Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I looked at my first RX 300 SE today for my wife as we need something bigger than her Yaris for the grandkids. It looked great in the ad - 2004, 80k miles and £6500.

However, it had a rusty N/S rear passenger door bottom, badly corroded rear wheel arch on N/S, looked pretty scabby underneath, plus had a limited service history which stopped in 2010. No cam belt change plus trans fluid was black/brown.

As these cars are thin on the ground up here I may have to travel a bit further than 50 miles to find one, but to be honest was a bit put off by rust issues. My LS 400 isn't like this at all, so are they all like that?

Pete

• Like 1

I'm off to look at another tomorrow - actually only 22 miles away. Autotrader is strange as I'd put in RX as search, but the one I'm going to look at is under RX 300 and didn't appear on previous searches. It's higher mileage (100k), a year newer with full history and £5995, but no belt change listed which is a negotiating point.

Pete

I would never want to put anyone off buying an RX if your heart is set on it BUT bit of a jump from a Yaris? If it's just for kids, a Yaris seats 5 just like an RX (but obviously less comfy).

If that's the only reason to change, it's probably more sensible (but dull) to go for a Ford Focus, for example, if you want a bit bigger. You'll get something newer that will cost you less in the long run.

I love my RX (no rust on mine, by the way, and haven't seen rust on many modern cars for ages) but I have it because I tow a caravan and need something hefty. Otherwise, I'd go smaller and more sensible.... (dull, I know :( ).

We don't do sensible - most of my cars are V8's. I sometimes have to use the Yaris, so I'd rather something bigger, and being used to an LS it kinda made sense.

Yaris is a 3 door, so it's awkward. No way would I consider anything really boring like a Focus or similar, and certainly not any VAG stuff with all their electrical probs. I didn't really like the Honda CRV, and the RAV 4 has problems, so Lexus seemed a good option. We tend to keep cars for a long time and mpg really isn't a big consideration.

Pete

That's either a badly repaired car or the Mk2 has issues (which I do not believe it has), I sold my Mk1 last week with 120K '03 and the bodywork was perfect, and I mean perfect......not a single trace of rust or bubbles, a few stone chips on the hood front but even those were just chips and no rust had started.

In fact it was in such nice condition with a history I bet my wife it would sell to the first person who came to see it.............guess what, I got a free lunch today! :D

Some of the early series IIs are now starting to have minor surface corrosion issues with the underside of the vehicle due to inadequate undersealing but I've never seen it bad enough to cause structural issues.

Never heard of bodywork issues, except for the bonnet, unless the drain holes at the bottom of the doors have been blocked up or due to accident damage. The bonnet will get stone chips which may rust of the metalwork becomes exposed.

I decided to purchase the one I looked at today. 2005 in metallic black, 100k on clock with full Lexus history - major service in 2014. The wheels need refurbed and the cambelt needs done, both of which they agreed to do, plus a full service, 3 months warranty and 6 months tax - £5700.

I felt this was a good price as the car was in superb condition in and out and drove very nicely. It's also got an ageless plate on it, so a good result. My wife liked it too, but just needs to get familiar with it.

Thanks for advice folks.

Pete

Hi Pete.

Congratulations on your purchase I'm sure you will enjoy the Rx experience...I certainly do. What I will say is that as good as the Rx is the build quality is nowhere near that of my mkIII Ls 400 and this was recently confirmed when both cars were on the ramp at my local garage . The mechanic couldn't believe that a 20 year old car which is used daily could be so clean and rust free whereas the 2006 Rx in comparison is showing much more in the way of corrosion

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links