Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving From A Ct To An Is

Hi, I have noticed that many of you have moved from a CT to an IS and I have been considering the same. Whether it is wanting to move up in the Lexus range, as for many the CT is the first Lexus, or wanting to see why the IS has won so many awards.

However I see the CT and IS to be different cars for different markets. the CT is a front wheel drive hatchback and the IS a rear wheel drive saloon. Personally I have only ever driven front wheel hatchbacks or estates. I see the CT as more practical (although I have already proved that the wife's Honda Jazz has a bigger boot then the CT) and the IS as more of a motorway cruiser (I don't go on the motorway much).

So my question is. If you have moved from a CT to and IS (or the other way round), what were your reasons and how does living with the cars compare?

When I have seen the NX is a showroom they look so big so this puts me off those.

Thanks

Paul.

Hi, I have noticed that many of you have moved from a CT to an IS and I have been considering the same. Whether it is wanting to move up in the Lexus range, as for many the CT is the first Lexus, or wanting to see why the IS has won so many awards.

However I see the CT and IS to be different cars for different markets. the CT is a front wheel drive hatchback and the IS a rear wheel drive saloon. Personally I have only ever driven front wheel hatchbacks or estates. I see the CT as more practical (although I have already proved that the wife's Honda Jazz has a bigger boot then the CT) and the IS as more of a motorway cruiser (I don't go on the motorway much).

So my question is. If you have moved from a CT to and IS (or the other way round), what were your reasons and how does living with the cars compare?

When I have seen the NX is a showroom they look so big so this puts me off those.

Thanks

Paul.

NX is not much bigger than the IS at all. Cars always look huge in the showroom for some reason.

Personally, Im not a huge fan of the CT, I dont think it drives as well as the IS and have never considered it to be a true Lexus as it shares a LOT of underpinnings with the Prius and Auris.

The IS is a step up from the CT no doubt - You wont look back!

99% of the time you wouldn't tell the difference between front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, unless you purposely want to get the back end out or there is snow on the ground.

The current IS rear seats fold down so it isn't as impractical as a more traditional saloon. As you say the CT doesn't have a big boot anyway - one reason I'm reluctant to upgrade my wife's Prius to a CT is the lack of space.

I'd recommend you test drive one and make up your own mind. The biggest difference is the refinement, the IS engine doesn't have to rev up nearly as much as the CT engine.

I went from an RX300 to a CT200h in 2011 which was a big step down and whilst it saved me a load of momney in fuel, insurance and road tax it never really felt like the Lexus I was usd to. The ride was way too hard and the road noise intrusive on rough surfaces and engine note on steep hills or hard acceleration was always something that irritated me, I liked it but never loved it. Switched to a 300h in June and the difference is night and day. Better ride quality even on18" rims, much quieter, engine note is far (by a long way) less CVT ish such that I hardly notice it, acceleration better, interior is superior, infact there is no real comparison. Fuel consumption is currently 48mpg average calculated (trip says 51.5mpg) over 6 weeks versus 53mpg over 4 years ownership of the CT so I am fairly happy with that as the other benefits outweigh the reduction. Get the 300 and imo you wont be sorry

I went from an RX300 to a CT200h in 2011 which was a big step down and whilst it saved me a load of momney in fuel, insurance and road tax it never really felt like the Lexus I was usd to. The ride was way too hard and the road noise intrusive on rough surfaces and engine note on steep hills or hard acceleration was always something that irritated me, I liked it but never loved it. Switched to a 300h in June and the difference is night and day. Better ride quality even on18" rims, much quieter, engine note is far (by a long way) less CVT ish such that I hardly notice it, acceleration better, interior is superior, infact there is no real comparison. Fuel consumption is currently 48mpg average calculated (trip says 51.5mpg) over 6 weeks versus 53mpg over 4 years ownership of the CT so I am fairly happy with that as the other benefits outweigh the reduction. Get the 300 and imo you wont be sorry

Have to agree with Chris - I came from a 1 Series BMW to the IS - its only when I have had a loan car when the IS is in for servicing that I have had a CT to use (4 or 5 times). As a town car IMHO the CT has a poor ride for a premium small fwd 'hatchback', although if using for motorway journeys the ride quality is actually quite acceptable and although far less powerful than IS it is adequate for this kind of cruising. Don't known if it was me or not, but rear visibility in CT seems very poor compared with IS.

