Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New purchase

Hello all,

As per my introduction post, I am looking for a car to replace my Accord, and my driving history mainly being that of a Toyota, decided to try Lexus out.

I am considering an IS300h - is there anything I should be aware of?  Any issues which are coming to light etc?  What is the general consensus of these cars?

yes just 1 thing to be aware of

once you have test drove an IS300h you'll want to buy 1

and once you've bought 1 you won't want to sell it.

i am on my 2nd lexus the 1st being a Ct and then the IS i think i'll be staying

with the lexus brand for many years to come.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Thank you. Ive just submitted a request for the 24hr test drive from my local ish dealer. 

Im unfortunately not in the position to buy one brand new but would be able to afford an ex demo. Any specific trim level I should consider which would give a nice balance between cost and toys? The f sport is catching my attention and as i get older, having some luxuries is appealling

27 minutes ago, alteredreality said:

Fantastic. Thank you. Ive just submitted a request for the 24hr test drive from my local ish dealer. 

Im unfortunately not in the position to buy one brand new but would be able to afford an ex demo. Any specific trim level I should consider which would give a nice balance between cost and toys? The f sport is catching my attention and as i get older, having some luxuries is appealling

Pic of the range IMO is the F Sport. Most ex demos usually have the premium nav and leather seats anyway. 

I personally think it looks the best out of the all the trim levels 

• Like 1

I came from an accord (2.4 auto petrol) to an IS (via a CT). The IS is much more like the accord but without the high car tax and low mpg. Getting 50 mpg in my IS.

I went for the advance spec as this has reversing camera. But I think you would get this on an f sport with premium nav.

Enjoy the test drive.

If you buy one second hand from a dealer make sure you ask for a full tank of petrol etc. I assumed Lexus would give you a full tank anyway but I was wrong.

9 hours ago, alteredreality said:

Hello all,

As per my introduction post, I am looking for a car to replace my Accord, and my driving history mainly being that of a Toyota, decided to try Lexus out.

I am considering an IS300h - is there anything I should be aware of?  Any issues which are coming to light etc?  What is the general consensus of these cars?

I'm sure your be happy. Our IS replaced a old Civic, one of the main reasons we got ours over a XE/XF/C class was the proven reliability of the hybrid drive. 

Ours will be with us for 5 years+ hence we didn't mind buying new. Am sure your enjoy the car, it's a much nicer experience than the diesel Honda's :) 

I'd echo what others have said, it's a great car and IMO the F Sport is the most striking. The only negative is the infotainment system which is counter intuitive most of the time, it does what it should but is a head scratcher at times. Definitely not something to put you off the car but IMO an Achilles Heel.

We look forward to an update!

Credit to my nearest dealer. Got a phone call confirming the test drive and got it booked for the start of next week so will have it from monday morning till tuesday.

Very professional on the phone. Good first impression indeed. Keep it up lexus and you may well have a new customer.

Looking forward to next week now. I have never driven a hybrid before

• 2 weeks later...

:laugh:

Starting the engine was just fine, well at least I thought it was on.

I really liked it I must say.  It was the sport and not the F Sport but I do wish it had a bit more power behind it.  Am I buying it?  No.  I loved the handling, the ride, in fact everything about it.  Took me a while to get used to the CVT gearbox but I finally did so and started to enjoy it.  Clocked up almost 200 miles in 24 hrs so did pretty well.  Got an average of 47mpg which I was happy with.  The only reason why I am not buying it is because I wish it had a bit more power.  I dont drive hard, or fast, but I like having it under my foot should I need it.

Considering looking at the GS450h - comfort, toys and that extra ooomph.

I will keep you updated.

Oh, and on a side note, Lexus customer service is absolutely fantastic.  Never experienced anything like it before.  I am pretty much set now on getting a Lexus, just need to find the right one for me.

2 hours ago, alteredreality said:

:laugh:

Starting the engine was just fine, well at least I thought it was on.

I really liked it I must say.  It was the sport and not the F Sport but I do wish it had a bit more power behind it.  Am I buying it?  No.  I loved the handling, the ride, in fact everything about it.  Took me a while to get used to the CVT gearbox but I finally did so and started to enjoy it.  Clocked up almost 200 miles in 24 hrs so did pretty well.  Got an average of 47mpg which I was happy with.  The only reason why I am not buying it is because I wish it had a bit more power.  I dont drive hard, or fast, but I like having it under my foot should I need it.

I will keep you updated.

Oh, and on a side note, Lexus customer service is absolutely fantastic.  Never experienced anything like it before.  I am pretty much set now on getting a Lexus, just need to find the right one for me.

Did you have the car in Eco mode? Have to say, Ive not come across anyone who says the IS300h is slow before - certainly mine goes very well!

In Sport mode the car is almost too peaky - so much so that I rarely use it on the IS!

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 4:42 PM, alteredreality said:

Am I buying it?  No.  I loved the handling, the ride, in fact everything about it.  Took me a while to get used to the CVT gearbox but I finally did so and started to enjoy it.  Clocked up almost 200 miles in 24 hrs so did pretty well.  Got an average of 47mpg which I was happy with.  The only reason why I am not buying it is because I wish it had a bit more power.  I dont drive hard, or fast, but I like having it under my foot should I need it.

TheIS300h isnt slow,  in-gear power delivery is better than a 320d. BUT there is lag in the power delivery,  which I suspect is what your experiencing. That delay between putting your foot down and the car shooting fowards is inevitable due to the nature of the hybrid drivetrain. The lexus system is setup for economy so when you mash your foot it takes time for the combustion engine to respond as the car tries to keep in EV mode as much as possible. 

But judging by the mpg you got on the test drive you weren't pushing too hard.. I saw sub 20mpg on my 24hr test drive when testing out 'sport' mode, sadly the throttle is still there dspite the rubbish mpg :) 

23858586101_77a159a193_z_d.jpg

The GS will feel quicker,  but thats because its got a V6 lump,  and V6 economy to go alone with it.. I saw horrific mpg reads when I had a RX450H for the day, worse than the mpg I was use to seeing in a 400bhp twinturbo petrol BMW. 

25594457945_0cc7aebd21_z_d.jpg

@ganzoom I don't recall any noticeable power lag on the IS when in Sport mode, but the GS450h is a different beast altogether, as you've pointed out. For my money the IS is a perfect balance between a car that would deliver superb economy whilst looking stylish and sporty, and then could match the sporty look with performance and handling when asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with DJP, and I traded in my  2008 GS450h, too much powerful for normal use, for a newer GS 300h. Of course GS 450h is a bullet with an engine over 125 HP more than 300h, but also with 300h engine in SPORT mode you can have fun.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links