Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stolen RX450 Sport

26 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Most modern cars are nicked by people snaffling keys from the kitchen via a side door or simply screwing the house.

Nowadays vehicle crime isn't a priority so getting accurate figures on makes and numbers from any individual Police force is virtually impossible. The figures do exist however and trust me in the big scheme of things its not enough to lose sleep over.

Getting crime figures is very easy, one way is to look at the Gov.UK website. Some, if not all police forces, do publish crime statistics and trends on their own websites.  If not they will have a link to an app that will give you the information. You will also find that the Crime Commissioner also has to publish a police and crime plan that outlines the forces priorities. This may or may not include car crime.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Most modern cars are nicked by people snaffling keys from the kitchen via a side door or simply screwing the house.

Nowadays vehicle crime isn't a priority so getting accurate figures on makes and numbers from any individual Police force is virtually impossible. The figures do exist however and trust me in the big scheme of things its not enough to lose sleep over.

I agree completely. 

It was just part of me being curious about how many RX's do actually get stolen compared to other cars. The X5 seems to be a big hit as are most BMW's. Considering they sell for double the price in India I wouldnt be surprised if they were shipped over there as well as the usual places in Africa etc

12 hours ago, Verbout said:

Getting crime figures is very easy, one way is to look at the Gov.UK website. Some, if not all police forces, do publish crime statistics and trends on their own websites.  If not they will have a link to an app that will give you the information. You will also find that the Crime Commissioner also has to publish a police and crime plan that outlines the forces priorities. This may or may not include car crime.

I guess my point was that Forces often fail to differentiate between theft of / TWOC / theft from a vehicle or vehicle Interference. They tend to lump it all under the term  'Vehicle Crime' in these stats which can be very misleading. My local force is typical of this hence It's extremely difficult to differentiate between the theft of high value vehicles as in the OP's case or someone taking some wheel trims.

Dumbing down crime (vehicle crime in particular) is all part of the usual Government plot to mess with the stats when it suits them. When it was necessary to make austerity cuts it was also necessary to sweep volume crime under the carpet and remove it as a priority.

When they need some good news again acquisitive crime will become a priority, figures will drop and we can all clap our hands at what a marvellous job the Govt of the day are doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

I guess my point was that Forces often fail to differentiate between theft of / TWOC / theft from a vehicle or vehicle Interference. They tend to lump it all under the term  'Vehicle Crime' in these stats which can be very misleading. My local force is typical of this hence It's extremely difficult to differentiate between the theft of high value vehicles as in the OP's case or someone taking some wheel trims.

Dumbing down crime (vehicle crime in particular) is all part of the usual Government plot to mess with the stats when it suits them. When it was necessary to make austerity cuts it was also necessary to sweep volume crime under the carpet and remove it as a priority.

When they need some good news again acquisitive crime will become a priority, figures will drop and we can all clap our hands at what a marvellous job the Govt of the day are doing.

Crime figures are massaged/rigged at source, well before they get to government level and then some more. It depends on what they want you to know.

7 hours ago, Verbout said:

Crime figures are massaged/rigged at source, well before they get to government level and then some more. It depends on what they want you to know.

Back in the day yes but to risk the wrath of HMIC Inspections nowadays - it would take a brave Police Force to get involved in that. 

What we do know is that Labour created a massive crime wave by asking Police forces to crime everything in the early 2000's, then changed the crime recording methods to look as if it was falling, the Tories got in and binned the staff and decided volume crime wasn't a priority. The strings nowadays are pulled from above. 

• 1 month later...

Shocked at the news that RX450 can be so easily cheated with a simple hack!

Can we get the discussion back on how best to avoid this hack? 

Will keeping keys in tin foils help? Can the keyless access blocked allowing only manual key entry in case you're traveling in high risk area?

Any response from Lexus or dealership?

1 hour ago, sylm_2000 said:

Shocked at the news that RX450 can be so easily cheated with a simple hack!

Can we get the discussion back on how best to avoid this hack? 

Will keeping keys in tin foils help? Can the keyless access blocked allowing only manual key entry in case you're traveling in high risk area?

Any response from Lexus or dealership?

Same thing with all cars really and not really worth worrying about or losing sleep over.

You could put the key in a lead box. That should do the trick  😉

Linas, I think the idea is that they don't know there is a tracker in it, so the car has a better chance of being recovered from the lock-up where they will no doubt store them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cars stolen to order you'll never see again, no matter what security devices are fitted.

That said would one want the car back, after some scroat has ragged it and no doubt damaged it in numerous ways?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Cars stolen to order you'll never see again, no matter what security devices are fitted.

That said would one want the car back, after some scroat has ragged it and no doubt damaged it in numerous ways?

The stolen to order ones are driven extremely carefully. They're not worth much if damaged as the clients wanting them won't give a penny if they find issues with it.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

The stolen to order ones are driven extremely carefully. They're not worth much if damaged as the clients wanting them won't give a penny if they find issues with it.

Which is why I said

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Professional car thieves can disable a tracker very quickly, usually by jamming the signals. They are also surprisingly easy to find and disable.

The very best have satellite units that sit on the CANBUS and disable the car. They are very small and can be anywhere in the wiring. Because these units don't transmit they can't be easily found. The cars have to be physically lifted away to a safe location and then stripped out to remove the unit before the car can be sold on.

