Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

57/08 220d Is It Worth Buying?

I am looking at purchasing a new car for daily driving, I cover around 30,000 miles a year and was looking into the 220D but all I seem to find Is horror stories, is this just the earlier models or where they a nightmare the hole way through? I have about 5K to spend and the Lexus looked like the best for value in this budget, looking for any advice anyone could give.

Many people on here will tell you not to touch one with a barge pole, but. I have an 09 plate, travel around 22k a year and the only problem I have had is with the egr valve caking up with carbon deposits. If you keep that clean, then it's as good as any other vehicle in my opinion. I get 37/8 mpg on supermarket fuel with one tank of shell regular evry now and again, if I take over 40 miles at one session that goes up to 42.

Hope that helps.

That's great cheers, I was worried about all the problems that 'could' appear as I don't earn enough to justify spending megabucks repairing the car every 3 months, but in reality a BMW or AUDI in the same price bracket have next to no features and are extremely common

... in reality a BMW or AUDI in the same price bracket have next to no features and are extremely common

Same issues as well:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=audi+dpf

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bmw+dpf

The same issue for the same reason, diesel cars are not suited to everyone's driving needs. If you regularly do short journeys then diesel engines are going to give you maintenance woes.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2012/1/9/problems-with-diesel-particulate-filters-may-push-companies-towards-petrol/42044/

I am aware of this, but my commute is a good 35-40 miles either way 60% motorway so I concluded a diesel would be better, that is if I could realistically get around 40mpg out of a 220d... How can I tell when buying a car if its been driven correctly? don't want to be buying the thing to find it breaks a month later

i get 42 on normal motorway drives and at one point ive had 47 but just kinda depends if youve had anything done to the car, ive got a different exhaust on mine so ive lost the two big centre cats and a k and n filter which really do help even driving at 75 in 6th is doable.

head gasket would be a good check on that age of car and depending on miles as they are quite prone to go

mines actually up for sale on eBay at the moment

is all about the miles, 22k is a lot of them. If you do the miles you say you do it may be worth a shot! thing is the is250 is pretty economical too, especially on motorways where you can get high 30s mpg.

You need to balance things up, since I had my car bought just over a year ago all I had to change was a water pump, which is a known issue on them at around 50k miles.

I think you should take a 250 and a 220d for a drive and see how you feel, you will be spending most time and money on this investment after all.

Also bear in mind the difference in road tax, currently the 220d is £180 ( tax band G). the 250 is tax band L and according to the vca website that will be £490. both these figures are taken from the government website and are current since 1st april this year.

If I go to look around at some IS220d's and maybe a is250 (auto or manual?) what are common signs that the head gasket is about to go, or that I will get crap mpg?

You're right...the tax can be a factor...but your figures are missing something important.

Diesel 220 (manual) circa £180pa

Petrol 250 (manual) circa £490, but I believe 05/06 models are £290 pa

Petrol 250 (auto) circa £290

On a decent run I can get 36mpg from my 250 auto (40 if I try really hard).

my tax is mental, but I would rather pay double the tax and drive this over any diesel tbh.

Head gaskets don't go in a 250, unless it has been driven to the moon and back with no servicing?

If I go to look around at some IS220d's and maybe a is250 (auto or manual?) what are common signs that the head gasket is about to go, or that I will get crap mpg?

You'd need to be Uri Geller to know in advance of the Head going.

I had a 220d. Full Lexus servicing, 6 stamps in the book.....head went 6 weeks later!! Didn't even know it had gone....it went in for a service and suspected pin hole in the exhaust!!!

They can drive well even with head gone.

You'd want to look at the water reservoir. It should be pink liquid only, clear,no oil droplets and no exhaust smell.

Remove oil filler cap and look for mayonnaise type sludge in the neck of the cap.

Go and drive all 3 variants...see which you like best. Try as many as you can find...do not rush.

I've seen 42mpg out of my IS250 auto a couple of times on motorway runs. Factor in petrol being considerably cheaper than diesel and it makes the IS220d seem less relevant?

Me too.

Just back from 2 weeks in France.

On my run from Le Havre to south of Clermont Ferrand I was showing 43.2 on the autoroute for 400 miles or so.

Once off the AR and twisting into the Auvergne region it came back to 34.

I would get a different car tbh then, I would not get a diesel lexus just for the image or looks. Just my opinion! A subaru legacy for instance would be a good car, can get them in 2 litres and it won't break down.

They (Scoobies) cost a fortune to maintain properly and they drink fuel - lots of fun though. Not a medium distance commuter.

More mundane choices abound - I hate to recommend anything in particular, but cars like Toyota Auris and Mazda 3 come to mind.

I certainly wouldn't contemplate a £5K 220D - got to have problems at that price level.

Didnt think Legacy's were bad, at all? Thats news to me. I was contemplating a 3.0R for a bit. They are petrol, N/A and Japanese. They might use some oil but buy and large should be pretty bullet proof. For 5k you would get a pretty decent one.

A 2.4 Accord might be worth a shot, I had one before the Lexus. Bomb proof, as they are.

The Problem with an Is250 is insurance for me as it would be almost twice the insurance of the 220d as I've only been driving for just over a year

Considering your circumstances I'd go for the diesel lexus. Like you say, other makes have the same diesel issues, but have less toys - making the Lexus good value for money.

As Normski pointed out, head gaskets are pretty unpredictable, but if there are existing problems they will have certain indicators. For instance, mine had a leaking coolant pump, which was spraying a small amount of coolant onto one side of the engine. This is a common problem with both diesel and petrol lexus's (and toyotas), but I didn't spot it till I had the car a few days. Another issue was the discs were slightly corroded. Both items were sorted out by the dealer. You can buy a wrong'un regardless of what lump lies under its bonnet, so I'd be more inclined to buy from a dealer to ensure all problems are easily sorted, should you spot something post sale.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links