Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealer Servicing Costs - Here We Go Again!

The car (IS 250 F-Sport MY2011, so 4 years old) is due its annual service next month.

We've done 27k since new. One owner. Running fine, of course.

The dealer wants just over £400 for a MOT and service.

Can this be right ... .... ?

Argento

Sounds about right for a dealer interim service. The 6 year service is the one you need to take a seat for.

I thought the 250 was chain driven not belt so didn't need replacing at 6 years/60,000 miles?

Sounds about right for a dealer interim service. The 6 year service is the one you need to take a seat for.

I thought the 250 was chain driven not belt so didn't need replacing at 6 years/60,000 miles?

Thats quite right it is chain driven.

The 'big' thing about 60K service is the spark plugs change which apparently takes quite a while. 60K service is often in the region of £600 or so.

Surely if you bought the best parts and oils and brought them to an indie who knows what they are at, it would cost a fraction of the prices above. Can't understand why it's so expensive, it's not like a timing belt has to be changed or anything. Genuine Lexus parts can be bought on eBay from dealers at fairly reasonable prices. The right grade of oil and brake fluid can be purchased from any motor factors.

Quite right. There's nothing complicated about servicing an IS (the spark plug change is a bit of a fiddle as it involves removing the inlet manifold and a load of stuff to enable you to do that).

But workshop manuals, workshop data and parts are all readily available and a competent indie should have no problems.

Most of the regular services are just inspections anyway - and most of them are done at MoT time. There's not actually much that needs doing apart from oil changes (including diff) apart from MoT inspections.

Not sure what extra needs doing on diesels - fuel filter changes I guess - but at least you don't need the spark plug thing! Just save up for the head gasket........

But watch out if you have a Lexus warranty - if you were to claim on that, indie servicing would be a problem. Lexus dealers have you by the short and curlies.....

Totally agree with the above - all the diesel needs extra is a fuel filter, granted it's not as reliable as the petrol, but a search round other manufacturers diesel problems would scare you, apart from the HG issue which they stand over. Don't see any other manufacturer doing that.

Off the top of my head, 4yr service for an IS250 is oil, oil filter, air filter and brake fluid change. Use the GM 5w30 as recommended on here or Millers. I'm nearly sure the brake fluid needed is DOT3, but check in the handbook. Buy a genuine oil filter from eBay and a decent brand air filter, such as Mann or Blueprint they don't matter as much.

This is not unique to Lexus dealers, I have had a selection of models, I generally buy about a year old car, hopefully main recalls and depreciation have occurred! But to keep the warranty active I get dealer serviced, they are an appalling price, a Volvo service was 300 plus

On the plus side the Air Con unit packed up and was replaced FOC under warranty, the invoice was £600!

Once a car hits the 4 year mark I then look for the indys or chop it in

You get poncy coffee, car washed, free baseball cap if you whinge enough, not sure that justifies £400

But as with lots of things it your choice at the end of the day

Finding a reliable indy is our dream much like finding a plumber who turns up on time!

lol

I dont really get these main dealers. Guessing Lexus will have similar/same servicing procedures as Toyota they really do mug you. If you read, at all intermediate servicing they are 90% inspections. What really gets me is that the inspections are really stupid if your paying about £200+. They check the basics, windscreen washer, wipers, oil level, coolant level, check light bulbs, look for warning lights on dash (not that anyone cant see that anyway) and reset the service light. Thats really going to preserve your engine isent it, only the oil check and coolant check would be enough but they add in all that extra rubbish like checking tires to make you feel that your moneys worth it. Even with full service they dont change all the parts, they only change parts if they need replacing and lets face it, these dealers will find everyway to fob you off, if the sparks need changing, they will say ''oh no their just fine, can easy do another 10k miles''. Rip off, they got everyone by the goolies if you have warranty on your car. And now, some people pay £600 for services, LOL, i mean come on, unless you got money to splash about (should look at something like a Rolls Royce or a Bentley in that case) I'd call that a rip off.

not exclusive to Lexus, any main dealer has high prices.

No point taking a car that is old to a main dealer, 4 years is probably border line as its still quite new.

Dealers are meant to stand loyal to warranties even if taken to a non main dealers and serviced with reputable parts.

"Dealers are meant to stand loyal to warranties even if taken to a non main dealers and serviced with reputable parts."

Well yes. But warranties whether original or extended, always specify that the car had to have been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedules. The slightest deviation from that is often used as an excuse to refuse warranty claims, even where the claim is for something not related to the deviation. Car related 'agony aunt' columns in newspapers often feature such tales. eg a fuel injection problem where the deviation is a failure to change brake fluid at a specific point.

Thanks very much to all that have commented.

That's helped me a lot to make a decision.

I'm going to try the indie route.

I hope I'm going to save a lot of money.

I'm also going to enjoy buying the filters, brake fluid and top spec oil for the car.

I can play my Lexus Owners Club card to get a 10% discount too, right?

