Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hopeful New Owner With A Few Questions...

Go I've been offered my Grandfathers 2002 Gs300 for a bargain £600. It's got about 90000 miles and it's in pretty good condition.

It'll be a replacement for my 98 saab 93 turbo.

Just wondering if there any known issues with the cars before I commit to it?

On a motorway run what mpg can I expect to achieve if I plonk the cruise control on and sit at 70?

How easy is the stereo to change for an aftermarket unit? I work with electronics so I'm fine with coping writes if needs be.

I know it has a noisy drivers door when I'm on the motorway but can't find any other problems.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm keen to make sure I make the right desision.

Thanks Melv

Welcome to the club Craig

I have just done a trip to Boston lincs from chesterfield in mine and averaged 34mpg for the trip.

There are guides on the web for changing stereo unless it's the navigator model, then you can only add an aux input. Again guide is on club Lexus

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/269156-how-to-build-and-hardwire-an-auxillary-input-to-oem-stereo.html.

The wind noise due to worn door seals can be fixed cheaply following my guide on here.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/86572-rubber-door-seal-rejuvenationall-models/

• 2 weeks later...

£600 seems a reasonably good price. But at that mileage you'll be needing a cam-belt very shortly. No idea of cost but someone else will be along to tell you. I had a 300 before I chopped it in for a 430 (I'm a V8 nut), but had the 430 not been available then I would have happily kept the straight six. A great car. By the way, whats wrong with the stock hi fi ? i had stock in the 300 and have it in my 430. Both were/are fine, very good actually. Maybe there's a fault.

If it needs cambelt it should cost £295 tops at Lexus dealers under fixed price repairs although that is without tensioner which I think is about £40 ?

At just £600.00 I'd snap it up, that's around a third of the going rate for a 2002 model. Throw in another £300.00 for the cam belt assuming it's not already been done and you're still up on the deal.

Post some pictures up.

• 2 weeks later...

No real issues other than normal wear and tear. Fuel consumption at steady 70 probably around high 20s.

you should sneak into the low 30s, maybe 35mpg. I used to average around 32mpg on my old GS300 and 27mpg on the GS430 with a mix of driving motorway and city.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links