Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Teaser Pic Of My Rear Armrest Refinished In Genuine Carbon Fibre!

Hey Guys,

So the chap that I sent my nasty plastic rear armrest to for refinishing has sent me a teaser picture! ;)

980a4ef72c24dfb25bbb3b81c3e83c5d_zps2276

I think it looks spot on from what I can see. Very pleased! :)

He's also looking into offering a similar thing for anyone wanting the silver carbon. Will be using my door switch covers to see how close he can match it for you lot.

I'm changing out all of my silver carbon to the dark stuff (when I can afford the rest! Lol), hence the reason I got the armrest done like this.

For info, cost is around £150, including postage and packaging.

The process sees a real layer of carbon applied over the top of the cheap and nasty OEM plastic. This is then smoothed out and shaped to follow the contours of the armrest, and it's then sent out to a bodyshop for laquering.

I think this has to be one of my best value for money mods so far. :)

Hated the OEM armrest in the back with a passion. It shows marks and scratches so easily! :(

Don't know what Lexus were thinking when they decided to use it to be honest! ;)

Much happier with how it's looking now though! :)

Will add some more pictures when I get it back.

Cheers.

Peter

Lol, told you I would be a bad influence on you Andy! ;)

Removal is very straightforward mate. The whole seat base comes out very easily. You then remove the armrest by unclipping it. I'll do a short walk through guide when I re-install mine.

Good news is you can re-install the rest of the rear seats without the armrest, and still use them if needed. :)

To put the cost in context, the same product works out at $900 odd from L Tuned parts!

I really think this is a great mod for a very reasonable cost.

Let me know if you want his email address chap. ;)

Lol, told you I would be a bad influence on you Andy! ;)

Removal is very straightforward mate. The whole seat base comes out very easily. You then remove the armrest by unclipping it. I'll do a short walk through guide when I re-install mine.

Good news is you can re-install the rest of the rear seats without the armrest, and still use them if needed. :)

To put the cost in context, the same product works out at $900 odd from L Tuned parts!

I really think this is a great mod for a very reasonable cost.

Let me know if you want his email address chap. ;)

The email address would be great...as soon as I saw that your plastic arm rest was missing I knew I would want one done.

Thanks guys. :)

Paul certainly knows how to work some magic with carbon fibre! ;)

I'll PM you his email address Andy.

Are you going the same route as me with re-finishing the silver carbon bits, or would you want it done in the silver?

Only ask as Paul will need my door switch covers to try and find a close match to the stock silver finish.

Not sure when I can afford to get those done at the moment! :(

My bank manager (aka the wife!) has cut off my credit! Lol. I think that won't be the only thing cut off if I spend anymore money on my car for a bit! ;)

Looks awesome, i am also tempted to get this done reason being the plastic centre on mine is all scratched.

I will wait for you to put a "how to" remove the centre seat plastic bit.

Cheers guys. :)

Paul is hopefully sending this out to me on Thursday first class.

If I'm lucky, might arrive by Friday. If so, know what i'll be doing this weekend! Lol. ;)

I'll also post up a 'how-to' and some pictures to help others see what's involved. It really is a DIY job for even the most basic mechanics.

Glad everyone likes it though. Paul is a top man when it comes to all things carbon! Can't wait to get the door switch covers and centre console done to match. Should look awesome if this is anything to go by! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the silver carbon Paul has found to match the OEM stuff.

f39684d38a527d120a2031f954a0e5ee_zps2a6c

Bear in mind this is unfinished etc, but the weave/pick matches really well.

The OEM Lexus stuff has yellowed a lot in terms of the lacquer. Paul tells me this is normal for early composite work.

Guess you could have the OEM stuff re-finished if you wanted a closer match? Otherwise the rear armrest will be clearer/whiter than the door switches/centre console.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers David. :)

Just waiting on the door switch surrounds at the moment.

Once I get those back and installed, just leaves the centre console to finish things off nicely. :)

Need to put some new pictures up soon.

Got a few new bits installed recently. :)

Cheers David. :)

Just waiting on the door switch surrounds at the moment.

Once I get those back and installed, just leaves the centre console to finish things off nicely. :)

Need to put some new pictures up soon.

Got a few new bits installed recently. :)

Ahh cool ,get that camera out lol.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links