Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys.. I am just about to put screen wash into my LS400...Most screen washes leave a stain type mark on the screen and also the paintwork. Have any of you got a suggestion as to the best screen wash to use............ Cheers Roy,

Many years ago the AA recommended a squirt of washing up liquid and half a cup of methylated spirits as a screen wash. This mixture will not freeze and it cuts through any oil film on the glass. I have used it on all my cars.

The only drawback is a strange smell of rotten apples if you overdo the meths, hic.

Sorry Graham but there is a red flag on using washing up liquid from just about every advisory group regarding screen wash and washing the car.

It contains a very aggressive degreasing agent that is known to damage paintwork and causes the rubbers around the windscreen to harden over time.

• Like 2

Ambermarine, thanks for that correction.

I thought I was safe to advise this because it came from the AA, albeit a long time ago.

Must admit have not always bothered with the detergent because it frothed up too much and relied instead on the meths.

Time to follow the advice of others on this forum.

After seeing various doubts expressed about the possible harm caused by 'cheap' screen washes decided to look at top end products.

Have just bought 5 litres of Autoglym on Fleabay for £20 inc delivery which seems a bargain compared to £5 for 500ml.

After seeing various doubts expressed about the possible harm caused by 'cheap' screen washes decided to look at top end products.

Have just bought 5 litres of Autoglym on Fleabay for £20 inc delivery which seems a bargain compared to £5 for 500ml.

let us know how you get on and if it was worth it

Long time since I thought about washing up liquid. I had heard it was a problem because of salt, but on the aa web site, just seen it saying it produces too much foam - so I assume that means you could end up driving through a bubble bath.

I would imagine the amount of any additive in washing screen liquid will eventually cause a problem to the something on the car (be it paint, wipers, screen rubber), but the amount of salt and junk on roads in winter must surely do as much damage in the long run.

The idea of meths and washing up liquid sounds fair enough, but I use the Halfords stuff, good value, keeps the screen clean and means I get to keep the meths for family tea times :P

• Like 2

Long time since I thought about washing up liquid. I had heard it was a problem because of salt, but on the aa web site, just seen it saying it produces too much foam - so I assume that means you could end up driving through a bubble bath.

I would imagine the amount of any additive in washing screen liquid will eventually cause a problem to the something on the car (be it paint, wipers, screen rubber), but the amount of salt and junk on roads in winter must surely do as much damage in the long run.

The idea of meths and washing up liquid sounds fair enough, but I use the Halfords stuff, good value, keeps the screen clean and means I get to keep the meths for family tea times :P

Meths with a couple of custard creams, yum, yum.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This subject comes up every year. Every motoring website has a similar thread. I have seen lots of overpriced screen wash for sale everywhere from Halfords to Tesco & various filling stations.

The only ready-mixed screen wash that seems to be good value is the stuff from Lidl: If you can get it. Alternatively you can mix your own.

The information below will hopefully help those who are prepared to help themselves.

I have read over & over again that German screen wash products are very good, so thats either the ready-mixed type in small bottles from Porsche or VAG or the concentrated type that has a vessel at the top to measure the required quantity. Two appear to be very good value:

Sonax

Einszett Kristallklar

Either product works out about 30 pence per litre when mixed with water which is fine for summer use.

When it comes to winter, all you have to do, when you mix up a load in your 5 litre container, is add some Ethanol / IPA / Isopropyl Alcohol / Isopropanol (Chemists will explain the difference, Im pretty sure for the purpose of screen wash they are all fine). See below for suitable concentrations.

I got mine from eBay & it worked out about £2.50 per litre, so even at 40% concentration, when combined with Sonax Clear View or Einszett Kristall Klar its around £1.30 per Litre. That would be good down to -23 oC

10% Ethanol = Freezing point of -4 oC

20% Ethanol = Freezing point of -9 oC

30% Ethanol = Freezing point of -15 oC

40% Ethanol = Freezing point of -23 oC

50% Ethanol = Freezing point of -32 oC

60% Ethanol = Freezing point of -37 oC

I hope this info helps folk avoid paying excessive amounts for that blue water.

I always thought ethanol caused damage to rubber this being discovered when it was added to diesel and it began to attack seals and other rubber components in the fuel system.

But isn't Ethanol an additive to petrol and in France they sell E10 which I've read never to put into an older car but seems to be what more modern cars are to use?

ps Tesco 2.5l Screenwash £2.63 am trying it.

I always thought ethanol caused damage to rubber this being discovered when it was added to diesel and it began to attack seals and other rubber components in the fuel system.

Ethanol and diesel is probably a definite NO NO because both like to take up water, and because ethanol (if sat around for a bit) will be the first thing to be drawn through the fuel inlet, it will be quite corrosive. This is more of an issue for marine engines, where the boat is laid up for long periods.

Ethanol is a solvent so will eat its way through things, especially if seals are ancient and brittle in the first place, but modern engines tend not to have seals going brittle (as I understand it).

I would expect if you tipped your windscreen wash over the bonnet every day (because you had nothing better to do) then it would end up marking the paints and eating the windscreen seals, but I would guess the cost of the wash would be more than the cost of a brand new LS. So unless you are a Russian Oligarch trying to prove that a Zil can take more punishment than a LS, maybe we do not need to be worried.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links