition. However after topping up the oil a couple of times, then driving 300 miles, the oil level goes from full to half way on the marks on the oil dip stick. The previous owner completed a full oil change about 5th January 2014, using OEM oil filter and the oil 5w30 from Costco own brand (I am not able to ascertain which 5w30 this is i.e. whether is is A1, A3, etc) . There is no blowing of smoke out the exhaust and there are no drops of oil on my drive. The car runs fine and is lovely to drive. On the long runs I have used cruise control which works well,.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as it is a lovely car and I want to avoid getting rid of it or high expense exceeding car value.

Help!

Thank you for any tips and have a great weekend.

Dominic

Guess you're checking the oil on level ground standing and when the engine is cold and all oil has dropped through the system.

Then if there is no evident oil leakage and it doesn't burn any then it's being used as one might expect from a 22 year old car. Is the halfway between the two marks on the dipstick equivalent to just a half litre maybe !

Malc

hi

dom these cars are not really known for using oil or having headgasket problems

I would do a thorough inspection to see if there are any leaks.

I would also be inclined to try a thicker oil - maybe the oil is too thin.

Hi all, thank you for pointers. It is about 0.5 l per 300 miles. Might it use that much if the wrong 5w30 was used? I might try for a full oil change and swap to 10w30 should it continue. It is a great car in greAt condition and this is the only niggle it has.

Interesting ,i changed the oil on both of our LS400s and a week later both seemed to have lost of oil , no leaks or gasket faults , topped up by half a litre each and kept an eye on it , a mistery i taught 2 cars, did an oil change on mine last week out came the amount i put in , so unless thing start to sound or feel odd i would not worrie to much

I put 5w30 C3 in my car

It has an oil leak that actually appears to be awful - either from the oil level sensor or from the oil pressure switch (think its the sensor) however my car lose VERY little as in less than a cup full over 4000 miles !!!

Maybe someone has put in Bermuda Oil one minute its there and the next its gone without a trace !!!!!

Sounds strange losing that much oil in so few miles,mines at 83,000 and doesn't use a drop between services.

I use Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 fully synthetic.

I would drain the oil and refill using a known good brand then monitor the situation.

A common leak area are the cam cover gaskets and if the under engine cover is still fitted the oil may be collecting on top of this instead of dripping onto the floor.

I also use 5w - 30 sympathetic oil in my. LS400 and doesn't use a drop between servicing and mines at 136,000

Best get the plugs checked to see if they are oiling up a little .. Or give it a fresh oil change with quality oil

I also use 5w - 30 sympathetic oil in my. LS400 and doesn't use a drop between servicing and mines at 136,000

Best get the plugs checked to see if they are oiling up a little .. Or give it a fresh oil change with quality oil

When did you get your LS400

Do you have any photos to upload ?

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies and thoughts, greatly appreciated as I like the LS400 and would hope to keep it a good while. I checked the oil again this morning, and filled it up about 200ml of 5w30 A1 oil which took it back to where it was last week. So that is 200ml per 300 miles or so which I can live with. I will monitor it for a bit then change the oil to a high quality one for the LS400. I will look at 5w30 A3 and 10w30 A3 oils from Castrol.

Have a good weekend and thank you again.

Hi Adam,

Brilliant, thank you. I will schedule it in for a full change in a few weeks.

I bought it a few weeks ago via car and classic, reg K90 JHE. I can not find out how to link to the page advert which is still live here.

I would have another, but for needing an estate for my dog !

Hope you are having a good Sunday.

Best wishes

Dominic

For your car Castrol recommend Edge 5w40

Castrol also recommend 10w40 Magnatec

However Valvoline recommend all of these

http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/AllProducts.aspx?lang=eng&type=5e6ee2abf98d53ce0576a82bb25f2133&comp=ac18b7c2afa4058a&use=ae6cb2491493c496&km=ae6cb2491493c496

This is totally your call what you put into it but all that we know by what you have told us so far is that it has the wrong oil in right now

Good luck on making your choice

My personal choice for the MK1 would be a good quality 10w40 but don't let that sway you. Ask the garage what they would recommend or even consult the handbook too.

I have Triple QX 5w30 C3 in mine. But it is a VVTi

(EuroCarParts Happy Shopper range)

However it is OEM spec and has all the certificates to prove it

I've never had a problem

But I know that they have an offer on Castrol at the moment and it works out cheaper to buy Castrol at the moment

Thank you for putting link on, and yep that is the LS400 of mine.

Mileage wise, it now has about 92630 miles on it, so not much at all.

I have sent a text to my mechanic to book the car in for the full oil and filter change, noting the points you mention here.

May I ask, what are good 97 or later ls400s realistically going for at the moment?

Well for starters your car has the total wrong oil in it

The later VVTI require 5w30 C3 (according to Castrol) and the earlier ones require 5w40

For the earlier ones

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/AllProducts.aspx?lang=eng&type=5e6ee2abf98d53ce0576a82bb25f2133&comp=ac18b7c2afa4058a&use=ae6cb2491493c496&km=50659839b914134e

For the VVTi

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/AllProducts.aspx?lang=eng&type=801e3911ca1d39cb9f9f3c4a6109a967&comp=8e188643266bee6d&use=ae6cb2491493c496&km=50659839b914134e

No-where does it say to use 5w30 A1 for either engine

Going by Castrol and Valvoline I think a full oil change is in order

According to the hand book for the early in this case a 1994 non VVTI LS400 the type of oil recommended by Lexus is as described in the picture below.

post-12144-0-60740100-1391351261_thumb.j

Looks a really nice car, much prefer original wheels tho' and someone's put reversing sensors in the bumper ..... but looks a nice regular well looked after car. Well done, :hehe:

Could last you for ever and probably will never be worth less than whatever you paid if you keep it looking that good !

Malc

• Like 1

Thank you for all the pointers. I am sure it is just the slightly wrong oil in there. It is booked in end of the month for a full change.

So tempted to give up my W124 estate and replace it with a later LS400, if only the dog would be happy with the back seat haha

Hi Mike,

I will have a look into it. I have a large Bernese Mountain dog and a little boy, but here is to trying! :)

I have two Border Collies one who is Blind & Deaf (since birth) They do get on well together most of the time but to ensure they have their own space I make sure the center armrest is down and Ella (blind & deaf one) who does have security issues is very happy with it. You can get a generic rear seat cover which protects the leather far better than blankets especially if they have an accident like travel sickness, easier to clean up and no leakage through to the leather. Mike

That back seat cover sounds like it would be good for grandchildren as well .Would then just need some back of front seat protection ,they like to wipe there muddy shoes after they have scraped them on the lower door trims just for good measure.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links