I bought a CT in April, and I'm fairly happy with it, but will look to change it to an IS in a couple of years. 80% of the journeys in it are solo, but for the other 20% it does feel tight on space. I'm 6'2 and don't think I would comfortably fit if I was any bigger plus I have to have the seat all the way back

I love the hybrid drive train, but wish it had just a little more get up and go with a few less RPM, but the biggest issue for me is that the Mrs has a heavy foot and she does about half the mileage in it. She works shifts so is often driving on the motorway when its quiet resulting in her "pressing on" which has a very negative effect on consumption. I think that this might be addressed by the larger engine in the IS

with regards to the RWD drive Vs FWD I disagree with Colin, you can notice the difference, albeit not so much during normal driving in traffic or down the motorway.

Positives:

• Better steering feel, especially accelerating out of a corner.
  • Better off the line grip.
  • Balanced feel when hard cornering.
  • No torque steer.

Negatives:

• Increased risk of oversteer when accelerating out of corners (wet / cold).
  • Poor Snow grip.

Largely down to Engine placement.

FWD, Generally Engine Mass is in front of the front axle.

RWD, Engine is pushed rearwards allowing the wheels to sit further forward meaning engine mass is between the axles and weight is distributed equally between the front and rear axles.

Hence front wheel drive car prone to understeer, even when converted to AWD.

with regards to the RWD drive Vs FWD I disagree with Colin, you can notice the difference, albeit not so much during normal driving in traffic or down the motorway.

Positives:

• Better steering feel, especially accelerating out of a corner.
  • Better off the line grip.
  • Balanced feel when hard cornering.
  • No torque steer.

Negatives:

• Increased risk of oversteer when accelerating out of corners (wet / cold).
  • Poor Snow grip.

Largely down to Engine placement.

FWD, Generally Engine Mass is in front of the front axle.

RWD, Engine is pushed rearwards allowing the wheels to sit further forward meaning engine mass is between the axles and weight is distributed equally between the front and rear axles.

Hence front wheel drive car prone to understeer, even when converted to AWD.

In general yes but the CT doesn't really have enough power to suffer from torque steer and the benefits of RWD are mostly irrelevant in the IS when you are driving along trying to make the most out of the hybrid drivetrain. I was specifically referring to the CT vs IS.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a test drive on an IS last week whilst my CT was in for service. Very impressed, it is a step up from the CT. I was looking at a mesa red advance with ivory leather. But the dealer threw me by saying they had one in stock and could do it for less than £500 a month if I took delivery this month. He even brought one to my house in the evening so my wife could see it. Not sure of having a new car this time of year though, going into winter and all that. So will have another look in the spring. Can't wait.

I thought they were on three months delivery.

Had a test drive on an IS last week whilst my CT was in for service. Very impressed, it is a step up from the CT. I was looking at a mesa red advance with ivory leather. But the dealer threw me by saying they had one in stock and could do it for less than £500 a month if I took delivery this month. He even brought one to my house in the evening so my wife could see it. Not sure of having a new car this time of year though, going into winter and all that. So will have another look in the spring. Can't wait.

I thought they were on three months delivery.

A factory order would be a three month wait, a stock car, well it's in stock lol. I can't see anything wrong with having a new car at this time of the year either!

And you're right, it's definitely a step up on the CT.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Moved from a CT to IS last month.

It's an higher category car and you can feel it in every possible detail: power, smoothness, silence, handling, comfort, quality in general.

The only downside I see is fuel consumption. Typically from 10% to 15% more, mainly caused by the impossibility to resist to the amazing powerful acceleration ;)

Inviato dal mio Iphone utilizzando Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links