Am I right in assuming that the tech used to steal keyless entry vehicles relies on mimicking the exact coding of the master key, then amplifying that signal and transmitting it to a receiver which contains a fake transmitter which can then remotely open the vehicle and start the ignition?  

If this is the case, then surely it affects ALL lexus models and not just the RX.  The RX seems to be singled out as its a popular urban tractor for the well to do, and has a big overseas market, possibly where they all end up after being "ringed".

If this is the case, then the solution is simple isn't it?  Make it as difficult to get the signal and add layers of additional security.  Keep you keys in an anti-static ESD shielded bag (Faraday cage)...don't use the canvas wrap wallets for phones as they may not seal well enough.  The bags cost a few quid.  Add a steering lock (physical barrier 1).  Buy a wheel clamp and fit that...it takes a few seconds of time in the evening.  Install one of those folding barrier posts at the end of your drive which can be padlocked in the evening if you keep it on the drive way.  

Being an owner in the past of a lot of exotic and highly desirable motorbikes (not any longer as I've sold them all now), most were easier to pinch than any car.  I simply used ground anchors and added physical deterant even when locked in the garage.

Thieves may be getting smarter, but being smart, they wont bother to nick something that can't be taken within 2 or 3 minutes as the risks are too great.   Make them work for it.  A really good steering lock is what, £100 or less?  Faraday bag = £6 odd.  Barrier post = £40.  That's not a lot of money for peace of mind and probably far better than a tracker which, as mentioned, wont prevent determined thieves from having a go.  A thief, with the right gear, will take a minute to disable a good lock on a barrier post, they wont run over it for risk of being jammed on the thing or causing damage.  It takes another minute to bypass the very best steering locks (check out which reports).  There's two minutes gone, even if they manage to break into the car.  The Faraday bag prevents any reception of the correct coded signal, to their tech is made redundant unless they keep you under observation and make sure the radio signal thief is close to you when you open the car.  Keep your eyes peeled.  Don't go out an unlock the car if you see anyone loitering.

There's no guarantees as determined thieves will steal anything, but the steps above mean at least you are forewarned and forearmed.

• Like 2

Absolutely correct. I have bought pack of three cases from amazon and they are perfect to prevent RFID signal leakage even when standing next to the door.

That's my peace of mind. Have a secure driveway, will think about getting a steering wheel lock.

You can only create deterance not prevent 100%

• Like 1

Here's a link to the pouch that I ordered for my Lexus keys:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005NZB5CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That buys a mixed pack.  Use one for the spare set and keep it safe.  Keep your keys when not in use, in the other.  

Here's a recent review of steering wheel locks if that helps too:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/95031/steering-wheel-locks-2016-group-test

There's a few knocking around for wheel locks.

That little lot fitted would deter most thieves I suspect and your keys would be safe from electronic theft.

• Like 1

i have never understood the whole purpose of keyless tech. what was soo wrong with having physical keys to unlock and start your car? keyless technology just doesnt make sense as one still needs to carry the key fob with them in order to access the vehicle or in this case use radio waves amplifier.

walk up to the vehicle touch the door handle wait a second or two before door unlocks. old school remote keys, can unlock a car about 5-10 feet away from the car and walk straight to open the door without having to wait few seconds whilst holding the door handle for radio signals to link together. someone might argue but what happens when you have a handful of stuffs and cant trigger the remote to open the doors? well the solution is to put the shopping bags down and trigger the remote its that simple and takes next to no effort.

Again how much effort does it take to insert a key into the barrel and turn it?? next to no effort.. just like pressing a push start button so again what benefit is the keyless tech bringing to the table?

with my old school keys i lock the car and check its locked by pulling the handle with key less tech there is no way of confirming your car is locked as door will always open once you walk up to it and pull the handle so how does one confirm their car is indeed secure?

so after spending ££'s on a car manufactures now expect key less car owners to spend ££ again on steering locks and pouches to store the fobs.  last time i used a sterring lock was when i had my 1995 Renault Clio 15 years ago. steering locks on a car costing £40-50k is ridiculous in my opinion. 

Even the Lexus LFA which is the expensive Lexus ever comes with an 'old school' physical key. LFA engineers knew keyless tech served no purpose.

• Like 2

Here in Holland the RX is in the top 5 of stolen cars, all done by professional organised gangs and transported to Eastern Europe thesame day. Apparently the hybrid systems give nice tax breaks in Russia creating a huge demand for these cars. The BMWś are not stolen but stripped completely. Imagine leaving the house in the morning opening the cardoor to find out the steeringwheel, satnav, aircounit, radio and controllers are gone... This happened to me 2 times in 6 months so i was forced to sell the car and went back to Lexus. Idea behind this is there are not so many Lexus cars about so no market for stolen parts. 

Maybe a solution would be to spec the car without satnav and close the door with the twist of a key like 20 years ago?

oh yes police is not interested at all.. 

41 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

oh yes police is not interested at all.. 

I reckon they would be Interested, they are probably just not given the funding or personnel to deal with the problem. The technology is there to catch these people but in the UK this is all getting swept under the carpet, Insurance companies are the big cushion who take the hit then the press go nuts asking why premiums go up all the time.

However you could also argue the onus is on the manufacturers to sort this stuff out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links