Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The IS200/Altezza DRIFT Car........

Monster-Mat

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep 200hp N/A................

and i will be looking at disabling the vvt-i ..

Interesting project Mat(e). :whistling:

But why do you plan to disable the VVTi on a N/A car?? :unsure:

Shouldn't it help to get power??

(Another thing on TC or SC ed cars... :) )

Mike, I think its much easier to work out a motor-management without VVTi. VVTi is not easy to control.  :geek:

Will I have another 100 points?  :D

No!

You won a fridge! :crybaby:

:P

Not sure on a N/A car, if it's really that hard to control.

On TCd cars yes, but in this case.... :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

a few more pics................

altezza_and_race_car_in_workshop.sized.jpg

Altezza and Race car at home..............

modified_rear_of_race_car_1.sized.jpg

Modified rear end of car, all part of the weight reduction process

modified_boot_floor.sized.jpg

Modified Boot Floor from Above, Floor now removed and covered with Aluminium

modified_rear_of_race_car_2.sized.jpg

Modified Boot Floor from Below, New exhaust, and few bits still need doing

new_mirrors.sized.jpg

TRIAL Fit of silly little wing mirrors

nos_1.sized.jpg

:whistling:

looking good there fella! cant wait to see how this goes. will it just be adiquate to attach a plate over the top of hte wheel well. Or will you have to beef it up with some aditional cross members?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i sorted the info i needed on the LSD, thank u everyone that helped in some minute way.

next on the planning stage is the complete removal of the ABS and braking system, to be replaced with a simplified braided line and twin master cylinder set up, incorporating brake bias.

also on the cars for planning is the fuel system, incorporating fuel cell,fuel swirl pot lots of pipework and a return .......2 fuel pumps blah blah blah.

just tracking down all this infomation and then the actual removal of OEM parts will begin in hast.

suspension and exhaust, isnt yet sorted due to Supply problems :huh:

Mat

Looking good!! I'm curious as to how it went from being a race car to a Drift car? What were the reasons for this or I guess just a change of mind....and do you think having a change from wanting more grip to more slip changed any decisions in parts .......which leads me to to my next question...... What was the outcome of the diff?

Sorry for all the q's but I'm genuinely interested!

Oliver

The car has been built as a race car to BRDC, BARC and BRSCC saloon car standerds, i also closely followed the build spec for the JTC/Altezza Cup cars.

all the major safety components in the car meet FIA standreds, the seat, harness, fire supresent system, electrical cut off, the roll cage however meets JTC regulations

meaning the car will always be compatible for saloon car racing, there are plans in progress to enter the car into The Nurburgring 24H, but this is a while off.

the main problem is currently there is no Major series that the car can be entered in, for differing reasons, number of cylinders, Homologation rulings etc etc.

so to keep my foot in and keep the car active , this is a logical pastime for the car.

Chassis wise there are no differences, infact the chassi is possibly over engineerd for drifting, the only major differences are suspension set up.

the initial phase of the build concentrated on the major things.stripping and basic build.

now the more intricate details need finalising........Fuel sytem and a tad more HP.

the ABS system was fine for Track racing, however even for track racing it is best to remove the ABS as it can become a hinderance, especially with the Brake assist fitted..

Questions are good........................ :driving:

.ah the diff info, well it seems all European cars use the same finned diff casing, which internally is the same as the normal non-finned diff whch is fitted to the altezza and IS300

the altezza is also fitted with the same drive shafts as the IS300, the AS200 in Japan uses the is200 finned diff

so basically all diff cases are the same, only difference being finned or non-finned, the difference is whether they are open diff, LSD and the final drive ratio.

the side shafts differ depending on which car it is also????

all good fun, the end result was just to swap complete rear subframes, meaning i have given the Altezza the Torsen® diff, while i have the open diff for the Race car untill i work out which LSD 2 way diff i want.....

TRD

CUSCO

ATS

KAAZ

or even a welded diff..............

.ah the diff info, well it seems all European cars use the same finned diff casing, which internally is the same as the normal non-finned diff whch is fitted to the altezza and IS300

the altezza is also fitted with the same drive shafts as the IS300, the AS200 in Japan uses the is200 finned diff

so basically all diff cases are the same, only difference being finned or non-finned, the difference is whether they are open diff, LSD and the final drive ratio.

the side shafts differ depending on which car it is also????

all good fun, the end result was just to swap complete rear subframes, meaning i have given the Altezza the Torsen® diff, while i have the open diff for the Race car untill i work out which LSD 2 way diff i want.....

TRD

CUSCO

ATS

KAAZ

or even a welded diff..............

right.............. you lost me after diff :blink:

I think I understand.......... diff housing (bascically) same for all models of altezza/IS only the internals i.e. open or lsd and resultant shafts are different

If you can source diffs quite readily then I would suggest a welded diff for drifting purely for learning/gaining more experience unless you have the funds to get an aftermarket one!! B)

I think the torsen ones aren't too hot for drifting because of the great grip they produce? or is that cack?

I am very eager to find out which diff would suit the altezza for drifting!!

Thanks again Mat keep us tuned!

a welded differential, is not really the best option, but its an option people do use.

i am currently looking at the ATS and CUSCO units, ATS being the better of the 2.

your best looking for 1.5 or 2 way re-buildable differential units.

the problem with Torsen differentials during drifting is there design.

if a wheel leaves contact with the track, the differential can "Unwind" which can shatter the gearing inside, a Torsen Diff works on the principle that more torque is directed to the wheel with the most traction.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links