"I thought the 250 was chain driven not belt ...."
Ha-ha Steve. Nice to know that you've still got that sense of humour.
Chain of course. That's why I can rev it to 6750, in Sport mode!
Diesels eat your hearts out ... :-)
"Sounds like time to find a good indie near you and start taking it there."
Yes, I've got one in mind already.
The one that looks after my wife's MINI Cooper Countryman.
Oil change and full inspection report for £25 (I supplied the oil and filter though).
You can tell I'm lucky enough to live 'up North' can't you?
"Genuine Lexus parts can be bought on eBay from dealers at fairly reasonable prices. The right grade of oil and brake fluid can be purchased from any motor factors."
Yup. That's what I'm going to do.
"Most of the regular services are just inspections anyway - and most of them are done at MoT time. There's not actually much that needs doing apart from oil changes (including diff) apart from MoT inspections."
Yes indeed. I've thought this for a long time now. It's basically oil changes I'm getting, for a very high price.
"I can understand the extra costs involved, I mean someone has to pay for coffee, toilet rolls, light bulbs and attitude training."
But you've forgotten about the "complimentary wi-fi" haven't you? :-)
How dare they mention that .....
Cheap stunt.
"Guessing Lexus will have similar/same servicing procedures as Toyota ...."
That's a good point.
You can see the similarity in many of the parts.
I'm pretty sure the "trained technicians" flit between the Toyota and Lexus services bays when they are on the same site or near each other.
If the workload demands it, I suppose you can't blame them.
BTW slightly off-topic.
The Lexus Roadside Assistance package is still good value at £115, don't you think?
I've just re-newed. Same price as last year.
Argento

"I'm pretty sure the "trained technicians" flit between the Toyota and Lexus services bays when they are on the same site or near each other.

If the workload demands it, I suppose you can't blame"

I'm amazed this doesn't occur to more people. You walk in the Lexus dealership, they take your keys, Lexus technician drives car to local toyota/lexus garage. This is why it sometimes takes ages to get your car back after the jobs done, you have to wait for the next available driver!

blackcts, "Off the top of my head, 4yr service for an IS250 is oil, oil filter, air filter and brake fluid change. Use the GM 5w30 as recommended on here or Millers. I'm nearly sure the brake fluid needed is DOT3, but check in the handbook. Buy a genuine oil filter from eBay and a decent brand air filter, such as Mann or Blueprint they don't matter as much."

Thanks. Noted. That's very helpful.

Re. GM 5w30.

That's GM as in General Motors, right?

If the brake fluid is DOT3, that would be great.

I'll check.

Would help to keep costs down, as the indie would have plenty of that.

I've seen Blueprint products online, alongside BOLK products.

I'd never heard of them until now.

I'll go for the genuine oil filter and get Blueprint air and cabin filters.

Argento

To be honest as I said earlier, and as a few other posters have said, I service my cars for the first 4 years at a main dealer to maintain my warranty, but as some have said you can you use an indy as long as they service within the set standards blah blah (aka any excuse to weedle out of warranty claims)

Myself? Well I include myself in the hypocritical list

1. I use main dealers to maintain my warranty

2. I complain that they are a rip off!

3. I own 2 Lexus's (Lexi?) and never had to claim a warranty repair!

I buy Lexus for their quality and reliability, get them serviced at a main dealer, moan about prices, and have never claimed ! see......................................what a bloody hypocrite

Lol :oops:

• Like 1

Argento, regarding oil the IS250 isnt too fussy, the handbook recommends 5w30 as a grade, so take your pick of brands. I think John on here used GM (General Motors) 5w30 FS Dexos 2, which was around £20 for 5 litres (I'm sure he will on to confirm) which is a bargain and will do the job just as well as Castrol etc IMO.

I used Millers and their premium choice is XF Longlife ECO 5w30 and their budget oil is Trident Longlife 5w30, both will do the job, but any decent brand will be great.

I used a genuine lexus oil filter which was about a tenner delivered from one of the Lexus dealers on eBay. Any reputable brand of air and cabin filter will do the job just fine, Blueprint, Bosch or Mann etc.

Yep - I swear by GM Dexos 2 - use it in all my cars and a couple of family ones I look after. Fully synthetic 5W-30 and meets specs of most manufacturers. Here's a typical source:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-5w-30-GENUINE-GM-VAUXHALL-BMW-FULLY-SYN-ENGINE-MOTOR-OIL-5Ltr-DEXOS-2-/281201430441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4178e94fa9

But lots more on eBay. Note that Dexos 2 is a spec as well as a specific product from GM.

Be careful to get packs that show the hologram on the top right of the label - and there should be a multi-language leaflet on the back. It is alleged that there is a lot of fake stuff about.

Vauxhall dealers sell it but the price from them is apparently about £40 for 5 litres unless you have a trade deal.

Thanks blackcts, johnatg and Derek870, I've just ordered x2 5l GM (General Motors) 5w30 FS Dexos 2 via the link John just posted.

Looks good. Thanks

That's saved me a lot of time.

Argento

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links