Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I bought an exhaust off user pcc345 off eBay and he tells me that his wife has boiled it over. I'm not quite sure if he is selling the whole car for spares or if he'll break it. its a 2004 plate with only 66k on it and full service history. He did have some other parts for sale but they were no good to me as I already had them....full size spare, parking sensors etc.

Might be worth a punt to someone.

• Like 1

The exhaust was one of the retrograde steps taken with the LS430,whereas all the LS400s had stainless steel systems the 430 had mild steel hence the reason why you now need a new back box.

Ask 'Malc'.

One day he will grasp why the LS430, (with a few mods) is supreme!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/101739-possible-cheap-ls430-radiator-if-youre-in-leicestershire/#entry920295

More Montego than Melgaço Rupert. I'm sadly stripping my wonderful Monty TD, a most supreme Continental cruiser in its day. I'd happily have another.

................ just can't see the point in worrying myself over potential major issues like:

air suspension, mild steel exhaust, gearbox and rad issues, steering rack going kaput ............... otherwise I'm sure i would think about buying one.

NOW, maybe a good, well looked after Ls600 might not go amiss though ...... pondering on that one !

Malc

................ just can't see the point in worrying myself over potential major issues like:

air suspension, mild steel exhaust, gearbox and rad issues, steering rack going kaput ............... otherwise I'm sure i would think about buying one.

NOW, maybe a good, well looked after Ls600 might not go amiss though ...... pondering on that one !

Malc

1) Air suspension is not 430 specific. It is afaik the same suspect system on all the LS models so equipped.

Mine does not have it, which is why I bought the car.

2) My exhaust is stainless. It looks to be original.

3) I refuse to discuss the rad issue :)

4) Duff racks? Oh god. I didn't know about that one :(

I researched the now affordable 600, & ran. Please be careful Malc. You know you have the best of the breed.......apart from duff starters; leaking pas pumps wrecking the alternator; rusty arches, screen surround rot; esp. at the roof. I saw two like that.

BTW: you missed the 430 Premium's rear a/c issue. Mine came with that fixed too. A pity it doesn't work at the front either :(

..................starter motor was a recall on the Mk3 and usually these have been fixed and should last about 200k miles I guess; the pas leaking, well, on the Mk1 and Mk2 it can drip into the alternator and bugger that up and I know that happened on my Mk1 a long time ago now............... frustrating at the time, but it did take 160,000 miles for it to happen !!! .......... not seen any rust yet on my wheel arches or windscreen surround after 20 years tbh.

Oh and I forgot with the Ls430: delamination of the double glazing ( £500 a window ) and rust on the driver's door ( and I have read here, on the boot lid too ) both of which if you get to Lexus before 12 years have elapsed they will probably replace under the warranty.

Think I'll probably pass on the Ls430 at this time :innocent:

Malc

Sir Malc, how dare you pick on my double glazing!! It's fine, luckily.

In mitigation, I was looking for a 400 but nothing decent dropped into place when I was in the uk.

On the day I was going to look at a unique Rover P4, a coil-suspended 430 appeared.

In retrospect I should bought the Rover, fitted epas and put up with the understeer on the 97 bends into town, but I was seduced by a corker of a car faster than an E-type. (I must remove those pin-holed rear s/s reasonators so I can hear something of this glorious lean burn VV V-8)

Oh calamity, (& a bottle of Pinteira), I should have bought both cars :(

Best wishes from a mildly sober (one of the many on this forum) Stuart(s)

• Like 1

................ heavens above, a Rover P4 ........... sold a really nice one in my car sales business a few years ago, a beauty with little flags embellished on the front wings, it was an ex diplomat car ... very fine cars BUT why on earth would you want those doors opening from the central column and the stcky-out semaphore signals ...... and the aluminium corrosion ( were they ally bodies ? I can't remember now ) but wonderful patina leather upholstery, reminded me of All Creatures Great and Small ................ and the greatness of the Ls400 that I had at that time, my first a 1992 Mk1

btw my third car is a 1932 Triumph Southern Cross Sports Tourer !

Malc

Somebody mention a "Montego" had one of the first estates to come off the assembly line bought at Lookers in Bolton mettalic blue but it was'nt put together properly and the front drivers door caught on the front wing when opening.Took it back and they had it a day and it opened ok but there was a gap that was'nt there before.

A couple of days later it rained and the area on the cill below the edge that did'nt fit went all speckled red. We then discovered they had used an angle grinder on a brand new car to take some of the metal away.

British workmanship of the 80s ,the car did take us all the way to Italy "Rimini", on a Cosmos find your way holiday through Europe but the front windows came off their slides and dissapeared into the doors, so it was a bit draughty coming home.

As it turned out I had four more of those montys and the 2 litre version was pretty good.

Now I can't resist a comment can I? I've had two ls400's for a total of 7 years, and they were great cars, no doubt. The LS430 however, is, (in my opinion) superior in almost every way. In those 7 years, I've experienced rust, starter problems, coil pack problems, wiper motor problems, suspension knock problems, damp boot problems, leaking power steering pump problems, air con problems, exhaust blowing problems, seat heater problems, display problems, a power steering rack leak, and that's just the things I remember. Oh, I nearly forgot the leaking sun roof. So as good as they are, the LS400 (unlike the Pope apparently) are not infallible. As I've said before, some of the known problems on the 430 can be prevented easily, and fairly cheaply. There are usually a couple being broken so parts can be bought for very little. For anyone considering one, buy one for peanuts, keep £1200 under your mattress if you really are worried about future air problems and have coils put on. Put in a new radiator for £90 to take away concerns of gearbox probs, and you'll have a superb limo and peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links