Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300H On Fifth Gear - Discovery Channel Last Night

Did anyone else see the review on Fifth Gear of the IS300h on Discovery Channel, 8pm last night? I'm sure it will be repeated through this week.

It was one of their weekly car tests, using the whole team at Millbrook. Overall pretty positive, they liked the styling and design, were impressed by the ride and handling and even thought the ASC did a good job of disguising the CVT.

on the down side, they said they were reviewing a Premier model, though it was clearly the F-Sport version. And they compared it a BMW 3 series, but mixed and matched the stats to show that the BMW was better, even though they were comparing different stats from different models.

Also, Car magazine are long term testing a white IS300h F-Sport for the next few months, first review was in this months mag. Again he appears to like it overall, but is already complaining about the whine and the fact he is only getting 35mpg on his motorway commute of 100miles into London. I guess he must drive like a maniac, as I was getting high 40's/50's in my demo!

Sometimes I wonder if motoring journalists are afraid that they would lose face for giving a Lexus a favourable review.

Not sure if there are any motoring journalist left as all these so called car programmes are comedy productions, Top Gear is a farce now.

Top Gear is brilliant, it's worth the licence fee alone. It's not been a serious show for a decade though. Fifth Gear I can watch if it is on but I don't go out my way for it. If I want a serious review I tend to head for the mags, but there are a few on youtube from the likes of Carbuyer and Autoexpress.

• Like 1

All the car enthusiasts know lexus is a great brand that produce quality cars. There is certainly an 'arm chair' image they are trying to shake but other than that they are very well received.

I don't recall a Jap vs VAG comparison a Jap car has won. MPS V's GTI, ISF V's M3, C63 etc

The thing is, they drive them for a day and don't EVER consider durability, reliability, running costs etc Jap cars always win overall when everything is considered compared to VAG imo.

Stu

Just watched the 5th gear show, and overall I thought it was reasonably fair...i.e. Can seem over styled to some people, Interior and comfort/luxury/smooth ride better than a 3 series, handling/engagement in a 3 series slightly better....the simple facts and figures too compared to the 320d ED which at the end of the day is economy benchmark in the sector (not Co2 - that's where the Lexus is slightly better IF you get the SE/company car tax rules do help it).

The reliability thing only comes into play, usually, after 3 years or so of ownership - and as stated they don't have to live with it.

They never mentioned equipment levels though, where the Lexus would have trounced all of the German cars (but then so would a Mondeo TitX, or a Honda Accord).

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want, and if company car tax rules mean it makes sense to buy the Lexus, then people will - to save cash. On the other hand, there are loads of disgruntled ex-German car drivers that want something different - and the Lexus is the obvious choice. And finally, repeat Lexus customers, who won't consider a german alternative as they are everywhere and as exclusive as a potato in Asda.

Silver Arrow - I haven't seen the show yet but can't disagree with any of your points. I'm just about to take delivery of my third Lexus and neither of the other two (both IS 250's) ever let me down in over 150,000 miles and I averaged 31mpg over an 8-year period. I consider this to be excellent and I have to admit I often feel uncomfortably smug when I hear people telling me about how their very expensive alternative make of car is "more trouble than it's worth".

I've always considered reliability to be the single most important reason for buying a car. Having the most beautiful, or fastest motor in the world means nothing if it won't start or breaks down! :)

I have looked at the German alternatives, plus Jaguar, but when you compare the models on a like for like basis, the cost of all the extras which are standard fit in Lexus have always pushed the other makes above the cost of the Lexus. I was really excited when the IS300h was launched last summer as the improved fuel economy was the only thing I felt could have improved my IS 250. The test drive convinced me then it just came to the price - ouch!

I was very surprised and disappointed to be told that sat nav was a £2,000 extra on all but the Premier model. I couldn't justify this so waited and low and behold Lexus, (whom I suspect got a lot of stick from customers about this), then offered it as a free upgrade for a limited period on the SE and Luxury models. The deal ends on the 31st of March so be quick if you want to grab one. This convinced me and I placed my order.

Robert

• Like 1

I've had an F Sport since Wednesday and on first 350 miles, mixed town driving and 180 miles of motorway, I'm averaging 43 MPG to date. Seeing as I've 'traded down' from a Jag XF 4.2 this is a fantastic result for me, of course. The guy who says he got just 35 must have been trouncing it in sport mode. So far I'm delighted with the car. Having owned three XJs before the XF I can say that this Lexus bears comparison to the more pricey Jags in everything, plus is much cheaper to run and to tax. Then 'whine' issue is in the ear of the beholder. I find the engine noise ( when there is any at all to bother you ) very pleasant.

Silver Arrow - I haven't seen the show yet but can't disagree with any of your points. I'm just about to take delivery of my third Lexus and neither of the other two (both IS 250's) ever let me down in over 150,000 miles and I averaged 31mpg over an 8-year period. I consider this to be excellent and I have to admit I often feel uncomfortably smug when I hear people telling me about how their very expensive alternative make of car is "more trouble than it's worth".

I've always considered reliability to be the single most important reason for buying a car. Having the most beautiful, or fastest motor in the world means nothing if it won't start or breaks down! :)

I have looked at the German alternatives, plus Jaguar, but when you compare the models on a like for like basis, the cost of all the extras which are standard fit in Lexus have always pushed the other makes above the cost of the Lexus. I was really excited when the IS300h was launched last summer as the improved fuel economy was the only thing I felt could have improved my IS 250. The test drive convinced me then it just came to the price - ouch!

I was very surprised and disappointed to be told that sat nav was a £2,000 extra on all but the Premier model. I couldn't justify this so waited and low and behold Lexus, (whom I suspect got a lot of stick from customers about this), then offered it as a free upgrade for a limited period on the SE and Luxury models. The deal ends on the 31st of March so be quick if you want to grab one. This convinced me and I placed my order.

Robert

There is a trick to these options though. Just keep pestering the dealer, eventually theyll give in and give you a discount or throw it in for free. On my RX450h, I got a £3.8k discount with Mark Levinson thrown in and the rubber cargo mat. It took about 3 weeks of negotiations but its worth it in the end and this was also in the first year of the facelifted RX production.

To be fair to Lexus, the Germans also charge ridiculous prices for sat nav too :/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links