Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Known Is Rattles

Paradroid

I have a rattle on my IS200 which I thought was in the steering column, but I took it apart and couldn't find it. I also took the footwell dash panel off and couldn't find anything behind there either, I checked the bonnet release, the throttle cable and loads of other electrical cables.

The noise sounds like a loose piece of metal rattling against something, it's quite quiet, but on rough roads it chatters quite a bit and it annoying, especially with the rest of the car being solid.

Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be? Sounds like it's coming from drivers footwell but I guess that means it could be anything behind the dash even at the top (behind instruments), as the sound would exit through the footwell (if that makes sense?). It's definitely inside the car.

Has anyone on the forum heard of anything like it before?

I have rattle with pretty much the same symptoms. Turned out to be the bottom side of the conal leather cover of the gear shifter. Disappears after one push, but comes back when I switch to 6th next time...

I have rattle with pretty much the same symptoms. Turned out to be the bottom side of the conal leather cover of the gear shifter. Disappears after one push, but comes back when I switch to 6th next time...

Well I'll check that thanks but this noise is almost certainly coming from the drivers side dash.

You have my sympathy, that sort of thing would really bug me.

Have you tried driving with some of the dash trim removed, i.e. to see if it is easier to hear where the noise is coming from with less stuff in the way ?

Thanks dude :)

At the weekend I was driving round with the steering column trim off, and the big panel below the steering column removed. But I couldn't find the source of the rattle. Could hear it well though!!

Next up would have been the top of the dash, until I found a guide on the web for how to do it. He reckoned nearly 2 hours to remove, and 2 hours to refit. Quite a big job. Probably end up with more rattles.

What would happen if I took it to the local Lexus dealers I wonder? I can see them either having a quick look and not sorting it, or ripping me off with a big bill!

I have a rattle on my IS200 which I thought was in the steering column, but I took it apart and couldn't find it. I also took the footwell dash panel off and couldn't find anything behind there either, I checked the bonnet release, the throttle cable and loads of other electrical cables.

The noise sounds like a loose piece of metal rattling against something, it's quite quiet, but on rough roads it chatters quite a bit and it annoying, especially with the rest of the car being solid.

Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be? Sounds like it's coming from drivers footwell but I guess that means it could be anything behind the dash even at the top (behind instruments), as the sound would exit through the footwell (if that makes sense?). It's definitely inside the car.

Has anyone on the forum heard of anything like it before?

Although it sounds as though it's inside, just check your wheelnuts!

This steering column rattle is doing my nut in now. It's doing it every time I drive the car, although it takes a few minutes to start up.

I'm now driving round with the plastic cover removes from the steering column.

Tonight I found that if the lever for the tilt adjuster was moved slightly the noise stopped, so I sprayed the adjuster mechanism with some grease, but that's not done the trick either.

It's in the metalwork behind the steering wheel but I just cannot find it!!!

Might have to go to Lexus dealers yet. Will they charge me a fortune?

It's in the metalwork behind the steering wheel but I just cannot find it!!!

Might have to go to Lexus dealers yet. Will they charge me a fortune?

I really do feel for you, that would drive me mad too, it sounds like you've been trying really hard to find it.

I would have thought that a Lexus dealer probably would charge you a fortune to find and fix it. Although I guess there's no harm in asking if they know of any known dashboard rattles similar to the one you describe, and see if they'll tell you for free. They might even charge you to have a quick look at your car if you want to demonstrate the rattle, I don't know. But you don't lose anything by asking.

You said that when you moved the tilt lever, the noise stopped. So did it stop completely with the wheel in a slightly different position ? Or did it only stop when you were actually moving the lever ?

Cheer mate!

On your last question, it's the latter i.e. it stopped when the tilt lever was engaged slightly. Think it might be a red herring though.

Today I've been a bit further and removes the dash trim around the instrument cluster, and then I also removed the instrument cluster itself (well without detaching the wiring).

My latest theory is that it's inside the steering wheel itself, but the sound has been reverbing around to make it seem like it's coming from the steering column or behind the instrument cluster.

So, I need to have a look inside the steering wheel next and see if I can see it :)

• 1 month later...
Wish it was that easy on my car, I've not got to the bottom of it so far!

Hi guys,

haven't posted in ages, but I'm back for your expert help in nailing down a pain in the face dash / dashboard rattle / squeak

I think it's coming from the dashboard binnacle, the dark shroud around the instrument cluster.

When I place a finger against the area circled in red, (just to the right of the fuel gauge) the rattle is much less pronounced.

How can I fix this? apart from driving a 6" nail through it :D

I don't seem to be able to attach a picture?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links