Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

sooner or later its going to be more difficult to kept the mk4 up together ,some parts going to be problem.is it natural progression to go to 430,can you still work on them yourself,cos you can do alot on mk4,unless your car immaculate,its a bit exspensive to keep going to lexus,and in the real world s/h only going to make small difference to resale on old car,mines pretty good at mo,but 15 yrs old,and a daily driver for me,different i know if its a w/end or highday car ,my old k reg was still going strong,but they get a bit tired looking,whats peoples take on this?

sooner or later its going to be more difficult to kept the mk4 up together ,some parts going to be problem.is it natural progression to go to 430,can you still work on them yourself,cos you can do alot on mk4,unless your car immaculate,its a bit exspensive to keep going to lexus,and in the real world s/h only going to make small difference to resale on old car,mines pretty good at mo,but 15 yrs old,and a daily driver for me,different i know if its a w/end or highday car ,my old k reg was still going strong,but they get a bit tired looking,whats peoples take on this?

NO problem I've just spent approx 2K on my LPG 98 MKIV and worth every penny :flowers: Having replaced the suspension with 2nd hand spring shocks etc & new Track rod ends including a new SS Y exhaust section new tyres etc etc etc It should be good for another 250K

• Like 1

That's the thing.

Jon has just spent 2K on an old car, madness some would say, I'm sure.

But he now has a luxury car in excellent nick.

Alternatively, he could have sold his LS for peanuts and spent his 2K on a ten year old blandmobile that MIGHT get you from A to B if you're lucky, and bore you to tears in the process.

You're only here once people, might as well enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1

i am very happy with mine,the cars had k2 spent on it in the last 18mths,new suspension bits,cambelt,discs,brake pads, tyres,steering rack repairs,lexus service,thou iv just changed oil and filters myself,hopefully be ok for a while,but the new mot regs makes it harder to keep old cars on the road,and if you change, some big engine newer cars have got £500 road tax on them,just looking to the future really,gone seems to be the time when you could buy a big engine car cheap and run in to the ground thou you stand a chance with an ls

The 15 years mentioned means nothing if the car as been well looked after main problem is rust on the subframes and cills .My mark 1 was 22 years old when I sold it to a guy who as had four Ls 400s, every time he buys one he gets offers for them .The Mark 1 I owned for sixteen years and put 180k on it I have no doubt barring accidents it is still running about today.And the Mark 4 will see me out, I have arranged an "EL Cid" departure.

• Like 1

Guest macash48

I've bought a mk4 LS 1998 about 3 weeks ago after deciding life is too short ,actually nearly cut short completely earlier this year,

just had the cambelt done and am sending it off for lpg tommorrow . So far its the best car I have ever had including a brand new car in 2004. I just love the effortless power.FANTASTIC!

I've bought a mk4 LS 1998 about 3 weeks ago after deciding life is too short ,actually nearly cut short completely earlier this year,

just had the cambelt done and am sending it off for lpg tommorrow . So far its the best car I have ever had including a brand new car in 2004. I just love the effortless power.FANTASTIC!

The 15 years mentioned means nothing if the car as been well looked after main problem is rust on the subframes and cills .My mark 1 was 22 years old when I sold it to a guy who as had four Ls 400s, every time he buys one he gets offers for them .The Mark 1 I owned for sixteen years and put 180k on it I have no doubt barring accidents it is still running about today.And the Mark 4 will see me out, I have arranged an "EL Cid" departure.

I agree entirely with the above remarks. I'll be 73 in December and this concentrates the mind. I bought my first LS 400 a 1996 Mk 3 in March last year for £750. The car had covered 221,000 miles. I was so impressed that I spent £5,000 giving the car a full service, rectifying minor faults, all suspension-related, touching up the bodywork and then having the car professionally detailed inside and out. The car is now in showroom condition. In doing all this I also had in mind an "El Cid" departure, as ambermarine so imaginatively and thoughtfully describes.

Then, like macash48, I bought a Mk 4 over the bank holiday from my Best Man. This time I paid £2,000 for a car with 167,000 miles but serviced 100% by Lexus franchised dealers since day one and with only two previous owners. My plan is to also to make my Mk 4 as good as my Mk 3 although I'm sure that this time round I'll be spending far less than £5,000! As they say: "This is life, this is not a dress rehearsal."

