Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Removing Your Fuel Injectors-Diesel The Easy Cheap Way.

I recently posted with reference to removing the diesel injectors from my IS220d.

It seems that very few people attempt this job due to the apparent fact that they are almost impossible to get out.

I even spoke to Lexus who charge a fortune to remove and the mobile guys charge in excess of £300 to come out and remove for you.

Anyway, despite all the scare mongering I decided to try the job myself.

I had a friend make a removal tool which is basically a slide hummer with means to attach to the Lexus injectors.

After removing the few fuel pipes that connect to the injectors i fitted the slide hummer and had all four injectors out within minutes with minimal force or effort.

They are tight but the right force in the right place make easy work of them.

The seals at the bottom needed a long flat ended screw driver. The flat end needs to taper so that it's slightly bigger than the 8.5mm hole which is the inner diameter of the seal. A few light taps down with a hammer, then attach some mole grips to the side of the screw driver and apply some force in a rotational manner as if tightening a screw. The washers come unstuck easily. You can shine a torch down and see the washer now rotating freely at the bottom.

I then used a small hook type toll to lift the seal up and out.

Just be careful not to knock the oily dirt into the hole . Either suck out with a small pipe on a Hoover or carefully use some rag.

Anyway, my point being that removing the diesel injectors was very easy and if others should want to do the job I could loan out my tool although it would need collecting or else get more made up.

Attached Picture shows the slide hammer tool attached to injector pre-removal and the seals, the black one is the one that was leaking badly and the silver one is how they look new.

Carl

post-38756-0-50007500-1408795473_thumb.j

post-38756-0-31261200-1408797117_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks Normski, I like to think te engineer in me comes in usefull every now and again. As said on he thread, if anyone else needs to do the same job then the toll is available.

Carl

• 1 month later...

hi i was just woundering if you could help me get my hands on a injector removal tool. for my lexus is220. hope to here from you soon. thanks

To be honest you will struggle to find one as I only saw one company online that sold one and it's was several hundreds of pounds so clearly not viable unless you are a garage mechanic. Even Lexus themselves don't have one.

I had mine made up by a friend and as described works very well.

However, when I pulled my injectors out I first took the tops off the injectors which in hind sight was a mistake as it can mess up the injectors.

The tool could be modified I guess to have more clearance or else a new revised tool made.

Either way, it's a heavy piece so would be expensive to post although im willing to do that at your cost and obviously you post it back when your done.

Carl

thanks for the quick reply. is it possible for you to send me a close up picture of the tool and i might be able to a local fabricators to get on made up. if it not possible to get my hands on yours mate. and as far calibrating go why do you afto calibrate them? Thanks

thanks for the quick reply. is it possible for you to send me a close up picture of your tool and i might be able to go to a local fabricators to get on made up. if it not possible to get my hands on yours mate. and as far calibrating go why do you afto calibrate them? Thanks

did you get yours calibrated??

I'm not entirely sure why they need calibrating as I was LED to believe this is only required when you fit new injectors as each injector has a unique number which is calibrated to your car.

It may have been because I removed the tops of the injectors on mine which upsets things although I was told by removing the tops I would need new ones. This clearly wasn't the case as three out of the four of mine went back in and worked fine. The fourth had failed but that might been part of the fault in the first place

I have a feeling if you can remove the injectors in one piece without taking the tops off which would be fine with a bit of tool tweaking, then all would be ok when refitted. Worse scenario, if your car runs rough like a misfire then you know you may need the re calibration.

Apparently the injector fitted to the is220 cannot be rebuilt, refurbished, only replaced if faulty. You can find secondhand ones for about £150 and a new one cost £550.

I will try to take so e pictures tomorrow evening for you.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi David, how did you manage to get the last one out. About to embark on this dreaded task. Hoping it will go easy enough but preparing for the worst. Cheers.

@Carl911 any chance you have photos of the tool how it looks where it connects to the injectors please?

• 1 year later...

Carl911, I was wondering could I please hire your special tool for removing injectors. Got a Rav4 with the same type of injectors and I am stuck getting my last one out. If you could contact me on 07725753313, would be much appreciated. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links