Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharger Fitting At Jae

RX-Men-8

Shoud I fit the S/C at JAE  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Shoud I fit the S/C at JAE

• Do it, it can be done in a day easy and it'll be fun
    • Don't do it, it'll just rain all day, you'll never get it ready, or it will break down on the way home

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day is getting closer :) Weather forecast not looking too promising :blink: , but the offering of help more than makes up for that, thanks guys!

May I make a friendly reminder to the great people who have offered to bring certain items, not to forget to pack them?

Also the heat shield needs modifying so you should be able to have mine.
Main thing to remember is plenty of thread lock compound, i have some great stuff that looks like a "pritt stick" clue dispenser, as its a wax like compound it doesnt drip on your face if you use too much and work with the bolt over your head!
I do have a set of the Blue mini car ramps that would easily fit into my boot. although you would need to take the front bumper off to get it up on them. but you need to take it off anyway to fit the intercooler!
I have a gas soldering iron I can bring along, it's quite nifty!

And of course the most important bit :D

I'll be be bringing it with me !

Cheers and see you all on Friday/Saturday!

RX-Men-8

Thanks for all the help guys, it was a real European operation! I'm back at work now (bit early ;) ) and all went fine.

I'd like to thank The Don for bringing all the handy tools and helping with a lot of the work (bracket fitting + ECU soldering!), Gord for helping with the I/C and piping, and Yemgi from France as he had just done the mod himself and Boergy from Austria who just has to help every time work is done on a car :). And last but not least Dave for making sure all went smoothly on the logistic and support side.

The car is running great, a very smooth power delivery across the entire rev range, now I can accelerate out of turns in 2nd gear like it's supposed to. Actually IS200 should be like that as standard.

A great weekend it was! :driving::driving::driving:

Thanks,

RX-Men-8

The car is running great, a very smooth power delivery across the entire rev range, now I can accelerate out of turns in 2nd gear like it's supposed to.  Actually IS200 should be like that as standard.

A great weekend it was!  :driving:  :driving:  :driving:

Thanks,

RX-Men-8

Cant agree with you more. Glad you like it :D

Just dont get too carried away with changing / modding everything else now you've an s/c fitted :D

cheers mate, had a realy good time fitting it.

if i hadnt been in the show and shine i would have helped even more, realy glad your happy though :)

I was amazed at this, it was finished before I'd even gotten up!!

Good to hear it all and got you back to the Netherlands safely, it was good to meet you and all the other Euro members, maybe we should have a meet in the Netherlands, that could be fun too - I'll have some cake and bring some vids home :lol:

I was amazed at this, it was finished before I'd even gotten up!!

Good to hear it all and got you back to the Netherlands safely, it was good to meet you and all the other Euro members, maybe we should have a meet in the Netherlands, that could be fun too - I'll have some cake and bring some vids home :lol:

LOL. Bet you're well impressed anyway G. I had a drive in Aido's, and the S/c is VERY tempting indeed.

What's next? :lol:

D.

Today was not so good... Car wouldn't run when I wanted to get back from work. Just like the first startup at JAE, it kept shutting down after 2 seconds. It was running fine this morning, so this was an unwelcome surprise.

On 2 other occasions - first run at JAE and just yesterday - the ECU went into emergency mode. Both times it happened when slowly turning out of a corner in 2nd gear. Restarting the engine made the problem go away, and I could not provoke it when I tried to do the same. Had a long test run last night and it ran like a charm.

So... I checked all mechanical bits first, piping, bypass valve (actually took the hose off and looked if it opened correctly), rubber clamps, all okay.

Tried to call Mat C as I have his number in my phone, but got voicemail. So I went ahead and took out the piggyback ECU. Just cut it out and connected the wire that was cut to install the ecu back together with a clamp wire.

DSCF2726.sized.jpg

The car ran straight away. At least I could drive it on low throttle, I didn't dare to make the supercharger bypass valve close. It actually was very driveable.

So.... conclusion? Dodgy piggyback ECU? It was VERY warm and humid today.

How can I quickly get a replacement... TTE?

Thanks guys,

RX-Men-8

Today was not so good...  Car wouldn't run when I wanted to get back from work.  Just like the first startup at JAE, it kept shutting down after 2 seconds.  It was running fine this morning, so this was an unwelcome surprise.

On 2 other occasions - first run at JAE and just yesterday - the ECU went into emergency mode.  Both times it happened when slowly turning out of a corner in 2nd gear.  Restarting the engine made the problem go away, and I could not provoke it when I tried to do the same.  Had a long test run last night and it ran like a charm.

So...  I checked all mechanical bits first, piping, bypass valve (actually took the hose off and looked if it opened correctly), rubber clamps, all okay. 

Tried to call Mat C as I have his number in my phone, but got voicemail.  So I went ahead and took out the piggyback ECU.  Just cut it out and connected the wire that was cut to install the ecu back together with a clamp wire. 

DSCF2726.sized.jpg

The car ran straight away.  At least I could drive it on low throttle, I didn't dare to make the supercharger bypass valve close.  It actually was very driveable.

So....  conclusion?  Dodgy piggyback ECU?  It was VERY warm and humid today.

How can I quickly get a replacement...  TTE?

Thanks guys,

RX-Men-8

duncan has one ,send him a pm.

TTE are sending me a new one, free. :) A silver ECU upgrade would cost me 508 euros.

Having described the symptoms, they immediately said the ECU is broken.

Thanks Mat and Tony for providing the TTE contact info!

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

TTE are sending me a new one, free. :)  A silver ECU upgrade would cost me 508 euros. 

Having described the symptoms, they immediately said the ECU is broken.

Thanks Mat and Tony for providing the TTE contact info!

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Sorry to hear that mate. It worked fine when fitted to my car and i had no problems with it what so ever.

Hope you get it all sorted

Sorted :)

The way it now runs makes me realise that it hadn't been right before from the start. Performance above 4000 rpm is now good as well, before it kind of ran like a turbodiesel, lots of torque at 2500-4000 rpm, but relatively unwilling above 4500 rpm (not much more than standard). And the 2 occasions it went into emergency mode (engine light on + trc light flashing) was probably a forebode of complete failure.

I now have to fear for the clutch, it is really pulling aggressively :D And you're at top speed before you know it.

Very happy, and TTE really reacted quickly :thumbsup:

RX-Men-8

glad its all sorted, i need to get onto tte myself as my small bypass spring broke and now i am running on the new type, but i want a back up spring just incase that one goes too!!

Realy glad things are working out for you now though!

Good to hear it Gerhard, I love the way first gear just disappears on the SC'd IS, you'll be having lots of fun over there, what are the speed limits in Holland?

Good to hear it Gerhard, I love the way first gear just disappears on the SC'd IS, you'll be having lots of fun over there, what are the speed limits in Holland?

50-80-100-120 kph, so roughly 35-50-60-75 MPH. I do have my Stinger radardetector to help me keep out of trouble though. But I'll seldom do more than 30kph over the limit (court appearance when caught) letalone over 50kph (license gone when caught). I'm a careful driver, to be honest. But I must admit I wasn't really looking how fast I was going last night ;)

Cheers,

RX-Men-8