Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Conversion Installation Issue

Steviewevie

I just tried to test out my HIDS4U conversion kit, plugging it in before installing to check that the bulbs and ballasts were working ok (onto my second mod already, after my successful sports grille installation earlier ! :D )

However, I hit a slight problem. The connector for my dipped headlamp and the connector on the HID kit didn't quite fit together properly. It looks like the connector on the HID kit is slightly too recessed for the two to be able to contact properly. I had a minor panic when I got them jammed together in an attempt to "make" them fit, but after perseverance I eventually prised them apart !

Did anyone else with the HIDS4U kit have this same problem ? Don't know if the connectors have changed at all, my IS200 is a 1999 model.

I wanted to check what others had done before starting to hack off bits of plastic, in case I'm missing something obvious !

I just tried to test out my HIDS4U conversion kit, plugging it in before installing to check that the bulbs and ballasts were working ok (onto my second mod already, after my successful sports grille installation earlier ! :D )

However, I hit a slight problem. The connector for my dipped headlamp and the connector on the HID kit didn't quite fit together properly. It looks like the connector on the HID kit is slightly too recessed for the two to be able to contact properly. I had a minor panic when I got them jammed together in an attempt to "make" them fit, but after perseverance I eventually prised them apart !

Did anyone else with the HIDS4U kit have this same problem ? Don't know if the connectors have changed at all, my IS200 is a 1999 model.

I wanted to check what others had done before starting to hack off bits of plastic, in case I'm missing something obvious !

i though the same with the kit of got of dazz..

let me try n explain..

take the ballase and the side with the square nobbly bit on the side. then the connector with the movey plastoc thing and lift it up then slide oiver the square nobbly bit!!!

sorry, not explained very well..

if that doesnt help then let me know and will pop out n try n take a pis or pm me and will giveyou my number..

Redz, I love the technical explanation :lol:

Here are some pics of my connectors.

Connector on HID kit (the pins are deep in the second "bulge" on the connector, some way down :

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

Connector to headlamp :

IMG_2081.jpg

I did try turning on the lights to see if the contact had been made. Nothing happened. So although it's possible either the bulb or ballast was faulty, I'm guessing it wasn't in far enough to make electrical contact.

Edit - sorry the pictures are a bit rubbish !

you shouldnt need to cut any bits,mine was the same but with a bit of persuasion it will go together,the first few times are always tight it will loosen up :whistling:

Ooh err :lol:

Ahem. Have you got the same connectors as in my pics ? I had to really force it to get it to go as far as I did, and even then it didn't work. As I said I suppose it's possible I have a faulty component, I didn't try the other bulb/ballast.

if that doesnt help then let me know and will pop out n try n take a pis

Not sure if that will help, but you carry on, it doesn't bother me! LOL

You may find that the connecters need a little physical persuasion to lock in.

If you had no light at all, try flipping one of the connections 180 degrees. Many people, me included, have found that these kits are wired (it would appear) backwards. If you get my meaning? Just try it, you will probably find that gives you light!

They are the same connectors as the kit I got for my GS. They will go together, but have to be tight to keep things water tight. Once connected up, if the lights don't fire up, try swapping the wires round in the connector. Some of the kits, including mine, are wired the opposite way round so don't work straight off.

ok, that's one of the reasons I was asking, I didn't want to try too much force in case there was another solution.

If you had no light at all, try flipping one of the connections 180 degrees. Many people, me included, have found that these kits are wired (it would appear) backwards. If you get my meaning? Just try it, you will probably find that gives you light!

Yeah I've seen that mentioned in other threads on HIDs. Probably a dumb question, but how do I do that ? Aren't the connectors uni-directional, i.e. keyed to only connect one way ?

The connectors will go the other way round but won't lock on. I swapped the pins round on mine, just use a needle/pin to free the locking clip on the pin and push it out of the back. Once both have been pushed out, push them back in the the other way round.

The connectors will go the other way round but won't lock on. I swapped the pins round on mine, just use a needle/pin to free the locking clip on the pin and push it out of the back. Once both have been pushed out, push them back in the the other way round.

ok, thanks. Sounds like I don't need to trim the connectors, just force them together, but perhaps I've hit the "reversed" wiring problem and that's why it didn't appear to work. So I'll give it another try :)

ok, that's one of the reasons I was asking, I didn't want to try too much force in case there was another solution.

Yeah I've seen that mentioned in other threads on HIDs. Probably a dumb question, but how do I do that ? Aren't the connectors uni-directional, i.e. keyed to only connect one way ?

Now, that way round requires even more physical persuaion!

What you need to do is THE BROWN connecter ( in you hand ) THAT goes directly into the ballast...the ballast has a nobbly bit on it...the BROWN connecter has a slide connection on the top of it that has to go over the nobbly bit on the ballast...hey presto and it will work......

Then the connection from the ballast ( THE SEALED ONE ) with the little 2 black/yellow connection ( male connection i believe )simply connect that up to the other 2 little Black/ yellow connection ( FEMALE one) from the Xenon Bulb.....I think thats right...?? they are the only small black /yellow ones in the box...?

Hope that helps you out matey.. :winky:

What you need to do is THE BROWN connecter ( in you hand ) THAT goes directly into the ballast...the ballast has a nobbly bit on it...the BROWN connecter has a slide connection on the top of it that has to go over the nobbly bit on the ballast...hey presto and it will work......

I saw from the instructions that you could do it that way, and I didn't try it but I thought it would be overly restrictive on the placing of the ballast, i.e. you have a much shorter difference from the headlamp wiring to the ballast.

So I was connecting the extension lead from the bulb into the original headlamp connector, and the other end of the extention lead on the HID kit into the ballast. Did you not find your way to be a problem then ? As I said, I hadn't actually tried it. There's loads of room on the driver's side, but much less on the passenger's side.

Now, that way round requires even more physical persuaion!

Actually, now that I've looked at all the connectors again, it looks very easy to reverse the way that the low-voltage connector plugs into the ballast, with very little force required. So that gives me another option to try.

Next to (& slightly underneath on the vertical part) the blow off valve on the bulkhead, that's where my passenger side ballast lives.

Matey get em on, takes 5 mins to fit them, no need to drill, just use some sticky pads :D

Yeh should be able to fit them in.

Hadn't considered sticky pads. Probably should have!

Put it here using the sticky pad. No need to drill.

26593960hc9.th.jpg

Yep thats the best place to put the passenger side one ..like peeps have said just use double sided sticky pads.....the only bugger was getting the bulb in the passenger side .....dosent help when you have big hands.. :yawn:

Attempt #2. Pushed the connectors together as far as they would go. Didn't work. Reversed polarity of 12V wiring by plugging in connector on ballast the opposite way round - didn't work.

Looking at it from the side, I can see clearly what the problem is. The connectors are not going together far enough, no matter how hard I try to force it. They go in so far but get stuck. Looking at the side, there's no way the pins inside the female (HID) connector are engaging with the male (car) connector.

I'm going to have to try filing/sanding down the male connector to try and make it fit further in. I wonder if they are using slightly different connectors on this kit which are a bit different thickness ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links