I should stress that my two LS 400s are strictly 'hobby' cars but I do hope that my condition, as a member of 'a certain age' adds another perspective as to why we value and enjoy these cars so much.

• Like 1

PEPE I quite agree ...... there's far more to life than money and if you don't spend it now on yourself as sure as hell some other bugger will spend it for you when you're looking down on them and thinking " if only I'd done that with it " ................

age wise I'm catching up too :whistling:

But I bought my current LS400 just over 2 years ago now, in absolute pristine condition and with Full Lexus Service History from a Member on here ( Parts Manager at Lexus Poole Dorset ) and happily paid his full asking price ........... are the prices for the very best " firming up " do you think ? :rolleyes:

Malc

yes the prices for good cars are high ,some 430 are coming down to the same price ranges,and they are a little more modern,really.

mine prob be ok for ages yet,perhaps the the 460 in range for me in a couple of years.,at the mo i am more than happy with the mk4

I really take my hat off to people like PEPE. For him to buy a LS400 for £750 and throw £5000 at it, just shows what people feel for these cars are worth to them. A car is worth what you feel is value for money. It does not matter what other people think. There will always be someone to tell you what they think. The LS400 is a bit like a dog, if you have to spend money on them, they will return it 10 fold in reliability. I sold a Mk 4 at a loss coz of suspension problems. Bought a Mondeo with very low mileage. Bore the pants off me. Part ex for another LS. Newer one and a lot better then old one. Did not think it would be better the old one. Just something about them!!!

Tom

Many thanks for your comments, Tom. You are quite right. I just love to get behind the wheel of an LS 400. What a sense of occasion! What other people think is the least of my problems as the feedback I invariably get is 'what a lovely car!' I have now started to do up my 'new LS 400 Mk 4. Keep watching this space, or maybe, should I start a new thread?

Pepe

• 3 months later...

PEPE

WHERE DID YOU HAVE YOUR LS400 brought to showroom standard for £5 grand?

I am interested to do the same but can't find a decent place so far. I live in Buckinghamshire.

Thanks.

Shiner

I have no desire whatsoever to change from owning my LS400 mk4. These cars are definitely worth throwing money at as they age. What else drives like one of these? A new modern car instead? No thanks. My Mk4 is 14 years old and has just sailed through another M.O.T. with no advisories. That tells you something.

• Like 1

PEPE

WHERE DID YOU HAVE YOUR LS400 brought to showroom standard for £5 grand?

I am interested to do the same but can't find a decent place so far. I live in Buckinghamshire.

Thanks.

Shiner

Hi Shiner

Rather than just giving you a name and address I will set out first what I did to my 'new' LS 400 Mk 4 so that you can see where the money went. I bought the car from my Best Man on 24.08.13 for £2,000 with 166,739 miles on the odometer. I bought the car because I knew personally the previous owners and the car had a FSH mostly from Lexus franchised dealers. The car, however, had the usual blemishes, little scratches, mismatched tyres, accumulated dirt . . you get the picture. tyres So here's what I did:

1. Replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioners.
2. Gave it a major service, this includes changing all the fluids, new spark plugs, filters, etc.
3. Refurbished all 5 alloy wheels.
4. Replaced all 5 tyres with new AVONs.
5. Replaced the damaged rubber spoilers underneath the front bumpers.
6. Removed all stone chips and scratches by selective respraying of all the affected areas.
7. Had the entire car professionally DETAILED. This involved removing all microscopic scratches from the entire paintwork, cleaning the engine bay, treating the leather upholstery, cleaning all the nooks and crannies throughout the entire car, polishing and finally waxing.
8. Changed the gear selector knob. I could not stand the one that came with the car so I imported a new one from Japan.
9. New number plates--simple and elegant--no advertisements.
10. Replaced the cabin filter. Everybody forgets this!
11. Replaced the damaged door rubber seal on the rear O/S door.
The bill for the parts that needed replacing, came to a total of £885.97 paid to Lexus Guildford after obtaining a 10% discount because I am an LOC Gold Member. So:
1. Lexus parts £885.97
2. New number plates 39.98
3. Labour--Repairs and respray to bodywork 750.00
4. Refurbishing 5 alloy wheels and fitting 5 new Avon Tyres 939.37
5. Labour--Full service including fitting new timing belt, water pump, etc. 350.00
6. Parts: spark plugs, filters, oil, antifreeze and brake fluids 218.51
VAT on items 3 to 6: 451.58
Subtotal: £3,635.41
7. detailing fee £525.00
TOTAL: £4,160.41
The chap who did items 1 to 6 is John Hill, of Hillson's Limited, Roundstone Lane, Angmering, West Sussex BN16 4AT. Tel: 01903 788 291. I had a word with John today and got clearance from him to give out his coordinates here. John is an excellent mechanic. I got to know him because he maintained my Mk 3 for its previous owner since 2007. He is very precise and businesslike. He gives all quotations in writing and then sticks to them without fail. His garage, a family business, deals in commercial vehicles and John works in Lexuses occasionally, but let me tell you, he knows our cars inside and out. I'm sure he could change a timing belt blindfolded.
The detailing work was done by a very nice chap called Christian who trades under the name of INVISIBLE TOUCH detailing. He also did a wonderful job on my Mk 3.
Here are the results:
post-42486-0-07955200-1386276489_thumb.j
post-42486-0-13846600-1386276749_thumb.j
post-42486-0-14124700-1386276978_thumb.j
post-42486-0-45550600-1386277204_thumb.j
post-42486-0-51151000-1386277391_thumb.j
post-42486-0-00452200-1386277631_thumb.j
post-42486-0-11957000-1386277921_thumb.j
post-42486-0-84079000-1386279891_thumb.j
post-42486-0-55843600-1386280085_thumb.j
I hope to have been of some help. Good luck!
Pepe
  • Like 1

The whole car looks amazing but in particular the engine bay which when you think how difficult it is to get into all the little corners in the engine bay looks like a brand new car. The wheels also look great. How long did it take him to do the whole car? Mike

Car looks great BUT I would point out that these days & for obvious reasons number plates MUST (by law) show who produced them. If they don't the cops could give you a pull & issue you with a notice to get them changed........sorry :whistling:

Car looks great BUT I would point out that these days & for obvious reasons number plates MUST (by law) show who produced them. If they don't the cops could give you a pull & issue you with a notice to get them changed........sorry :whistling:

Thanks for your concern, Lexmanic. I said NO ADVERTISING, for example the name of the dealer that supplied the car. My plates were made by Halfords and all that is required by law is printed in small discrete grey letters. Look closely at the lettering below the '4' in my Mk 3's plate. All very elegant, in my view.

post-42486-0-69920200-1386305206_thumb.j

Thanks for your concern, Lexmanic. I said NO ADVERTISING, for example the name of the dealer that supplied the car. My plates were made by Halfords and all that is required by law is printed in small discrete grey letters. Look closely at the lettering below the '4' in my Mk 3's plate. All very elegant, in my view.

attachicon.gifDSC08411.jpg

Great & it is elegant as you say but very difficult to see let alone read so you might still get a stop. Just my opinion anyway

Pepe, wot a credit to you and the guys doing the work ................ looks just like mine :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Brilliant. Hope no bugger comes along and spoils it for you, EVER

Malc :hehe:

PEPE

you have been more than helpful

Thanks a million! You have really inspired me and instead of thinking of changing my 430 to 460 I am going to do what you did. You have saved me a lot of bother and investment in the 460.

I have had the spark plugs changed recently and so should be ok for next 60000 miles that means for my remaining life! Cam belt was also done but they ( the Lexus dealer ) did not change the water Pump or the tensioners..I hand' realised I should have requested that !

Do you think I should have that done from safety point of view and of course peace of mind!

Also have four brand new tyres Bridgestones in my case.

I will be calling John next week and do I mention your name as Jose or Pepe? For introducing him to me....when the car is due for major service next year I shall have him replace hoses etc and replace all the filters including the cabin ...I can source a reversing monitor from from www.amayama.com for either 860 euros from Tokoyo or 335 euros from UAE...it just takes longer from UAE. And hopefully John can install it.

I will take photos before and after and post them when all done and dusted.

Your cars look absolutely fantastic and I am looking forward to having mine do the same!

Thanks again

Shiner

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links