Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rx300 Mk1 Vs Mk2

Hello all :)

I am in the market for RX300. Been looking around interenet forums and there seems to be very little information regarding the differences between MK1 and MK2.

My budget will allow me to buy a very nice example MK1 or higher mileage MK2.

1. How much difference between the two in terms of performance, comfort? MK2 seems more modern on the inside and out. It also has lot more gadgets to play with..

2. I understand MK1 1998-2003 has 5 speed auto gearbox while MK2 was fitted 6 speed?

3. How the 2 compare in reliability department? Are they easy to work on? My only experience with 4x4 so far has been MItsubishi Pajero Exceed but this is completely different purpose veichle compared to RX300.

4. Some MK2 models were fitted air suspension. Are they haunted with the same problems as LS430 air suspension?

5. I am very impressed with whisper quiet ride of my LS430, will i miss out on RX?

6. What sound/stanav systems fitted on both? MK2 has the same ML as 430?

Im looking forward test driving both models over next week or so.. any advice what to look for would be much appreciated.

Mel

Hi there, I'm no expert as I have only just taken delivery of an RX 300 myself. Like you I did quite a bit of research first and test drove both the mk1 and mk2. In the end I went for a mk 2 as I preferred the styling and as you said the equipment list is quite impressive. As for how they drive, to me the mk 1 did have a better ride quality but the cars I tried had 16 and 17 inch wheels, whereas my mk 2 has 18 inch wheels. The mk 1 has a 4 speed auto and the mk 2 a 5 speed, btw. I looked a a couple of SE-L's with air suspension but the ride on those seemed quite harsh at slow speeds. Plus the cost of replacement struts and compressor made me play safe. Overall, I'm very pleased with myRX 300 SE.

Hi Mel

The series II is more refined compared to the series I, not to the LS standard but I think you would want a series II. The series II also has more power and a better transmission.

I'd skip air suspension given the choice due to reliability issues, however that probably means missing out on the ML stereo and just making do with the standard Pioneer system.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links