Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Grinding/clicking On Full Lock Is 220D

Guys,

Havent had my 2009 IS 220D long but noticed that on full lock both ways I now have a clicking/grinding noise when going forwards or backwards at slow speeds.

I have a warranty so going to go on that route to get it done, I was thinking CV joint, but not sure why that would do it both ways.

Could that mean its steering?

I have noticed recently too that sometimes when I go on one lock and then quickly change to the other it doesnt seem to react very quickly, for example when manouvering or paring. There also seems to be a dead spot where it sort of stops reacting so wondered if that could be to do with it too or if thats just how the steering is.

Can anyone comment please?

Thanks

Probably the front tyres sliding rather than rotating. It's common on the second generation IS's, including the IS-F and occurs in cold or wet weather particularly when the car on full lock scrubs the tyres instead of rotating the front (non driven) wheels. Just caused by the tyres lack of grip in certain conditions on full lock, whether going forwards or in reverse.

First experienced it on my brand new 2005/2006 IS250 SE-L and was concerned until I realised what it was.

No, because the tread is low, they apparently "slip" or "judder" on some surfaces which inside the car sounds like knocking and grinding.. so a new set of front boots and hopefully all will be well.

This is due to compromises in the steering geometry. At large lock angles (near full lock) the inside wheel must follow a considerably tighter radius than the ouitside wheel. This is achieved through the use of Ackerman geometry. But car manufacturers don't use true Ackerman - they allow some slip which you are not supposed to feel normally. Actually IS steering takes things a little bit too far so that you get to feel this slip effect at low speeds on some surfaces. Tyre wear does affect it too, but not much, and you will likely still feel the effect on some surfaces with new tyres.

It's all described quite nicely here:

http://www.motor.org.uk/documentlibrary/Sep%2009/TT%20_%20Sept%2009.pdf

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links