Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 4 year old 220d with 95000 on the clock. I noticed over the last week that the radiator fan was starting to kick in at traffic lights. I thought this to be unusual so I had a look under the bonnet at the weekend. There was some evidence of coolant spraying out in the engine compartment as I could see white/pinky deposits inside the engine bay.

I took the car to my local Lexus dealer, who were helpful and able to look at it straight away. They unfortunately diagnosed a failed head gasket and quoted £2000 for repair with 1-2 weeks off the road. They did indicate that they could contact Lexus for a claim under out of warranty good will repair costs. They indicated that Lexus had in similar circumstances agreed to meet the cost of repair for other owners. The issue is that the first 7 services were carried out at main Lexus dealers. The two most recent ones were done at non Lexus garages. I have the bill for the most recent service. This clearly indicates that 5W30 oil was used. (Lexus garages use 0W30 oil but the Owners manual recommends 5W30). The previous service was carried out by a non Lexus garage, which has now been demolished. The previous owner does not have the bill for the service.

The critical aspect here appears to be that had the car had all services carried out at Lexus dealers, the cost would more than likely have been met by Lexus UK, albeit under good will rather than any legal duty. Given that I cannot evidence correct oil use by one garage, Lexus may well say that due care and attention was not given to the car and they cannot help.

I would appreciate any thoughts on my position, any similar experiences, any known issues with 10 plate 220d's in relation to head gaskets, or any thoughts generally on repair costs and good reliable and reasonable independent garages in the East Midlands. It is likely that I will go with the main dealer, but I want to know what my options are.

Take a read here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/70826-lexus-is220-head-gaskett-gone/?hl=%20head%20%20gasket

and here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/70967-is220d-head-gasket-gone/

I had a 220d some time back and 2 things jump out at me.

Firstly, A Lexus dealer saying £2000 to do that? I'd rip the hand off offering me that and quick. Mine was £4600 at the end.Be amazed if you don't need a new head, and the engine has to come out to do it. It ain't cheap!!

Secondly, I was told the engines from 09 on were modified to stop the Head Gasket issue. Yours at 2010 is very concerning for all diesel 220/200 drivers.

I had the Head gasket go on my 07 car but I had 6 stamps all from Lexus. I was fortunate in that Lexus stumped up the cost. You have to pursue this course of action ie, you have a car with a well documented design fault and you are inside the 7yr and 110,000 miles extended warranty and you would expect Lexus to sort this out.

Best of luck to you.

Lexus have a warranty, I am not sure what applies to your car but based on what is said you fall inside the 110k bracket, if Lexus are not playing ball see the small claims court as your car as of now is an expensive paperweight.

Write a letter to you local dealer, outline all the stamps/history and non lexus stamps. Tell them about the known design fault and that you fall inside the warranty period (if confirmed as above), if they don't play ball see a solicitor.

I am pretty sure most dealers now have thrown out this 'must be serviced at a xxx dealer' thing, as long as the car has had reputable maintenance it should not fail.

TP is correct....quick overview here

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35704/watchdog-keeping-your-warranty-valid

It does say about full documentation which is one of your issues.

I say take the lead...put it to them in a simple a simple letter, attach copies of your documentation even with a gap....it's up to them to prove you wrong....and while I'm definitely no mechanical expert...would the indie garage you used really have got it that catastrophically wrong to be the catalyst for head gasket failure???..?It's doubtful.

This is a big painful bill and worth the effort to get into discussions at dealer and national level.

Good luck.

V66

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Thank you all for your views. The European block exemption rules is an interesting legal precedent to know about. the issue for me is to verify that I have taken reasonable and due care of the car, and that the garages carrying out the service used original parts and undertook the service as per manufacturer recommendations.

I am keen to find some evidence from Lexus accepting a responsibility for up to 110000 miles. I am satisfied that there are members in this forum who would be able to attest to the head gasket issue being a known and accepted fault in this car. It seems to me that there are several steps in my position. The first of these is that there is a known and accepted manufacturer issue with the head gasket in this car. This aside, Lexus can still expect me to take reasonable care of the car. i believe that through using garages other than main dealers, I can still evidence "reasonable care" as (certainly one service bill) shows the use of appropriate procedures and care of the car.

