Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Old Bloke New To Lexus

JIM PIKE

Evening All

Been looking through this great forum a couple of weeks now, 3 weeks into ownership of a 98 LS400.

All I can say is why didn;t I get one before, what a car!!.

It's Dark Green in good condition with high milage (155,000) but still smooth and quiet,with just a couple of niggles.

My Mechanic friend looked it over and says it has a small amount of play on the passenger side lower ball joint, so after reading this forum and researching loads have decided not to go for Firstline parts. the other choices are Blueprint or ordering from Amayama which looks like being the best option as the cost will be similar to buying Blueprint from Camskill ( which is the best price I can find )..

The part numbers as far as I can tell are

RH side 43330-59045

LH side 43340-59045

castle nuts 2 off 90171-16007

Bolts 4 off 90105-12141

These were sourced from Toyodiy and seem to be accepted through Amayama system so hope I get the right bits when I order this week.

Sorry about the long Hello

Jim

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

At a mere 155,000 miles your engine is now considered run in :)

I purchased my LBJs from Lexus and after a bit of haggling got the pair for £100.00 and these include the castle nuts, reused the original fixing bolts.

I noticed that the Blueprint ones for mine were more expensive than OEM Lexus!

Also be aware your parts from Amayama may be subject to customs charges and VAT plus carrier "processing charges"

There is a good resource website albeit mostly for the older models but some information on later ones.

www.lexls.com.

Welcome from another old bloke on his first LS400. :)

Seems like we're treading similar paths with the niggles. I've got the inevitable bonnet struts and washer bottle warning sensor next on the to-do list.

Bonnet struts, electric aerial and, just discovered, drivers electric seat....or maybe all, haven't checked them all yet...are only faults I have on my old '96 barge....nothing disastrous, gotta love the quality of these cars....

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

At a mere 155,000 miles your engine is now considered run in :)

I purchased my LBJs from Lexus and after a bit of haggling got the pair for £100.00 and these include the castle nuts, reused the original fixing bolts.

I noticed that the Blueprint ones for mine were more expensive than OEM Lexus!

Also be aware your parts from Amayama may be subject to customs charges and VAT plus carrier "processing charges"

There is a good resource website albeit mostly for the older models but some information on later ones.

www.lexls.com.

Steve 2006

I have been told that 155,000 is nothing to the LS400

Thanks for the info, I may look for my nearest dealer and haggle, I was aware of import duties etc thanks to reading on this forum also where I learn't about Amayama.

Welcome from another old bloke on his first LS400. :)

Seems like we're treading similar paths with the niggles. I've got the inevitable bonnet struts and washer bottle warning sensor next on the to-do list.

Bonnet struts, electric aerial and, just discovered, drivers electric seat....or maybe all, haven't checked them all yet...are only faults I have on my old '96 barge....nothing disastrous, gotta love the quality of these cars....

Guys Don;t worry about bonnet struts you won;t need to open the bonnet

my niggles are steering feels slightly heavy (maybe just need to get used to it), seems to be ticking over low around 400-450rpm both of these have good tutorials on this site to maybe cure. last niggle front ciggie lighter don't work, but socket does for my Iphone charger.

GBneil

you just reminded me my ariel is foobar also motor works but nobody is home..

Welcome! They are great cars and I'm hoping to get my second one soon. Enjoy yours.

Great stuff, I know my next car will be a LEXUS not sure what model yet though, no immediate plans as yet

Cheers Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All

Been looking through this great forum a couple of weeks now, 3 weeks into ownership of a 98 LS400.

All I can say is why didn;t I get one before, what a car!!.

It's Dark Green in good condition with high milage (155,000) but still smooth and quiet,with just a couple of niggles.

My Mechanic friend looked it over and says it has a small amount of play on the passenger side lower ball joint, so after reading this forum and researching loads have decided not to go for Firstline parts. the other choices are Blueprint or ordering from Amayama which looks like being the best option as the cost will be similar to buying Blueprint from Camskill ( which is the best price I can find )..

The part numbers as far as I can tell are

RH side 43330-59045

LH side 43340-59045

castle nuts 2 off 90171-16007

Bolts 4 off 90105-12141

These were sourced from Toyodiy and seem to be accepted through Amayama system so hope I get the right bits when I order this week.

Sorry about the long Hello

Jim

Welcome Jim lad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi OBNTW

I am also OBNTL - I have bought an RX300 and it is my 1st Lexus

No doubt I will bore everyone with stupid questions that have been asked lots of times before

anyway enjoy you Lexus

Another old bloke, had mine 9 years, just got back from 1140 mile round trip to France.

Problem when back home,had to add a pint to screenwasher.

Iv'e got over it now.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links