Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Spotted this car for sale at very reasonable price, and if you believe that those who pay for number plates are more likely to maintain their car then it may be worth a viewing if you want a LS400.

Good to see that its got a new MOT. Not many photo's unforutantely.

I've only got to replace my rear springs, rear wishbones, front upper wishbones, front Lower ball joints, y shape exhaust section and add two new Cats and I'm sure my car will pass the MOT when that date in August arrives. Oh, and I better put in the new plugs and ignition lead set to ensure it passes the emissions test as it took three hours to get it through last year.

How I hate reading that the Car passed but needed a new bulb!!

And... can you believe I go and buy a new set of alloys for the Car? This car has put a spell on me I'm convinced.

To the point of the thread title, my 1993 car has the thin crease along the wing front to rear. This car doesn't ?? Is it surely a later car?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110803295/the-best-car-i-have-driven.html

ps If anyone has a 93 and has had to order lower ball joints can they please tell me why they get advertised as 89-94 but on Amayana I find mention of 89-92 and 93 to 94.? Trying to find the right parts (ignoring all things Chinese) at a less than exhoribant price has seen me spend hours and hours and hours on the internet and order parts from America and Australia . Only got two parts so far. I could cry!

Definitely not a 1993, the headlights suggest it is a series III so October 1994 to October 1997 is the correct era for this one.

As you mention little detail,would like to know recorded mileage and some history.

If you PM me your VIN plate details I would be happy to look up the part numbers for all the bits you need.

Maybe the exhaust Y section will just benefit from a £30 weld fix ( like mine did ) and the need for new Cats will vanish too !!!!

And of course yours is a Mk2 and the advertised car is a Mk3 with the foglights in the main cluster and not separate as in your Mk2.

Malc

Thanks for advice I may just see if the welding option is possible, if there's enough meat on the plates. Tried new gaskets after a hell of a job getting things apart but didn't take long to start blowing again with just a filler added.

Thanks Steve, I'll send you my VIN. This is the Australians answer to my Q, about the lower ball joint (japanese mnfr) which just proves how difficult it is ordering parts-I thought I wanted 48068-50010 (92-94 Amayana) or 48620-50010 (89-92)

According to the 555 catalogue there is two different genuine numbers for the
lower ball joint, however they are both the same and one is just a revised
version or superseded part number. The genuine number that is most recent
is 43330-59016 for the right, and 43340-59016 for the left.

No wonder parts cost so much as the time spent trying to decipher what is what is a real headache.

In my experience it's not uncommon for part numbers to be superseded and for new part numbers to be allocated to what is essentially the same part.

I found this quite frequently with Mercedes part numbers when I had a Mercedes w126 S Class - yes, it is a pain but unfortunately something we have to live with.

On the exhaust leak, I had a slight blow on my exhaust and tried some exhaust paste filler which soon blew out. However, my MOT tester suggested trying Wynn's Instant Gasket Maker before resorting to welding, as this is flexible and does not blow out. I used this several months ago and it has stopped the leak completely. Might be worth a try before going down the welding route.

Thanks Colin, I think we tried liquid metal back in August. Not sure how easy or safe it is to weld and not damage something else (or set fire to the interior). Guess its how professional the welder is. Will give your suggestion a try I think, before I buy the parts, Amayana quote Y pipe as $229 pre carriage from Japan.

This part is also Veyron price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P4845-FEBI-FRONT-UPPER-TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-LEXUS-LS-UCF10-400-SAL-89-94-/231202834310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d4c34786

I picked up a McQuay Norris front LH for £104 delivered. Rock Auto have I run out of these parts I think, so still searching for RH quality part at a sensible price

I found this quite frequently with Mercedes part numbers when I had a Mercedes w126 S Class - yes, it is a pain but unfortunately something we have to live with.

oOo

ps Oh what a lovely Car that beast was. I had a SEL 500 V8 and will change my Avatar to remind me that the only problem I had was with the idle control valve. Used to sometime stick going round the Cow roundabout just before Elbeuf and the engine would cut out. Started straight away once stopped. Parts were so very cheap and easily sourced. Not as refined as the Lexus of course

OK, Stuart, I hope the Wynn's Gasket Maker works for you if you try it.

Yes, I had a 500SEL (1989) too and a 420SEL (1987) as well. Great cars and had both of them for several years. Sold the 420 to buy my first LS400, which as you say is more refined. Liked driving the LS400 so much I then sold the 500 and bought another LS400 to replace it!!

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-BLACK-RTV-SILICONE-INSTANT-GASKET-EASY-CAN-200ml-/261463521938?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce070ba92

perhaps with some heat wrap around each of the Flanges? Worth a try.

(Had a D reg 500SEC, and of course the S320 which I sold having bought the Lexus. Couldn't live anymore without a V8 - I'll get there with the Lexus.)

Yes, that's it.

I just used it to seal the joins on the flanges without using heat wrap or anything else and it has worked fine.

it dries to a rubbery type composition and seems to adhere well, so I would be inclined to use it as it is and run the sealant all round the join.

Maybe the exhaust Y section will just benefit from a £30 weld fix ( like mine did ) and the need for new Cats will vanish too !!!!

And of course yours is a Mk2 and the advertised car is a Mk3 with the foglights in the main cluster and not separate as in your Mk2.

Malc

Here's a test for you Malc, which model LS400 is this headlight off?

post-12144-0-49718300-1423568961_thumb.j

hahahahaha ......... probably from your Celsior with totally non UK style lamps !!!

I can only tell from the separate foglights which aren't present on the UK Mk3

Do tell !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links