Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Need For Speed Underground

PI100

I have this for the PS2 - superb game (especialy if you like Jap cars and modding....!)  :D

is this networked Zee?

can't wait for GT4 - we need to start sorting out who can adapater etc - LOC / TOC tournaments baby!

No - not networked.... just haven't bothered.

But DEFO game to have crack with GT4!

I'll kick all ya butts..... :lol:

I have this for the PS2 - superb game (especialy if you like Jap cars and modding....!)  :D

is this networked Zee?

can't wait for GT4 - we need to start sorting out who can adapater etc - LOC / TOC tournaments baby!

No - not networked.... just haven't bothered.

But DEFO game to have crack with GT4!

I'll kick all ya butts..... :lol:

Yeah yeah yeah..lol Sad I know but Has anybody else out there got all the tests in all the license's in gold?? on gt3

craig

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, well bought the game xmas eve, and have just completed Underground mode (okay, most races on easy though).

So, figured I'd write a review.

Firstly, stonking game, loads of fun. I've always been a fan of the NFS titles, but wasnt sure about this one, seemed a little too much like cashing in on the F&F/cruise.

However, i was pleasantly surprised.

The game is split between Arcade and Career modes, and with most games of this genre, the more you do in Career mode, the more you unlock in Arcade.

The actual racing is split into 3 different categories, circuit (and in that, sprint and lap knockout), drag and drift.

The circuit racing is as to be expected, usually 4 cars (sometimes just 2) head-to-head around city streets at night. The game dynamics are great, although, this isnt a 'realistic' sim such as GT3, but still each car requires a different technique.

The graphics are pretty good, and the gameplay is even better, starting easy, and gradually getting harder, without ever getting frustrating, but perhaps, it doesnt last quite long enough, but that may be due to its additive nature.

Where things get interesting are drift and drag, drag mode is a F&F style, 1 mile standing race down a city street, you have to shift manually, and the winning the race comes down to timing your changes (and use of Nitrous) just right. Of course, you also need to avoid any traffic and/or obsticles while doing this. Although the race wont last longer than 30 seconds, it was suprising good fun.

Drift, well as the name suggests, it is a drift competition, where you score points for powersliding, again, great fun.

Both these additional 'races' add to the game, and give it a degree of variety, which is good.

One of the best things about this game, is the ability to modify your car, and not in a GT3 sense either. Although there are engine mods, this is kept simple, and has categories such as engine/exhaust and suspension, within this there are 3 tiers of mods (which need to be unlocked) and although you get a choice of packages, this makes no difference (simply for the names).

But, the best thing about modifiying your car, is the looks department. You have a huge array of options to change your car, from small bumper lips, to full on wideboy bodykits, alloys, rage paint.

You can also release your creative side, as you can add vinyl to create unique graphics on your car, and company logo's. You can colour them, and have up to 4 layers.

All these visual mods count towards a 'reputation meter', which awards you points for the more your car is improved, and this in turn multiplies your 'style' points (see below), but unfotuantly, there is no accounting for taste, you can make a pigs ear of a car, and still have a high rating...

You can only have 1 car at a time, but the cars never lose their value, and all mods (engine and style) are transferred over, so you can switch between cars for different races without losing anything.

During all races, you are awarded style points, similar to PG, and you get them for powersliding, flying etc... these all add up and unlock various 'visual' mods for your car..

So all in all, its a great game, assuming you like racing games, and if nothing else, you will spend hours modifying the cars, and then want to go out and do it to yours!

If I have any complaint about this game, it would be that my first car (MX-5) was impossible to replace until i unlocked the Skyline, and the ratings still claimed the MX5 handled better. (and I continued to use it for Drift).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links