I have sent an initial email to my local dealer with a copy of the service receipt I do have. I have also advised them of the position in relation to the "demolished" garage. I may yet be able to locate this receipt to clearly evidence the use of recommended materials. I have also outlined my feelings at this point in terms of disappointment and disillusionment given my perception of reliability and seeing Lexus as a premium brand. I plan to see what the response is from Lexus before I consider my next step. I certainly will not rule out legal options. The bottom line for me is that such a major fault as this is not something to be expected from a premium brand four year old car, and I as a consumer have a reasonable expectation to expect the product I bought to perform better.

I have also outlined my feelings at this point in terms of disappointment and disillusionment given my perception of reliability and seeing Lexus as a premium brand. I plan to see what the response is from Lexus before I consider my next step. I certainly will not rule out legal options. The bottom line for me is that such a major fault as this is not something to be expected from a premium brand four year old car, and I as a consumer have a reasonable expectation to expect the product I bought to perform better.

I'd say that's a good position to start from.

It a pity that Ormi's pictures have vanished from his comments about the Head Gasket. They clearly showed how the head 'shuffles' and then blows the gasket. A national survey of customers who had a head go would make alarming reading. No matter what they may say about care of the car and servicing....that in itself does not guarantee the car to not have problems. Mine had 6 stamps all at Lexus dealers and the head still went.

Keep us posted with your progress.

I am keen to find some evidence from Lexus accepting a responsibility for up to 110000 miles. I am satisfied that there are members in this forum who would be able to attest to the head gasket issue being a known and accepted fault in this car. It seems to me that there are several steps in my position. The first of these is that there is a known and accepted manufacturer issue with the head gasket in this car. This aside, Lexus can still expect me to take reasonable care of the car. i believe that through using garages other than main dealers, I can still evidence "reasonable care" as (certainly one service bill) shows the use of appropriate procedures and care of the car.

If you search through the IS forum you will find examples of Lexus providing an extended warranty for the IS220d, up to 180,000 km in both the UK and across Europe. As this is an extended warranty Lexus can specific their own terms so insist on full Lexus service history. If you fail to meet the criteria then your only recourse is via the courts.

Just for future reference....if gets to details.

Might be worth trying to find out if the garage business that closed down (missing receipt ) was a member of any trade body....code of practise....DOT MOT registered etc....shows likely hood of standard of work.....reputable etc.

V66

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Lexus will use and say anything not to do it. I badgered Cambridge non stop but they didn't give a f*ck as I had 1 stamp missing. Even though it was from previous owners and I only had the car 6 weeks. 07 plate. Luckily I had rac warranty and was done by them. I met all their criteria but they don't want to pay out. I wished I never got my lexus.

Egr valve went 6 weeks later. Sorted again by rac.

Thank you all for your views, although the reason I started this topic was to get positive ideas, thoughts and perhaps strategies about a way forward as opposed to disparaging comments about Lexus diesel car buyers.

Good news for the weekend. My local dealer has received the go ahead from Lexus for the work to be carried out at their cost.
It will mean the car being off the road for a week and me having to make alternative transport arrangements. I am happy that Lexus have agreed to accept responsibility and that they have done so quickly.
I remain proud of owning a Lexus as it does what I need from a car in many ways. I also feel less part of the herd in a Lexus as I might do if I drove a BMW or an Audi. From what I see, I am also convinced that Lexus owners are more considerate drivers than others.
All in all, I expect that reading this posting, you all share some of these thoughts about your Lexus.
Thank you again for your thoughts and contributions to my posting.
I will update as and when the work is done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I got the car back earlier this week. Problem resolved and so far, all is well.

Had the use of a hire car for the duration, and whilst the hire company were very helpful and picked me up and dropped me off, the Ford I had was no comparison in terms of feel and build quality to my Lexus. The drive to and from work is much more enjoyable as well as comfortable. Very pleased to have my car back.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links