Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aargh Help!

Bazza

any one have any advice

i thought i would give my IS200 a quick onceover

checked all the levels

and decided to change the air filter

having difficulty getting to one of the screws

took the oil cap off and somehow managed to loose grip of the small 2inch allen key i had in my hand and guess where it ended up !

advice needed

oooohhhh dear :excl::ohmy: i would try getting a small flexible magnetic pick up tool and have a feel around for it (i am assuming that you cant see the alan key????) - if all else fails, u might end up taking the cover off - its nothing toooo major though.

be careful if using a mechanical pick up tool, assuming you can see the allen key because if you nudge it then it go further down/inside - make sure you have steady hands im speaking from experience, i dropped a little bolt on the edge of a drive shaft hole in a gas turbine i was rebuilding, it went down the hole and i then spent the rest of the day stripping the gearbox and casings to get to it :crybaby: just be careful :excl:

told you i wasnt a mechanic

but is it a matter of removing some bolts

just looking at it makes me worried

how long would it take a competent mechanic to do

do you think the rac would do it

they would have to come to me

really dont need this after christmas

Just had a look at my engine bay. I haven't taken the cam cover off before but looking at it, it is not a 5 minute job.

The air filter box has to be completly removed, coil packs from the spark plugs and the wiring pulled back, various pipes disconnected and brackets removed. If you are careful the gaskets could be reused, although at the front by the vvt-i actuator there seems to be some sealant so that will need to be reapplied otherwise you will get oil leaks.

Looking down the oil filler it you can see the camshaft but to the right to goes straight down to the botton of the head.

I think a gentle feel around with a flexible magnetic tool is your best bet. It shouldn't be too far away and you may get luckly and fish it out.

probaly depend on the aa bloke involved some go out of there way to help and others have a tow it attitude.had a cambelt come of as one of the top pullys came undone on a mk1 supra once aa bloke took 3 hours stripping it down putting it back together and doing the timeing again at the side of the a30 in the dark ,top bloke.give em a call and cross your fingers you never know

is your car under warranty? just put the cap back on and start it, then phone ur dealer and say you have a funny noise coming from the engine - problem solved. ;) :unsure::blink: :mat:

Yeah, problem solved until they find out why it was rattling !!! :lol:

is your car under warranty?  just put the cap back on and start it, then phone ur dealer and say you have a funny noise coming from the engine - problem solved.  ;)  :unsure:  :blink:  :mat:

i was coming back from the supermarket and then heard this funny noise so i called you guys - honest guv' :ph34r:

is your car under warranty?  just put the cap back on and start it, then phone ur dealer and say you have a funny noise coming from the engine - problem solved.  ;)  :unsure:  :blink:  :mat:

i was coming back from the supermarket and then heard this funny noise so i called you guys - honest guv' :ph34r:

Well sir,

We found the remains of what looks like a 2mm alen key ! :ohmy: :winky:

Do you have any idea how it got there ? :whistling:

By the way, heres your bill..... :crybaby:

big relief

a very nice man turned up

with some tools that wouldnt look out of place in operating theatre

shone a torch onto a mirror device

pushed a long aerial type tool down

pulled it out, and hey presto! allen key on the end

very impressive

i am very releived

and yes i did give him a good drink

big relief

a very nice man turned up

with some tools that wouldnt look out of place in operating theatre

shone a torch onto a mirror device

pushed a long aerial type tool down

pulled it out, and hey presto! allen key on the end

very impressive

i am very releived

and yes i did give him a good drink

that would be an inspection mirror and a magnetic pick up then

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links